Gearbox losing adjustment

mephisto

Reaction score
Our car has been in a few times for this procedure now and it keeps losing adjustment. Seems to be only on the sideways axis selecting reverse not up down 1/2 3/4 etc. Main issue being you have to almost select reverse now to get 1st gear. 1st gear is 3rd and so on.

Is this a new cable do the plastic ends wear out on the gearbox end or?

Video below illustrates how to calibrate

Reactions: abmat
OK i had these plastic ends fitted as we assumed the plastic teeth had worn causing it to lose grip of the cable and jump out of calibration, it lasted a few days and failed with same issue again. The Cables or one of them anyway ie the left right axis on gearstick goes out so when you select 1st it's slipping into reverse.

Any ideas? Do the ends of the cables wear too?? It seems to be the cable the operates the up/down axis of the gearbox selector.

Did the garage lock the gearbox with the little lever AND the gearstick by pulling up the gearstick surround and then lock it in place using a 5mm diameter rod before performing the cable reset?
Also work out whether the cable end should be further away or closer to make the selection successful by observing the cable end as someone cycles the gears. Tension or compression can be placed on the cable to almost tweak it with a mini manual adjustment whilst releasing the cable end from the cable. . You will see that there is some slack on the cables before releasing the spring cable grab system that you can eliminate. Either tension or compression of the cable will make the problem worse but the opposite should make it better on the relevant cable.

Reactions: mephisto
Did the garage lock the gearbox with the little lever AND the gearstick by pulling up the gearstick surround and then lock it in place using a 5mm diameter rod before performing the cable reset?
Also work out whether the cable end should be further away or closer to make the selection successful by observing the cable end as someone cycles the gears. Tension or compression can be placed on the cable to almost tweak it with a mini manual adjustment whilst releasing the cable end from the cable. . You will see that there is some slack on the cables before releasing the spring cable grab system that you can eliminate. Either tension or compression of the cable will make the problem worse but the opposite should make it better on the relevant cable.
Thanks bud this makes sense. Not sure if he followed the full process as i have posted above via youtube im guessing he did as it went in not working and came out but for sure not sure if he reset both ends i will chat to him about this. Im pretty mechanic savvy myself but its time, hence i paid a mechanic to do this!
I may have a go later as you say resetting the other way to see if it helps. I was concerned the plastic teeth were slipping on the end of the cables which im guessing are threaded in some way.

If you get it set correctly, put a little dab of paint just where the gear cables enter the gripping ends. If the ends slip away with use you will see a gap open up where your paint marks are. Give the cables and ends a really thorough degreasing with brake cleaner to reduce the chance of slip before assembly.
In my S3, I still use the original ends but have replaced the rubber inserts with metal bushes. No chance of any slop.
However, you should be able to set up what you have bought properly.
I also have a 24 year old GTi with much the same arrangement. Never had the ends slip in nearly 150k miles.