Gearbox problems..

AudiSport

Reaction score
Hi guys,

About 6-months ago I purchased a 2010 A4 Avant 3.0TDi Quattro. However recently I’ve noticed a really annoying lag / hesitation that occurres when pulling away from a junction etc. It mainly happens from a very slow rolling start, say after you pull up to a junction, slow down to a walking pace and then accelerate... but nothing, nothing, nothing clunk and your off. Needless to say it is very annoying. After Googling various ‘hesitation’ frases ive found lots of similar stories all indicating it is a trait of the car, however I refuse to believe this... I can’t quite decide if the issue is caused by clutch slip, or the gearbox changing to 2nd too early and getting lost between the two gears when I’m trying to make progress..

The car has done 100k miles with full Audi history, although the gearbox has never been serviced. The box is a ZF Tiptronic, and I believe Audi state they are sealed for life? Although I understand this is considered nonsense.

Naturally a good gearbox service is a good place to start. Should I start reaching for my wallet to by an extended warranty - would they even cover this? Or, is this really a ‘trate’ of this car?

Thank you in advance for your input. Aside from this, the car is lovely and in beautiful condition.

Also, it doesn’t seem to do it when cold, only once the car and gearbox has warmed up. This pulling away issue aside, the gearbox performs perfectly in all other driving situations.

I had a similar issue last week, the rod behind the brake pedal has a nut check that and see if it's loose, it attaches to your brake servo. Also see if your rotors are warped, this might be nonsense but when warmed up maybe the discs expand slightly causing it to rub that's why it's only when it happens when slow. Also does it happen in reverse? As for the service I would definatly change the fluid at most.

Interesting yours is the same! If you Google 3.0TDI hesitation there are loads of similar stories talking about the same issue, however despite various remedies there is no clear diagnosis and fix. People mention the break switch, gearbox software, turbo vains (?), fuel filter... interestingly some of the issues are regarding STronic gearboxes, with the same symptoms and speaking to the Audi Service Manager during my last service he said my car had a Tiptronic box..

I do hope a fix can be found, it is really ruining my ownership experience of this car, which i love -apart from the stupid hesitation issue. Grrrrr!

I have a 2.7tdi and mine has always done this. If it's multitronic then it is a strait of the box apparently

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mine is a 3.0tdi tiptronic. It is very annoying and pretty flipping jerky when trying to get away from roundabouts etc. Its better if you come to a full stop for a second, it manages to find a gear but even this flumuxes it sometimes .

Reactions: Buxton2901
Yes, mine is exactly the same. Pulling away from a complete stop is fine, the issue is from a very slow rolling start.

Reactions: Buxton2901
I have the ZF box in my A6 BiTDI and it's awful. I've had gearbox malfunction errors as well!
They clunk and hesitate - not happy and it's going back to Audi shortly.

Audi say it's sealed, but ZF say get the oil changed at 75k. So does that mean Audi think these cars are only going to last until 75k ?! Hardly "life" is it :wtf: