Gear oil and sports diff oil changes

mercules

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm due a second stronic oil change on my 13 plate S4. I have tried to ask Audi to quote me for additional gear box oil change and also sports diff oil change but they won't budge on their lifetime oils nonsense from Audi UK. They only want to do the ATF an seals on the stronic.

Does anyone know of a garage in London or Essex that can do this work? I don't fancy taking it to my local Indy as they haven't done it before.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

To be honest it is a DIY-able job, just drop and refill, just make sure you (or the garage) open the correct bolts as the ATF fill opening is not too far from the gearbox fill opening and it could be a costly mistake if done wrong. Car also needs to be perfectly level which means 4 axle stands or a proper lift. Pretty sure Audi insist on a 4-post ramp or pit in their workshop manual.

Audi might not do the work, but they will supply the oil, so I would buy that from them to be sure it's the proper stuff as I cannot find the proper gearbox oil spec anywhere. @creweaudiparts on here will be able to supply you the parts (they are an Audi dealer / forum sponsor) and deliver to your door.

If you want I can dig out the proper pages from ELSAwin (Audi official workshop manual) and post them up so you can see what needs doing and even give the info to your indy so they will know exactly what steps Audi say to follow if it's their first time. ELSA also shows torque specs for bolts, etc.

Reactions: mercules
To be honest it is a DIY-able job, just drop and refill, just make sure you (or the garage) open the correct bolts as the ATF fill opening is not too far from the gearbox fill opening and it could be a costly mistake if done wrong. Car also needs to be perfectly level which means 4 axle stands or a proper lift. Pretty sure Audi insist on a 4-post ramp or pit in their workshop manual.

Audi might not do the work, but they will supply the oil, so I would buy that from them to be sure it's the proper stuff as I cannot find the proper gearbox oil spec anywhere. @creweaudiparts on here will be able to supply you the parts (they are an Audi dealer / forum sponsor) and deliver to your door.

If you want I can dig out the proper pages from ELSAwin (Audi official workshop manual) and post them up so you can see what needs doing and even give the info to your indy so they will know exactly what steps Audi say to follow if it's their first time. ELSA also shows torque specs for bolts, etc.
Hi Mario,

Thanks that's great help. I'm happy to do changes like sparks filters intakes etc but don't fancy attempting the gearbox oil myself so would pay a indy.

If you could point me in the right direction for the correct bolts I'll owe you a !

And yes definitely will be getting the oils from Audi just a shame they won't do the work.

Thanks,RRP for the Gear oil,filter,filter seal and 2 plug washer is £170.69 i can do them for £145.00

Thanks

Is that only for the gearbox? Or for the gearbox and the rear differential? OP was asking about both, so would have thought he would need 4 plug washers (2 fill bolts and 2 drain bolts).

Again, correct me if I am wrong (don't have my laptop to hand), but I was pretty sure the filter was only for the ATF fluid?

Mechanical geared part of the gearbox and rear differential don't have filters from what I can remember, but again, I don't have my laptop to hand, and you'll obviously have access to ELSA / ETKA infront of you to check.

Guys I'm at work so haven't had enough time to get on this properly today. I've managed to hear back from Indy that will do the work so just need to make sure they know what they are doing. I'm going to get Audi to do the stronic change at £225 ATF but indy can do the diff and gear oil. I've found on the forums some part numbers on a DIY section will want to make sure they are correct. Then will place the order for materials from Audi's sponsors here!

Guys I'm at work so haven't had enough time to get on this properly today. I've managed to hear back from Indy that will do the work so just need to make sure they know what they are doing. I'm going to get Audi to do the stronic change at £225 ATF but indy can do the diff and gear oil. I've found on the forums some part numbers on a DIY section will want to make sure they are correct. Then will place the order for materials from Audi's sponsors here!

Should also say thanks again for your inputs.

Don't know where you are in London, but I have a brilliant indy near me in Bexleyheath, called Sanspeed.

They did an ATF change on the ZF 6-speed auto in my old B7, and will be doing the S-Tronic oil change on my S4 soon.

Don't know where you are in London, but I have a brilliant indy near me in Bexleyheath, called Sanspeed.

They did an ATF change on the ZF 6-speed auto in my old B7, and will be doing the S-Tronic oil change on my S4 soon.
I'm north of the river but for the right guys travelling in London isn't an issue. I'll get a quote from them Thanks

@mercules if you do find a good indy please let me know as I'm in essex as well and want my gearbox serviced

Download links to Audi workshop manual pages for gearbox & rear diff oil changes. Rear diff looks like it requires some special tools and it also has 2 fluids, ATF & mechanical gear oil.

You will need VCDS to perform adaptations when changing the rear diff ATF fluid and when changing the gearbox gear oil if there is a temp sensor in place of the drain plug.

Gearbox oil.... https://mega.nz/#!tFgwECpS!cgDqCNyk_POs2zLvMbHAz4pVipjvQnIF4fEEVGGwiGo

Rear diff oil... https://mega.nz/#!lQIgUaDQ!_N0qt76oe04jvpqXBMpmKv-5MjosO8rRdQjTA2cxdHY

Also, there is no filter! Filter is only for the ATF gearbox (S-Tronic) fluid as I thought.

@creweaudiparts I am guessing the original price of £145 was for the ATF oil / filters which the OP won't need as it's being done at his local dealership, however it's handy to know as I will need some for my car soon ;)

All in all the car has 4 fluids in the drive train (gearbox MTF & ATF and rear diff MTF & ATF), but the official word from Audi is to only replace 1 of these fluids (gearbox ATF) for the entire life of the car....madness!!

Last edited:
Reactions: mercules and DieselJake
Soon? Isn't your car only a few months past 2 years old?
Yes, but I'm taking no chances. I certainly won't wait until 38,000 miles; it'll be in the spring of next year, by which time it'll have done about 25,000 miles.

Trying to put a part list together for the gearbox oil and also rear diff but not got concrete list as different threads suggesting different parts.

@creweaudiparts can you help me out please?

Full list of parts for doing the gearbox oil inclusive of whatever Audi would change out assuming fill/drain bolts etc

Same for the rear diff please with the prices so I can order.

So after I have all of this done and the stronic service from the dealer I should have my gearbox fully swapped fluids and center diff shares oil with gears/syncros and rear diff.

Hi,

@mercules yeh course if you PM your reg ill get it sent over.

Thanks
@creweaudiparts

can i please PM you my Reg number , in looking for the same below ;

Full list of parts for doing the Stronic Gearbobox oil , manual gear oil and rear diff inclusive of whatever Audi would change out assuming fill/drain bolts and filters etc

Last edited:
Reactions: creweaudiparts
Download links to Audi workshop manual pages for gearbox & rear diff oil changes. Rear diff looks like it requires some special tools and it also has 2 fluids, ATF & mechanical gear oil.

You will need VCDS to perform adaptations when changing the rear diff ATF fluid and when changing the gearbox gear oil if there is a temp sensor in place of the drain plug.

Gearbox oil.... https://mega.nz/#!tFgwECpS!cgDqCNyk_POs2zLvMbHAz4pVipjvQnIF4fEEVGGwiGo

Rear diff oil... https://mega.nz/#!lQIgUaDQ!_N0qt76oe04jvpqXBMpmKv-5MjosO8rRdQjTA2cxdHY

Also, there is no filter! Filter is only for the ATF gearbox (S-Tronic) fluid as I thought.

@creweaudiparts I am guessing the original price of £145 was for the ATF oil / filters which the OP won't need as it's being done at his local dealership, however it's handy to know as I will need some for my car soon ;)

All in all the car has 4 fluids in the drive train (gearbox MTF & ATF and rear diff MTF & ATF), but the official word from Audi is to only replace 1 of these fluids (gearbox ATF) for the entire life of the car....madness!!
Hi Mario , do you have the PDF for the ATF oil and filter change ?