Gearbox & Diff oil replaced

MooLard

Reaction score
Morning all

Seeing as it was the lady's birthday yesterday I took the day off and replaced some old old fluids in my car. The car is a 1.9 tdi quattro with 140k miles, although the gearbox and diff are supposedly sealed for life I am likely to run the car for longer than Audi expects (over 100k miles).
eBay was my friend here as EuroCarParts sell the right oil for under £30 on there. I thought I needed an M16 security spline tool to drain my gearbox too but upon inspection it's 10mm allen shaped fill and drain plugs! Upon further reading maybe the M16 security spline is for the B7 model.
Anyhows, for your reference the gearbox and transfer box has two drain holes in order to get all of the fluid out, one fill hole to re-fill. Always make sure you can open the fill hole before draining, just in case! I got over 2 litres out and re-filled with just over 2.5 litres to get level with the fill hole.
The rear diff wasn't bad to do either, got just over a litre in to that too.

For re-filling it's easier to have a pump of some sort but I did not have this but I did have a small nozzle adapter for the bottle so my sister kindly did the upper end while I held the pipe and monitored the fill level.

The transmission didn't feel bad by any means in my car, it does feel a bit smoother now and hopefully will last a lot more miles of abuse in the future. Oh, a mechanic friend did suggest I recheck the levels after 50 miles, I did have the car slightly off level on purpose to over-fill slightly rather than under on purpose though, so hopefully all will be good.

Totally worth-while doing, especially given the age of the B6 model.

What engine & gearbox do you have?

I did my gearbox and rear diff oil last year - need to do the rear diff again, but thinking about changing the box oil again.
I used Fuchs Sintofluid 75-80, but thinking about trying out some Redline oil (used it in my Ibiza Cupra 1.8T - it made the world of difference)
Which oil did you use? Im hoping not the TripleQX stuff!

I use a hosepipe and funnel to fill mine - you can stand by the side of the car.

Good morning!

Yes my car is a 130 bhp 1.9 tdi quattro sport, think the engine code is AVF. It's a six speed gearbox, not sure of the model number on that though.
You guessed it I did use TripleQX, it was fully synthetic 75w90 and had gl-4 and gl-5 noted on it. What do you think it wrong with that oil, it's wet and slippery isn't it?!!

Oh, and how come you want to do your rear diff oil again, depending on how long I keep the car I won't do mine again for another 60-80k miles.

Don't take my word as gospel by any means, but I believe VAG 6-speed transmissions are very susceptible to the wrong type of gearbox oil.
I'm guessing this is due to the different types of metals used in the box (brass, copper, aluminium.etc) - also the seals.

For the 6-speed transmissions the oil must meet the requirements / part number; G 052911 A1/A2 - GL-5.
The ONLY other oil I have found that meets the above requirement other than VAG oil is Fuchs Titan Sintofluid 75-80.

I'm wanting to change the rear diff oil again as its been 50k since I last changed it - I like things to be fairly fresh.
Again, the only other oil I have found that meets the VAG requirements is Fuchs Titan Sintopoid 75-85.

Afternoon!

Cool thanks for the insight on this the research is most appreciated. I see what you mean now about the factors to consider as in the various types of metals in the gearbox as well as seals, Audi specifically have different part numbers for oil in the gearbox and diff and it annoys me that it just lines their pockets even more because of this!
How much was the oil you last purchased for five litres, did you buy that much?
Fair do's on doing the diff again, smaller capacity warrants changing it more, right?

Do you get ur gearbox and diff oil from Audi Alex? I might aswell do mine as it's up on the ramps for another driveshaft joint that it's eaten!

Good thread this peeps.

Need to do mine at some point in the near future.

Is anyone able to provide any pics of the process for each? Would be very useful.

J:)

Hi good thread. I also have the 1.9 quattro. Changed gear box oil. Got oil from audi becauze i heard some oils are corrosive to brass internals. 21stg plus vat per litre, guts of 100 quid.Robbers. Have to do my diff now. Fuchs sounds good.....

Last edited:
Chor worrying me slightly now, I think I'll ask a few more local mechanics as Audi will always say their specific oil when we really want to know what else will go in there without trashing the parts.

Chor worrying me slightly now, I think I'll ask a few more local mechanics as Audi will always say their specific oil when we really want to know what else will go in there without trashing the parts.

Drop out the TripleQX crap and get some Fuchs in there.
Cheaper than a new gearbox.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the gearbox is actually filled to 7mm below the fill hole and that is quite important?

Drop out the TripleQX crap and get some Fuchs in there.
Cheaper than a new gearbox.

Be careful about throwing out this type of advice. Manufactures spend millions developing parts, especially assemblies like gear boxes and the oil is a part in that assembly which has a spec, follow manufactures guidelines and don't deviate. The assembly in question here is a precision engineered item.