Glow Plugs

• Thread starter imported_TDi_Singh
  • Start date
I

imported_TDi_Singh

Hi

Has anyone experienced driving along and finding that the Glow plugs 'coil' light on the dash starts to flash?

I pulled over and then it stopped. Drove of and it didnt happen again. The same happened to me about 2 months ago.

Any ideas what this is?

Regards
TDi_Singh

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

This happened to me after I installed a Bromley Tunit Box. Only happened twice though and after that nothing since for the past 5 months.

When I checked it on Vag-com there were no faults shown. Has your can been chipped/remaped/plugin box ?

no, its completely standard...and nothing has been done to it, maintenance wise which could have effected the car.

i had a major service back in november thats it...

it meens there is an ecu fault, chances are it jumps into limp mode then, i have had it happen too mine 3 times, funnily i was just cruising when it happened, just pulled over, restarted the car and it was fine.
it could also be a MAF fault.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi

Has anyone experienced driving along and finding that the Glow plugs 'coil' light on the dash starts to flash?

I pulled over and then it stopped. Drove of and it didnt happen again. The same happened to me about 2 months ago.

Any ideas what this is?

Regards

[/ QUOTE ]

Took my car into audi last week for same fault, and yes it was simple they said it was just the rear brake light bulb needed replaced- comon fault apparently! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi

Any ideas what this is?

Regards

[/ QUOTE ]

Took my car into audi last week for same fault, and yes it was simple they said it was just the rear brake light bulb needed replaced- comon fault apparently! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

your getting confused, when a brake light bulb goes it brings up an orange symbol on the DIS, i know this because one of mine went today, the glow plug light is for ECU issues etc...

Thanks for the help guys...ECU...does that mean £££££££££?

Hard to say on the cost, could be just a sensor giving info to the ECU that needs changing. Best bet is to find someone with VAG-COM locally or take it in to a dealer to have the fault codes read.

Some dealers are good and will read the codes from free, some will charge upwards of £50 or more.

Great, I'll let you know how I get on! Once I get time to go to the dealer!

TDi_Singh

Before you go and spend a lot of money with Audi it might be worth checking the connections in the rear light cluster and also the connections of the brake light bulb.

I had a flashing glow plug light and it was down to a connection problem with the rear cluster. My car does not have DIS and hence the flashing glow plug light indicated a faulty brake light.

Yours might be something different, but it might be worth checking.

Jim.

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

Any ideas what this is?

Regards

Took my car into audi last week for same fault, and yes it was simple they said it was just the rear brake light bulb needed replaced- comon fault apparently!

your getting confused, when a brake light bulb goes it brings up an orange symbol on the DIS, i know this because one of mine went today, the glow plug light is for ECU issues etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont have DIS, and i def had the coil light flashing- its been ok since

do you guys have another light which comes up when i bulb has gone?
perhaps on cars without a DIS thats what you get instead.

just pulled a bulb out and started the car - nothing happened! confused!!!

your not gonna believe this, my glow plug light has started flashing now, think someone jinxed it. its strange though, it doesnt seem too have any effect, but when i put the indicator on the light went off???

[ QUOTE ]
just pulled a bulb out and started the car - nothing happened! confused!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on which bulb it was... Sorry if this sounds obvious...

If you removed a brake light bulb, you would have to put your foot on the brake for the car to realise the bulb had gone.

If it as a tail light (I think) the car should realise it's gone when you put your lights on.

If anyother bulb, I don't think the car monitors them.

Headlamps are definately monitored, but again the car will only tell you it's blown (or been removed) if you turn your lights on.

Sorry if tha's teaching you to suck eggs, but just removing a bulb and starting the car won't bring up any fault.

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]
your not gonna believe this, my glow plug light has started flashing now, think someone jinxed it. its strange though, it doesnt seem too have any effect, but when i put the indicator on the light went off???

[/ QUOTE ]

yea mate it was me and my voodoo doll!!!!

and iit was my brake light bulb and the coil light only came on when i was sitting in trafic, thats why i complained to audi- it must ave been with my foot on the brake! and indicating took my light off too

do you know what they did? im gonna inspect all teh connections now.

well ive had the rear lights off to change the bumper so mybes that!

Or the bulb, my rear light bulb(main/side) is out now but no flashing light????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

NO no no, ive got the same problem and all mine is the Brake LIGHT SWITCH needs replacing solved it in one got.
take a look at the top of your brake pedal and theres a pin switch , its a common thing they go cost aroung £7. replace that and it works fine and the light will go, hopefully!

i had the same prob was a brake light switch as mentioned b4 just change that. When it starts flashing if you brake the flashing will stop, if that happens deffo the switch
tom

funnily enough since may my light hasnt come on, i didnt change anything. strange.

could it still be to do with the brakes if the engine performance has been affected? eg.. juddering stalling ect?