Gearbox & Diff Oils

AlexGSi2000

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Just after some advice as I am wanting to change the oils in the gearbox and Differential.

Im unsure as to what grade of oil they take and also the quantity.

My car is a 2002 A4 Avant Quattro 2.5TDi.

Also - Do I need a special socket for draining the gearbox / diff oils?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Really? So the oil in the Torsen is sealed for life? - I thought It was good practice to keep oil fresh.

Torsen diffs sealed for life, I don't know anyone who has changed the diff oils.....

I was told the oil is 'sealed for life' too, but no harm in changing it. My 1st to 2nd gear seems better in the cold as a result, and the old oil was pretty thin and black.

I got the genuine stuff, at main dealer parts prices it was about £86 though. Still, it hadn't been changed for 120,000 miles, and probably won't need doing again!

I think it was 2.7 litres for the gearbox, and 1.5 litres for the rear diff, though it was specific and different oil for the gearbox and diff.

AG 051 911 A2 - Gearbox Oil - 3 x 1ltr bottles £14.97 excl VAT each

AG 052 145 A1 - Diff Oil - 3 x 0.5ltr bottles £8.75 excl VAT each

I have a 51 plate with 5 speed box, yours might be different, just check, but the parts guy said it was the same oil for all the quattro's. I had to buy a splined drive socket with the hole in the middle to remove the gearbox drain plug, and used a piece of hosepipe and funnel to refill. Check your fill plugs will come out before you drain too, my rear diff one was a pig to get out!

I was told the oil is 'sealed for life' too, but no harm in changing it. My 1st to 2nd gear seems better in the cold as a result, and the old oil was pretty thin and black.

I got the genuine stuff, at main dealer parts prices it was about £86 though. Still, it hadn't been changed for 120,000 miles, and probably won't need doing again!

I think it was 2.7 litres for the gearbox, and 1.5 litres for the rear diff, though it was specific and different oil for the gearbox and diff.

AG 051 911 A2 - Gearbox Oil - 3 x 1ltr bottles £14.97 excl VAT each

AG 052 145 A1 - Diff Oil - 3 x 0.5ltr bottles £8.75 excl VAT each

I have a 51 plate with 5 speed box, yours might be different, just check, but the parts guy said it was the same oil for all the quattro's. I had to buy a splined drive socket with the hole in the middle to remove the gearbox drain plug, and used a piece of hosepipe and funnel to refill. Check your fill plugs will come out before you drain too, my rear diff one was a pig to get out!

Many thanks Tooks!

The car has done 119k so probably good practise to get it changed - I changed the box oil on my Ibiza Cupra the other year and it did make a difference.

I have heard good things (and used it in the past) about Redline oils so will give those a try.

Does this look like the socket? DRAPER EXPERT 63476 - DRAIN PLUG KEY AUDI / VW GEARBOX | eBay

Many thanks Tooks!

The car has done 119k so probably good practise to get it changed - I changed the box oil on my Ibiza Cupra the other year and it did make a difference.

I have heard good things (and used it in the past) about Redline oils so will give those a try.

Does this look like the socket? DRAPER EXPERT 63476 - DRAIN PLUG KEY AUDI / VW GEARBOX | eBay

Yep, that's the same as the one I have.

The rear diff was just a normal spline drive drain plug.

i had a problem with my last A4, wouldnt go from 1st into 2nd.

the garage i took it to topped it up with oil and shoved in some molyslip...

Was a smooth as a cashmere codpiece after, couldnt believe the difference

This was i was told by Audi... "no you cant top it up, its a sealed for life unit"

Hi guys sorry to jump in on the thread but whilst i was changing the rear springs on my 2002 avant 2.5tdi quattro last week i noticed alot of oil around the rear subframe and on the left side backbox, would this be blown seals in the diff or a leak from somewhere else?

If this turns out to be blown seals could i just get the seals replaced or is it time for a new diff :banghead: 101k on the clock

Kind Regards

Jamie

I was only talking about the diff oils, have had the gearbox oil on mine changed and it also improved the gear change, however I would only use genuine Audi oil, a few people have used other stuff and experienced problems from other Forum posts....

Just to let you guys know, I got round to changing the gearbox oil yesterday (didn't manage to do the diff due to time).

Really easy job and worth doing in my opinion.

When draining the box, only 2 litres came out - as opposed to 3.4 litres specified.

As only two litres came out I was apprehensive as to whether 3.4 litres was correct - I confirmed this by searching the gearbox code & part number.

So far the difference has been noticeable - easier changing under all conditions whist feeling more "precise"

Just to let you guys know, I got round to changing the gearbox oil yesterday (didn't manage to do the diff due to time).

Really easy job and worth doing in my opinion.

When draining the box, only 2 litres came out - as opposed to 3.4 litres specified.

As only two litres came out I was apprehensive as to whether 3.4 litres was correct - I confirmed this by searching the gearbox code & part number.

So far the difference has been noticeable - easier changing under all conditions whist feeling more "precise"

sounds like a good contendor for a 'how to'......................:yes:

I used Fuchs Sintofluid 75w-80 for the gearbox & Fuchs Sintopoid 75w85 for the diff.

Just out of interest, what made you go for a more OEM choice over the Redline?

I had used Redline before in one of my previous cars - it worked well.

However, I read somewhere that VAG group cars can be pretty sensitive to the oil.
I knew Fuchs was made to the manufacturers guidelines and was approved, where as the Redline stuff is just made to the guidelines.
Thought it was probably best to use an approved oil.