Gearbox Malfunction: you may continue driving (S Tronic)

jimboy698

Reaction score
I had this message and have not found this solution in my search of forums etc so I will share it. It started as intermittent, became permanent and then it started holding on to the key because it said it was not in Park. The gear indicator lighting also behaved erratically. Fault code was P189000: Signal wire for Tiptronic Electrical error. I eventually found that the ground connections in the centre console were 0.5 to 5 volts above a true ground. This was preventing the Tiptronic and Park sensors from working properly. The ground point was failing, but was inaccessible without removing the whole console. I ran a new brown ground wire from a dashboard mounting bolt (accessible from the fuse box cover) to the cigar lighter connector. The studs holding the gearchange assembly were not reliable grounds.

Reactions: MuPPeT_ON_TouR
Good find. Unfortunately I imagine that your problem was rare and for most people who get this message for (likely) older s-tronic cars, it indicates that something more serious is wrong.

I had this message and have not found this solution in my search of forums etc so I will share it. It started as intermittent, became permanent and then it started holding on to the key because it said it was not in Park. The gear indicator lighting also behaved erratically. Fault code was P189000: Signal wire for Tiptronic Electrical error. I eventually found that the ground connections in the centre console were 0.5 to 5 volts above a true ground. This was preventing the Tiptronic and Park sensors from working properly. The ground point was failing, but was inaccessible without removing the whole console. I ran a new brown ground wire from a dashboard mounting bolt (accessible from the fuse box cover) to the cigar lighter connector. The studs holding the gearchange assembly were not reliable grounds.

Hey I am having a similar issue with my car i get:

p189000- signal wire for tiptronic, electrical error
p176100- shift lock magnet short to ground
u012600 - lost communication to steering angle sensor
P175800- terminal 15 voltage supply open circuit

The car seems to not know it is in park. wont crank wont start.

wondering if you can explain your fix a bit more in detail.

Can you post a picture of what you did I have the same problem please thanks !

Hi. I have a similar issue on my 2016 VW Amarok Highline and have not been able to find a solution. I appreciate any help. Thank you so much

Attachments

• Palanca1.jpeg
    Palanca1.jpeg
    287.7 KB · Views: 366
Getting the same error gearbox malfunction audi a6 2012 with the following fault codes anyone seem to have fixed the problem?

Attachments

• 20230123_171429.jpg
    20230123_171429.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 282