Gearbox oil change, strange aftermath!!

seany26

Reaction score
Changed the oil in my gearbox last week and ever since I've been finding it hard to get into second until the car warms up! Does anyone have any experience with this happening?
Looks like a few synchros could be needing changed.

Has anyone even rebuilt there own gearbox before?

Alot swear by the oem 75w 90 VAG stuff.

And it's that and a Castrol oil that had a certain VAG spec.

Is the Gulf compatible ?

Usually 5 speeds like 75w 90 and 6 speeds 75w 80.

However cold shifting can be improved in a 5 speed by going to a 75w 80.

Opie Oils recommends Fuchs Titan for VAG.

This is one of the oils they recommended for me. This is just typical, I try to do and good thing and use supposedly better oil than standard stuff and this happens.:think:

I'm sort of thinking my second synchro wasn't that good to start out and because the old oil had broken down allowing better shift maybe putting the new oil in has highlighted the problem because it's new?

No idea mate, but the Gulf Competition doesn't have any VW spec recommendations, whereas the synthetic Fuchs Titan does.

These are not VW approved, but Fuchs own recommendations that it would meet or exceed the spec.

as above always stick to vag approved

Alot swear by the oem 75w 90 VAG stuff.

And it's that and a Castrol oil that had a certain VAG spec.

Usually 5 speeds like 75w 90 and 6 speeds 75w 80.

However cold shifting can be improved in a 5 speed by going to a 75w 80.

Opie Oils recommends Fuchs Titan for VAG.

sorry to hijack - Would i need 75w 80 for an A4 B7 1.9TDi with a 5 speed box? Anyone know which VAG codes the oil needs to have? I believe the gearbox code is GYA.

It seems to struggle getting into gear when cold and I dont like forcing it because it will eventually damage the synchro's and cause a bigger drama. Or should I leave it as my mechanic says the gearboxes are sealed for life...

The change from 1st to 2nd on mine isn't - and never has been - as slick as I'd like. I got Audi to comment on it when I got the car and it was still in warranty from the dealer who supplied it. They lubed the linkage, which helped, and felt all was ok. In the 60k miles I've done since it's neither improved or deteriorated.

sorry to hijack - Would i need 75w 80 for an A4 B7 1.9TDi with a 5 speed box? Anyone know which VAG codes the oil needs to have? I believe the gearbox code is GYA.

It seems to struggle getting into gear when cold and I dont like forcing it because it will eventually damage the synchro's and cause a bigger drama. Or should I leave it as my mechanic says the gearboxes are sealed for life...

Gearboxes have a so called life fluid fill.

A bad idea and problems could of been avoided with a service interval.

Generally 5 speeds prefer 75w 90 and 6 speeds 75w 80 , whereas a 90 is speced.

Often a fresh change improves things or for more stubborn cold shifts dropping down a viscosity can sort it, slight economy gains with thinner oil too.

Don't be blinkered by the genuine vag oil, it's a bit like saying only use 1 brand of engine oil and viscosity when viscosity can be chosen to suit a certain situation. IIRC the gearbox oils have been made by Castrol and Fuchs.

Last edited:
Gearboxes have a so called life fluid fill.

A bad idea and problems could of been avoided with a service interval.

Generally 5 speeds prefer 75w 90 and 6 speeds 75w 80 , whereas a 90 is speced.

Often a fresh change improves things or for more stubborn cold shifts dropping down a viscosity can sort it, slight economy gains with thinner oil too.

Don't be blinkered by the genuine vag oil, it's a bit like saying only use 1 brand of engine oil and viscosity when viscosity can be chosen to suit a certain situation. IIRC the gearbox oils have been made by Castrol and Fuchs.

Cheers for the info. I'm not sure why manufacturers have this "longlife" servicing, seems to cause more problems. I'd rather change my engine/gearbox oil for the price of a full tank of diesel then pay for engine/gearbox repairs!!

Can the gearbox oil change be done at home with the car on ramps? I usually change my own oil so i'm not too bad with the spanners...I imagine the gearbox in my B7 is very similar if not the same as the 5 speed B6 1.9TDi's in terms of oil spec and sump plug locations?

I'm sure there will be a guide somewhere here.

The LongLife engine oil servicing interval is stupid but the LongLife oil is superior.

This longlife stuff is just so they appear cheaper to run as they cost less to service over time for the first owners. Trouble is, it just causes trouble for owners later down the line, but by then it's out of warranty so the dealers don't care and the first owners have normally long since got rid so they don't care either.

I run my cars on longlife oils but do 10k changes which is usually every 3 months.

Reactions: Gazwould
I went with the Fuchs 75w-80 gear oil and the bad gear change is practically gone!!