Sportback Gloss black number plate holder

seanick

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Anyone on here have for sale or know where I might be able to source a gloss black plate surround ? Planning cutting one down for a shorter plate.

Thanks ⚡

Shorter plate on the front or back? I might have a plan for you if it’s for the front :p

Reactions: seanick
Front fella...im all ears

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Here you go... use an old number plate (ideal) or any plastic for this. I cut the old plate slightly smaller than the short plate I’ve got, drilled 4 holes so it fixes into the 4 threaded holes you have in the grill once the plate backing plate is gone. Bought some decent Velcro off of eBay and stuck on.

Best solution I found by far, I tried cutting holders down and I made it work but it never looked the best. I’ve always got plate holders on my cars but this looks so much better, it’s edgeless.. total transformation from what it was like with a cut down holder.

It’s been on there since April, the seller on eBay said the self-adhesive Velcro wasn’t water proof but it’s worked perfectly and will certainly last years.

e3ed83b6776328cddbb4ce76b509458e.jpg

520c936c4224d23c86610e2912fdd7a2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: seanick
Here you go... use an old number plate (ideal) or any plastic for this. I cut the old plate slightly smaller than the short plate I’ve got, drilled 4 holes so it fixes into the 4 threaded holes you have in the grill once the plate backing plate is gone. Bought some decent Velcro off of eBay and stuck on.

Best solution I found by far, I tried cutting holders down and I made it work but it never looked the best. I’ve always got plate holders on my cars but this looks so much better, it’s edgeless.. total transformation from what it was like with a cut down holder.

It’s been on there since April, the seller on eBay said the self-adhesive Velcro wasn’t water proof but it’s worked perfectly and will certainly last years.

e3ed83b6776328cddbb4ce76b509458e.jpg

520c936c4224d23c86610e2912fdd7a2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like its worth a try...thanks lad

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: AudiNutta
Mines in the exact same way as AN’s and with the velcro it isn’t going anywhere... as said, looks way better too :icon thumright:

Reactions: seanick and AudiNutta
Purchased these on eBay £16.50 incl p&p
8905D7EF 9AD3 4E19 BF1B 55AD8173D25D
DDA0EB3D F41D 4E18 84BD 95295A389075
1F658D5E EDBC 4693 9427 4BF67B38093C
66AA7F4A 90B0 4C4A A5A0 8D3C9DD23AE4
EF78D41D 8618 47AE B1CE C73922186576

Reactions: seanick and Terminator x
No, I was lucky enough to be able to use the two original holes from the plate I took off.

Reactions: seanick and AudiNutta
Anyone could have that off without a clean break in the plate. Let’s hope you like parking fines and speeding tickets!

Same with any plate holders isn’t it? Pop the bottom off and it’s in your hands!

Plate gets stolen? Not a problem will dial 999 and tell them, if my car all of a sudden is in Glasgow robbing banks and mine is cosy in the garage with the security equipment proving so bases are covered.

Reactions: seanick, savo, billymc92 and 1 other person
Anyone could have that off without a clean break in the plate. Let’s hope you like parking fines and speeding tickets!

If someone wanted a plate off a car it’s not particularity a hard job, most are held on with 2 screws, you can have them off in 10 seconds... I’m guessing those people must be fans of parking fines and speeding tickets too?

Reactions: seanick, billymc92, Marshy and 2 others
Same with any plate holders isn’t it? Pop the bottom off and it’s in your hands!

Plate gets stolen? Not a problem will dial 999 and tell them, if my car all of a sudden is in Glasgow robbing banks and mine is cosy in the garage with the security equipment proving so bases are covered.

I beg to differ, not if they are ‘securely’ screwed in.

Why make the situation difficult for yourself and have to manage endless paperwork if the situation occurred, heaven forbid.

The push lock holder would’ve been a more elegant solution

Last edited:
If someone wanted a plate off a car it’s not particularity a hard job, most are held on with 2 screws, you can have them off in 10 seconds... I’m guessing those people must be fans of parking fines and speeding tickets too?

10 seconds? Either you’re being wholly unrealistic or you’re well versed. As above post, if held securely chances are they’re not coming off swiftly and damaged / mangled at the very least therefore rendered useless.

Good luck

I beg to differ, not if they are ‘securely’ screwed in.

Why make the situation difficult for yourself and have to manage endless paperwork if the situation occurred, heaven forbid.

The push lock holder would’ve been a more elegant solution

I’ve had a holder for the front and still have one on the rear. A holder for a shirt plate is not a nice thing, they’ve got to be cut down and therefore have a cut right down the middle still when on the car.

I’d rather take the risk that somebody is going to decide to spend 10 seconds less taking my plate off than the one held on with 2 screws next to me than have a big bulky ugly holder in the grill. I always use holders but in this case, no.

10 seconds? Either you’re being wholly unrealistic or you’re well versed. As above post, if held securely chances are they’re not coming off swiftly and damaged / mangled at the very least therefore rendered useless.

Good luck

The only hope you’ve got of damaging a plate on removal is if it is very heavily stuck on with adhesive. The Audi Sport holders, you just release 3 poppers on the bottom edge and the plate comes out. The idea of plate holders is easy release with no holes, nothing is safe.

Also nothing stopping your average scum going on eBay and buying a £10 set of plates because these companies very rarely ask for proof of ownership.

Reactions: Jonny B, savo and Phil3

Good luck

To be fair I’ve never tried to time myself removing a couple of number plate screws... but yes, I’d be confident of removing them in seconds if that was my goal to take them. A couple of screws, held in by say 5 threads, doesn’t take much effort mate

As AN’s said, if someone wants your plates, there’s various ways they can get them, and you can’t stop it happening unfortunately

Reactions: Jonny B, savo and AudiNutta
To be fair I’ve never tried to time myself removing a couple of number plate screws... but yes, I’d be confident of removing them in seconds if that was my goal to take them. A couple of screws, held in by say 5 threads, doesn’t take much effort mate

As AN’s said, if someone wants your plates, there’s various ways they can get them, and you can’t stop it happening unfortunately

I just put new plates on as I wanted rid of the ugly dealer ones and it does literally take a matter of seconds

Reactions: Phil3