Geoff's B9 S4 Avant Thread

Got my first long drive in last weekend, and now just over 1,000 miles, so able to open it up a bit more. mpg is improving a little, though still a struggle to hit 20mpg on a short 4 miles journey to drop my daughter at college in the morning. Think I'll take the A1 when I can! :)

On the long motorway journey I got 33.6 mpg, not too bad for a brand new car, and cruising at usual motorway speeds. In the 50 mph zones it seemed to improve over that.

In stop/start traffic it plummets, which may be partly because mine never seems to auto stop/start. No matter what mode, what temperature, or what systems I have active, it just keeps ticking over and pops up the little Auto start symbol with a line through it. I've not got it disabled, and assume at first it was due to it being cold weather, or lots of short runs, or running it in, but it still keeps ticking over when stopped, even after a 250 mile journey.

Anyone else have a sulky auto stop/start?

I'll pop in to Audi sometime to see what they say.

Other glitches, Pre-sense has gone off twice for no reason, so I switched it from medium to late, and the VC rebooted once, early on. The most frustrating thing is that Audi Connect sometimes says there is no SIM in the car, and no matter what I do I can't get it to work. Yet sometime later, without changing anything, and it all starts to work again. In the same vein, my daughter could not get carplay to fire up with her iphone the other day. But after a stop start it worked fine! I think these systems are clearly a bit buggy, and hope they mature with a few updates.

Geoff

Yo.

Didn't have problems with start/stop early on. It's always been 'selective' in my experience though. More so on B8.5. The VC did reboot once early on and SIM card has dropped a couple of times. Again, early on in first 1k miles. No problems since and I'm at 2700 miles.

Oh. Tyres btw everyone who was checking/asking. They were all 2 PSI down from recommended running pressures. Sorted now and stored. Not liking the Hankooks. You, Geoff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are running the gearbox in sport mode it disables the start/stop, as does dynamic, and produces this symbol. If the climate is set very high it will also disable the start/stop. Any electrical loads will do the same...

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Pre-sense has gone off twice for no reason, so I switched it from medium to late

Interesting update, Geoff - thanks.

On the point above, I am not familiar with the technology as I've not had an Audi for years and years. What is Pre-sense, and what happens when it goes off?

Interesting update, Geoff - thanks.

On the point above, I am not familiar with the technology as I've not had an Audi for years and years. What is Pre-sense, and what happens when it goes off?

A loud bong, a big warning symbol on the Dash and a brief sharp application of the brakes. Very disconcerting if you are just maneuvering through a junction. Both times I think it has been because I am turning slightly and the pre-sense thinks a vehicle or road furniture is directly in my path when I am going to one side or the other of it.

This also happens occasionally with the Adaptive Cruise when passing vehicles in a different lane on a bend or junction. Pressing the throttle overrides it, so not as disconcerting as the pre-sense going off.

Geoff

If you are running the gearbox in sport mode it disables the start/stop, as does dynamic, and produces this symbol. If the climate is set very high it will also disable the start/stop. Any electrical loads will do the same...

Tried it in every mode and with every system switched off, including the air-con, so nothing showing in the electrical usage list. It still never auto-stops. Don't think it has ever done it, in 1200 miles of use.

I have tried disabling the auto-stop and re-enabling it. The symbol with the line through it disappears and then reappears when re-enabled, so it's clear the symbol means the car decided not to auto-stop rather than that auto-stop has been disabled.

I think many people here have stated that they don't like the auto-stop, so perhaps I should be glad it's not working, but actually I don't mind it and I guess it would save some fuel on short journeys through town.

Geoff

Yo.

Didn't have problems with start/stop early on. It's always been 'selective' in my experience though. More so on B8.5. The VC did reboot once early on and SIM card has dropped a couple of times. Again, early on in first 1k miles. No problems since and I'm at 2700 miles.

Oh. Tyres btw everyone who was checking/asking. They were all 2 PSI down from recommended running pressures. Sorted now and stored. Not liking the Hankooks. You, Geoff?

I'm not sure I am qualified to tell the difference between one tyre and another, but instinctively I would prefer a brand I am familiar with, such as the Conti's I saw on an S5. They had the advantage of a nice broad shoulder to protect the rims, and I would be inclined to try and get a set of them next time. I presume as fitted to the sportier car, they may be softer than the Hankooks, and I would trade grip and handling for a little faster wear, as tyres are cheaper than crashes!

I ended up on a very windy road near Bourne at the weekend, the first time I've had a chance to feel the handling of the car, and I had the Adaptive Suspension in Auto, having not yet had the time to switch it to Dynamic. The first sharp corner had a tight curb on the left and I was not overly impressed with the way the car took the corner. I guess I'm comparing it with my previous Boxsters and shouldn't expect a front-engined estate car to handle anywhere near as well as a mid-engined roadster, but I wonder if better tyres would improve confidence when cornering.

Also, I find the car moves around a lot at speed on poorly surfaced roads, no matter what mode I put the suspension in. It can be disconcerting as staying in your lane and avoiding the ditch requires concentration if the lanes are narrow and the car is moving around so much.

I guess I have been spoilt in the past, but I expected the car to handle a little better. Maybe the tyres will bed in as done less than 1,000 miles at the time, or maybe the sport differential would have helped, though it shouldn't need it. Perhaps it's just that Audi's don't hold the road the way that Porsche or BMW do?

Not really a problem for me, as I don't really drive like that very much at all, the roads are too busy and poorly surfaced and it's not good for my nerves as I get older...

Geoff

Reactions: duckduck and Thundercliffe81
I'm not sure I am qualified to tell the difference between one tyre and another, but instinctively I would prefer a brand I am familiar with, such as the Conti's I saw on an S5. They had the advantage of a nice broad shoulder to protect the rims, and I would be inclined to try and get a set of them next time. I presume as fitted to the sportier car, they may be softer than the Hankooks, and I would trade grip and handling for a little faster wear, as tyres are cheaper than crashes!

I ended up on a very windy road near Bourne at the weekend, the first time I've had a chance to feel the handling of the car, and I had the Adaptive Suspension in Auto, having not yet had the time to switch it to Dynamic. The first sharp corner had a tight curb on the left and I was not overly impressed with the way the car took the corner. I guess I'm comparing it with my previous Boxsters and shouldn't expect a front-engined estate car to handle anywhere near as well as a mid-engined roadster, but I wonder if better tyres would improve confidence when cornering.

Also, I find the car moves around a lot at speed on poorly surfaced roads, no matter what mode I put the suspension in. It can be disconcerting as staying in your lane and avoiding the ditch requires concentration if the lanes are narrow and the car is moving around so much.

I guess I have been spoilt in the past, but I expected the car to handle a little better. Maybe the tyres will bed in as done less than 1,000 miles at the time, or maybe the sport differential would have helped, though it shouldn't need it. Perhaps it's just that Audi's don't hold the road the way that Porsche or BMW do?

Not really a problem for me, as I don't really drive like that very much at all, the roads are too busy and poorly surfaced and it's not good for my nerves as I get older...

Geoff

The diff makes a big difference. Seriously. Certainly has the capability of throwing the power to rear and can feel the torque vectoring. Doesn't feel mechanical in nature (when it feels like it's slipping), it does feel like the grip. Which, as I've stated before, was never a problem in my B8.5 with other tyres. And I 'know' this car is much more adjustable in the corners.

So...gotta be tyres. They do have a good lip I think for the alloy but as you say, you've seen better. Again, it's only in the wet that there's an issue.

having not yet had the time to switch it to Dynamic.
Why, surely Audi haven't made the ADS button worse in the B9? In my B8.5 I have to press it 5 times to switch from individual to dynamic, but I prefer to do this rather than select it via the MMI.

Why, surely Audi haven't made the ADS button worse in the B9? In my B8.5 I have to press it 5 times to switch from individual to dynamic, but I prefer to do this rather than select it via the MMI.

Special button on steering wheel Assign drive select. Can't for the life of me figure out what is assignable to the 'quick' buttons though!

I'd be still interested in how it is used. The B8 had a group of buttons so you could switch between modes with one press. Then the B8.5 went single button but you have to cycle through the modes. This is annoying because the logic to remember the "previous" mode and make the cycle start there is pretty simple, and it would mean that its only 2 presses to toggle between your 2 favourite modes. If you have one button on the B9, all be it on the steering wheel, do you still have to press multiple times to cycle through the modes?

I'm looking for some kind of protection for the boot. I have a reversible mat from an old A6 but it doesn't quite fit. I might try and cut it down, but it's thick rubber on one side.

Audi show a very clever reversible and foldable mat in the manual but the dealer tells me it is not available in the UK and it was not an option on the S4, only the A4. Perhaps I can bribe someone to order it with their A4 and sell it to me? I wonder if it will fit or if there is some small difference to explain its not being on the order form?

I got a boot shell/liner from Audi an am pretty pleased with it

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 142
Special button on steering wheel Assign drive select. Can't for the life of me figure out what is assignable to the 'quick' buttons though!

If your talking about the numbered shortcut buttons, I've managed nav destination, phone numbers and radio stations so far.

According to the manual you can also assign album/playlist & tv channel. Page 195.

I wonder if there is a way via VCDS/ VCP to assign something different to them?

I'd be still interested in how it is used. The B8 had a group of buttons so you could switch between modes with one press. Then the B8.5 went single button but you have to cycle through the modes. This is annoying because the logic to remember the "previous" mode and make the cycle start there is pretty simple, and it would mean that its only 2 presses to toggle between your 2 favourite modes. If you have one button on the B9, all be it on the steering wheel, do you still have to press multiple times to cycle through the modes?

3 options bud:

-Usual MMI.

-Steering button (keep pressing to toggle). Brings up the MMI screen automatically.

-Toggle up/down (cycle) buttons on center console.

I had 1 of these in my B8 and they are good quality. I'm waiting for the dealer to find me 1 for the B9

Reactions: Daggerit
If your talking about the numbered shortcut buttons, I've managed nav destination, phone numbers and radio stations so far.

According to the manual you can also assign album/playlist & tv channel. Page 195.

Something is amiss here. It's a great feature that hasn't been even 'half' as realised as it should. Must be a software limitation.

Reactions: Brasso
Tried it in every mode and with every system switched off, including the air-con, so nothing showing in the electrical usage list. It still never auto-stops. Don't think it has ever done it, in 1200 miles of use.

I have tried disabling the auto-stop and re-enabling it. The symbol with the line through it disappears and then reappears when re-enabled, so it's clear the symbol means the car decided not to auto-stop rather than that auto-stop has been disabled.

I think many people here have stated that they don't like the auto-stop, so perhaps I should be glad it's not working, but actually I don't mind it and I guess it would save some fuel on short journeys through town.

Geoff
Yes maybe it's a blessing in disguise, certainly mine works ok. Can you check your battery voltages, as it will also be disabled if they're too low..

Reactions: pierreluigi88
The diff makes a big difference. Seriously. Certainly has the capability of throwing the power to rear and can feel the torque vectoring. Doesn't feel mechanical in nature (when it feels like it's slipping), it does feel like the grip. Which, as I've stated before, was never a problem in my B8.5 with other tyres. And I 'know' this car is much more adjustable in the corners.

So...gotta be tyres. They do have a good lip I think for the alloy but as you say, you've seen better. Again, it's only in the wet that there's an issue.

I would say the issue was under steer, as it tended to run wide on the corners. Better tyres could help, I guess, but it'll never steer as neutrally as a boxster!

The other issue was a little body pitch and roll, which improved with the suspension in dynamic, but again it's an Audi estate, so I would expect some.

As I say, I'm not well qualified to diagnose the problems, just expected it to be a bit better than it was. Perhaps it's something I need time to get used to, just the way the car responds. Been driving a fat diesel SUV for three years, so out of practice!

I don't have the steering wheel button though, as I have the heated steering wheel! Really bugs me as I don't need the heated wheel button on the MF wheel but could do with the programmable one. Poor design decision, I would say!

The heated wheel is nice at the moment but if I had known they nick the button I may have fond without it.

To change mode I have to reach across to the bottom left of the Center and look to see which is up or down, then look at the VC or MMI to see what mode it is in, and press the correct button the correct number of times until I see the right mode is selected. This is not good as you are approaching a tight corner! I'll have to practice. It would be nice if putting the gear stick in sport also put the suspension in dynamic.

In the end I also bought one of these from local Audi dealer. £81 after 10% discount. It's quite nice but doesn't protect the seat backs when folded flat do I guess I'll use a rug or something when I load my bike in the boot!

Reactions: Brasso
Anyone know a way to stop the doors locking as you pull away? I can't find an option on the MMI, and I really don't like this. I turned it off in every BMW, Porsche and Mercedes I've had.

Perhaps I'll have to beg the dealers to do it?

Yes maybe it's a blessing in disguise, certainly mine works ok. Can you check your battery voltages, as it will also be disabled if they're too low..
Not sure how to check voltage, it should be fine though, after such long journeys, and the car starts without problems!

Yeah it was a long shot but one of the factors the car checks for when operating the start/stop...

I would say the issue was under steer, as it tended to run wide on the corners. Better tyres could help, I guess, but it'll never steer as neutrally as a boxster!

The other issue was a little body pitch and roll, which improved with the suspension in dynamic, but again it's an Audi estate, so I would expect some.

As I say, I'm not well qualified to diagnose the problems, just expected it to be a bit better than it was. Perhaps it's something I need time to get used to, just the way the car responds. Been driving a fat diesel SUV for three years, so out of practice!

Bodyroll. Hence why I'm lowering in the spring.

Reactions: Keef

Geoff

I know it's bad form replying to my own message, but I popped into the dealers yesterday, as the auto stop start still wasn't triggering, no matter what I did. Up to 1,125 miles now and don't think it has ever kicked in under any circumstances. Anyway, I parked outside, went in and booked it in for them to look at it, went back to the car, changed absolutely nothing, and when I pulled up at the first junction, it ****** auto stopped!

Did it every time I stopped on the way home, even though every setting was exactly as it was for the last god knows how many hundred miles.

I had to ring back the dealer and look like a complete prat when I cancelled the booking. I wonder if it will keep working from now?

Reactions: Thundercliffe81, scotty76 and Keef
@gbrown just typical isn't it!
Oh well at least you know it works. You'll soon be posting about wanting to disable it lol :yes:

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and scotty76
I had to ring back the dealer and look like a complete prat when I cancelled the booking. I wonder if it will keep working from now?
That'll be the fright the car got at the prospect of being worked on. :D

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and Keef
I know it's bad form replying to my own message, but I popped into the dealers yesterday, as the auto stop start still wasn't triggering, no matter what I did. Up to 1,125 miles now and don't think it has ever kicked in under any circumstances. Anyway, I parked outside, went in and booked it in for them to look at it, went back to the car, changed absolutely nothing, and when I pulled up at the first junction, it ****** auto stopped!

Did it every time I stopped on the way home, even though every setting was exactly as it was for the last god knows how many hundred miles.

This happens mate. It's the fairies messing with your head on what they consider a slow day

Reactions: duckduck
Got my first long drive in last weekend, and now just over 1,000 miles, so able to open it up a bit more. mpg is improving a little, though still a struggle to hit 20mpg on a short 4 miles journey to drop my daughter at college in the morning. Think I'll take the A1 when I can! :)

On the long motorway journey I got 33.6 mpg, not too bad for a brand new car, and cruising at usual motorway speeds. In the 50 mph zones it seemed to improve over that.

In stop/start traffic it plummets, which may be partly because mine never seems to auto stop/start. No matter what mode, what temperature, or what systems I have active, it just keeps ticking over and pops up the little Auto start symbol with a line through it. I've not got it disabled, and assume at first it was due to it being cold weather, or lots of short runs, or running it in, but it still keeps ticking over when stopped, even after a 250 mile journey.

Anyone else have a sulky auto stop/start?

I'll pop in to Audi sometime to see what they say.

Other glitches, Pre-sense has gone off twice for no reason, so I switched it from medium to late, and the VC rebooted once, early on. The most frustrating thing is that Audi Connect sometimes says there is no SIM in the car, and no matter what I do I can't get it to work. Yet sometime later, without changing anything, and it all starts to work again. In the same vein, my daughter could not get carplay to fire up with her iphone the other day. But after a stop start it worked fine! I think these systems are clearly a bit buggy, and hope they mature with a few updates.

Geoff

I had problems with the stop start in my Q5 and it was linked to temperature setting on the climate control. My wife insists on leaving it one "High" rather than a temperature so the car is prevented from stop/starting as it's delivering your demand for heat.

May be something else but it was a lightbulb moment for me.

Geoff.

Do you know who has an S4 saloon in Daytona grey on here? B9?