Girls for drivers ?

Amchlolor

Reaction score
There's been a couple of occasions over the past week,I thought I would share with you.
Firstly,whilst tootling over a very good,and very quiet,back road in my wife's Clio ( all 86 bhp of it ),an A3 Sportback came steaming up my derrier.
"yahoo" thinks I,let's take him on a bit.
Within a couple of corners,this twit (bear in mind he came steaming up my backside on a straight) was a speck in the mirror.
When we reached a 30 zone,he was back to being two inches off my bumper.

So he is,evidently,a straight-line hero ( at best ),or an utter tosser.

Secondly,I have twice been taunted by a bloke in a silver S4,whilst in my own car,on the same road as the Clio incident.
On the first occasion,he was behind me,and he became a speck in the mirror at the sign of corners.

On the second occasion,he was in front,but I managed to keep up perfectly well,apart from when he used his 'superior driving skill' on the straights...

Honestly,what is wrong with these people ?
Sportback blown off by a diesel Clio and S4 blown off by a diesel A3.

Have they no pride ?

BTW,before the tutters and headshakers start,I don't tend to drive like a nutter when I am having fun like this.
No broadsides,no dangerous moves,no wrong side of the road etc.etc.
Just before some advanced driving bore accuses me of being a menace.

Good on you Eeef.
You're evidently not a bloke that would let a more humble car take the mick,and I salute you for it.

I agree, I only tend to drive very fast (ie limit of lateral grip / as fast as it'll go / stop) on bendy roads / roundabouts and I always seems to be driving much quicker than everyone else - which can cause issues on roundabouts as people arn't expecting you.

Most of the time I'm on a motorway I'm happy to sit at 70 / 80 / 90 it's no fun going fast unless its very VERY fast and I won't do that when other cars are around.

I tell you,the bloke in the S4 was a weird one.
I didn't notice on the occasion he was behind me,obviously,but when I was following him (he was actually holding me up,apart from the straights),he had the oddest driving behaviour.
He wuld very briefly flick the car to the left before going round a right hander,and vice versa.
Very odd.
It just unsettled the car and make him look stupid.
Meanwhile,I'm sitting behind him with a perfectly stable motor,in an unflustered manner.
I bet you a pound to a penny,people (him included) go on about how 'fast' he is when,in fact,a ****** diesel with a third of the power can make him look daft.

It's just goes to prove my theory (to me),that people with performance cars are rarely able to drive them properly.

The bottom line is this: it's not what you've got, it's how you drive it. I've bleated on for years across all web forums I've subscribed to that the most significant aspect of any vehicle's performance is its driver. And that's not always about outright speed; driving quality and ability is just as important.

Eeef said:
Hey don't tar the IAM as boring drivers!

I'm a member and I drive like a <unt most of the time :)

I'll verify that ;) From the same school of thought as me - the 3,2,1 boars at motor exits dictate which lane you need to be in at that point to take the exit. Or just a count down timer.

benw123 said:
The bottom line is this: it's not what you've got, it's how you drive it. I've bleated on for years across all web forums I've subscribed to that the most significant aspect of any vehicle's performance is its driver. And that's not always about outright speed; driving quality and ability is just as important.

absolutely.. just need glen to pop up now with his signature "anybody can drive a fast car, not everybody can drive a car fast"

Cameras are,thankfully,few and far between up here HB.
Fixed ones are restricted to urban areas and dual-carriageways.
Mobile ones have to announce their presence in plenty of time for you to slam the anchors on,then tootle past them nonchalantly.

Actually,the best driver I used to encounter over this road had one of the crappiest looking cars.
It was an ancient TR7 (remember them?,I quite liked them),but it had been lowered and,going by it's speed,tuned.
He was a very fast and safe driver.
The sort you could happily follow or lead,safe in the knowledge he wouldn't pile into you.
Not like the **** in the Range Rover last night,who thought he was fast,and took umbridge to me being as fast as him,to the point he dabbed (slammed) on his brakes down one straight.
I was nowhere near tailgating him.
He was just hacked off that someone was keeping up with him and decided to drive dangerously in response.
He shat himself when I pulled into the same shop car park as him though,and ignored me when I repeatedly asked him why he'd done that.

Personally I can't stand people who buy "decent" or even "semi-decent" cars and then drive them like OAPs.

That said, on the subject of driving like a "girl", how many of you lot have taken your A3s round the Nurburgring Nordschleife then? :D

Vertigo1 said:
Personally I can't stand people who buy "decent" or even "semi-decent" cars and then drive them like OAPs.

That said, on the subject of driving like a "girl", how many of you lot have taken your A3s round the Nurburgring Nordschleife then? :D
Very few I would guess - because the A3 isn't a decent driver's car!

Bowfer what road round aberdeen you driving?

I hate the same thing with guys that have fast bikes when they come to corners they are frightened to lean there bikes and you end up stuck behind them on the corners then they take the **** on the straights

benw123 said:
Very few I would guess - because the A3 isn't a decent driver's car!
Still good for a laugh though :)

For the record, the 2.0TDI understeers like you wouldn't believe round that place. Done 14 laps in mine across two separate trips and tbh, it doesn't really matter what car you have, it's still mindbendingly good fun :)

On one trip there was a 2.0TDI A4 that was leaving me for dead. I prefer to believe either that the car was chipped or the A4 is a much better balanced car than the A3 but realistically it's probably more that I just sucked :)

Rev-head said:
Bowfer what road round aberdeen you driving?

I hate the same thing with guys that have fast bikes when they come to corners they are frightened to lean there bikes and you end up stuck behind them on the corners then they take the **** on the straights

I doubt you would know it,unless you're very familiar with Aberdeen.
The S4 was between Blackburn and Westhill (B-roads).
The A3 was between Skene and Peterculter.

There is a road near me which starts as a 30mph (straight road with houses on either side), then changes to 60 (bendy road with fields on either side) for about a mile and then back to 30, the amount of drivers that drive at 40mph on the straight 30 zone and then slow down to 30 on the 60 bendy zone is unbelievable.

Clarkson once said:

"Unfortuantely peoples driving skills do not improve with the size of their wallets"

Vertigo1 said:

A friend and I regularly take each other on around the ring,on the new Tourist Trophy (bike) game for the PS2.
The realism is stunning.
I would love to have a real-life shot at it on my bike.
I've no desire to do it in my car,it would just be too dull.

johnmv55 said:
Clarkson once said:

"Unfortuantely peoples driving skills do not improve with the size of their wallets"

Much as I like Clarkson,he's one to talk...
I often laugh at how he manages to make a spin look deliberate.

I think it must be somthing to do with the value of a persons car. And that normally to be able to afford such a expensive car you are general 35-40+. I would think twice about kucking a £40k car into a bend knowing that I may look like a **** and that I may right off my 20 years no claims bonus if I over cook it.

And its also heavey to do with how much you know the road you are driving on. For example my current car is a 1.8 MG ZR, its only pumping out 140bhp but the pick up on the car is very impressive and the cornering ability is very under rated. I have only upgraded thortal body, air filter and exhurst on it.

When I used to commut to work, I got to learn just how much i could push the car around every bend. When the car behind you plays silly buggers as they have a high output car, I find they brake and back of a lot of speed in the corners when I just keep on going, sure they catch me back up on the straights.

Cant wait to get my v6 quattro now, getting cought up on the straight will be a thing on the past:hubbahubba:

My only worry is that at 24 years old and a fat new 3.2 v6 with 4 wheel drive being delivered to my door step in 4 weeks,

A3_3.2_S-Line said:
And that normally to be able to afford such a expensive car you are general 35-40+.

Age has got sod all to do with it,in my opinion.
I'm 39 and am just as willing to thrash my car over a country road as I was when I was 24.
Some may argue that I may be more 'carefree' as mine is a company car,but I actually find the opposite.
I find I am actually more respectful of the fact it isn't mine and,if I were to write it off,I would have to explain my actions to an angry MD...
If it were my own car,I wouldn't give a monkeys.

I've decided both drivers (A3 and S4) were nothing other than bluff-merchants.
They made the aggressive first-moves,obviously thinking they would be faster than I.
They just ended up with egg on their face,the incompetent twits.

Vertigo1 said:
It's never dull, no matter what you're driving :D

I think TDI went and did it when he was without a car.....

speedster_bus.jpg

A3_3.2_S-Line said:
I think it must be somthing to do with the value of a persons car. And that normally to be able to afford such a expensive car you are general 35-40+. I would think twice about kucking a £40k car into a bend knowing that I may look like a **** and that I may right off my 20 years no claims bonus if I over cook it.

I disagree, I think I am worse now I'm im 34 than when I was 17 years old.

I drive a more expensive car now which I can obviously buy, insure, run etc compare that to whjen I started when I drove around ina thousand pound heep of crap which was all I could afford - scrimp the cash to gether to buy it, never could afford to fill the tank of fuel. The insurance was enough to clear the debt of a cmall country and I was scared to death of loosing my coveted no claims bonus!

Now I have umpteen years no claims bonus which is protected, a smaller excess to pay - and cheaper insurance to start with!

J.

marriedblonde said:

I drive a more expensive car now which I can obviously buy, insure, run etc compare that to whjen I started when I drove around ina thousand pound heep of crap which was all I could afford - scrimp the cash to gether to buy it, never could afford to fill the tank of fuel. The insurance was enough to clear the debt of a cmall country and I was scared to death of loosing my coveted no claims bonus!

Now I have umpteen years no claims bonus which is protected, a smaller excess to pay - and cheaper insurance to start with!

J.

Guys i am getting worried now, this is going to be my first propper quick car, i must be kidding myself if i think I going to be driving it slow. LOL

Oh dear i better get a road angel.

marriedblonde said:

J.

Yep, I'm about 16 years older than you, I still drive like a total nutter from time to time, and I'm worse on my bike! I KNOW if anything happens I aint going to bounce anymore................

A3_3.2_S-Line said:
I think it must be somthing to do with the value of a persons car. And that normally to be able to afford such a expensive car you are general 35-40+. .....

I tend to agree with you on this.

Each time I have changed my car, it has generally been replaced with a more expensive and more powerful one. OK, my current tractor is an anomaly, but that is being replaced soon.