Going Electric

DieselJake

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I know allot of people are sceptical about electric car's, solar panels, all sorts but I was just wondering if anyone has made small or big steps to this and what opinions are surrounding electric.

I'm currently building a relatively fast electric bike for commuting and will most likely be making the jump to solar panels and maybe even eventually a car. If anyone's interested in the bike I might post pictures and spec here when it's finished.

Reactions: AudiSpy and Leo Komninos
RichRebuilds on youtube has just posted a video with a Telsa motor powered Quattro. Personally I prefer LPG, and the enviromental impact of electric vehicles and their manufacture does not really make them a'green' option, IMHO.
I'm sure there will be people interested, good luck with your builds.

Reactions: DieselJake
As for going electric - solar panels can reduce your electricity bills and if you can afford install/afford a large enough array and a storage battery you can even go off-grid almost. But obviously solar panels are popular Down Under . Just as a guide:
Typical power savings based on the number of solar panels you have, with our current government's push to give us really expensive power prices, the average power bill is about $2100/per year (includes water heating).
  • 1.5kW – $541 per Year
  • 3kW – $1,130 per Year
  • 5kW – $1,883 per Year
I replaced by old 4 stroke mower with a Ryobi battery powered mower, no more stuffing around with petrol and stuff - works well.
As for electric cars - sorry if there is no engine noise, whats the point. If I drove a Corolla, then an electric car maybe, but otherwise - no thanks.

I’m yet to be convinced electric is the way forward. It all feels very short sighted to me. Look at diesel. Apparently they were cleaner than petrol despite the black smog bellowing from exhaust pipes. 70% were enticed by the low tax incentive and hey presto, they’re now dirty as f&&&!

Like Leo K says, nobody is really considering the whole life production and ownership of an electric vehicle. All people see is that it’s not burning fuel, so it’s clean. . What about the pollution created from the production of the vehicle, including its acid batteries and how clean is our electricity used to charge the batteries.? I don’t know the answer to that.

Then there’s the battery charge. I get plenty of torque from my E350 and Monday I drove from the outskirts of Barcelona to Paris ‘fully laden’ on a single tank and arrived with a small amount of fuel to spare. I can’t imagine you’ll do that in an electric car particularly travelling between 130 and 145km/h the whole way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Leo Komninos
The new liquid phase/state injection lpg ( LSI/LPI) out performs 95 octane. Unfortunately it is a bit too costly for me, at mo. Prefer to reuse existing Manufacturing rather than making more plastic, mining for lithium and squeezing it into a saloon that now weighs 3 ton!
IMHO, of course.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Crazyfool
Oh, and where does the electricity come from? A power station: Nuclear, Coal, Rubbish burning, or if you are very very very lucky Hydro-electric, wind, solar.

Fortunately LPG gas has very little refinement done to it, and is a by-product {yes a by-product from oil drilling!}.

Oh, and where does the electricity come from? A power station: Nuclear, Coal, Rubbish burning, or if you are very very very lucky Hydro-electric, wind, solar. .

Exactly!

Reactions: Leo Komninos
I'm sure these comments aren't aimed at me specifically but just for the record my interest in this is for going fast, saving cash and not needing to rely on an external power source for my home/car, planets doomed either way :playful:

Not meant personally either. Just don't understand why a noddy car with a genny is tax exempt when generator can be pumping out fumes like the victorians. Interesting subject though. There was an Australian company, I think, which developed an, 'electric supercharger' which was just an electic motor belt driven to crank pulley. That would be enough to avoid tax, and be a boost.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

That's the thing Porsche 918's and BMW i8's are essentially hybrids with electric to make them go faster, then theirs Tesla and other car's with no petrol (and noise) involved but generally people think of car's like the Prius or Leaf when it comes to electric.

I'm interested to see what the future holds in terms of car tax as I'm sure diesel used to be free/cheaper than petrol.

I'm sure these comments aren't aimed at me specifically....

Definitely not!

I would be interested to know how this pans out once the governments of the world force people into electric vehicles. I wonder if we will have a similar scenario to diesels where someone decides it’s not that green after all and there’s a better alternative.

It’s a big topic though with lots of companies getting on board. Soon you’ll be able to buy a hairdryer on wheels!

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dyson-on-track-to-build-electric-cars-rg289rz5w

Just to update a bit as I know @Ghost and most likely others were interested in what's happening with the bike I've now got two different batteries but the thing won't start... I'll post pictures and more info when/if it gets going... feel like I'm just missing an on button or something daft haha.

On a more positive note I've got a m365 scooter coming in the post, won't be as fast as the bike I'm building but I'll be able to fold it up and bring it in to work rather than having to tie it up outside so that will make up some time (plus stop theft) a bit. I'll be lightly modding the scooter aiming for 20+mph with better acceleration, never going to be a rocket ship but should go alright for a scooter.

20170916194325_25621.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: AudiSpy
MVIMG_20180909_173952_2.jpg

Job done; 1000w, 48v, alloy frame, no suspension, road tyres, single speed, can go 30mph+ but my god I've only tested a couple laps of the block and it's scary over 22mph, fun but deadly may consider getting a helmet.

The power has already done funny things to the rear derailer and the rear wheel has gone out a bit so I might have to play with that but so far I'm very happy with it... oh and I've also ordered an electric unicycle too haha think I've gone electric mad!

Reactions: DJ_26