Golf MK4 4motion Traction problems.

GRARA

Reaction score
Hi there newbie to this site,was wondering if anyone else has seen/heard/had this problem....
My MK4 4motion has strange traction problems,i.e if im driving on tarmac and i hit a frosty patch or a greasy patch on the road the car seems to wobble almost to the point of no control (quite scarry),its like the car cant make up its mind which wheel to put the power to??
At first i thought it was because i was running diffrent tyres front and rear,so i replaced all 4 with the same rubber......still the same! The car is completely standard not lowered etc. Ive only had the car since March 2013 so it missed out on the snow but had plent icy moments/white knuckle moments.
Any help welcome as its getting close to winter and dont fancy driving it with small kids in the car again.

Hi mate is your light on or dose it flash up when not happy with driving? If so to flashing up have you hade your ball joints and wishbones checked? If they are worn they can move a lot and make the front end move like a pig do you get knocking or odd noises from the front end with out been in the car it hard for me to pin point it thanks kev

Hi Kev, there is no light on,no knocking or any noises coming from the car,it drives as it should,corners fine etc. Jst as soon as you drive on a slippery surface the car seems to have a mind of its own and starts this bizarre wobbling from side to side even a low speed 10-15mph.I will check wishbones etc.tomorrow but quite sure everything is ok. I only paid £950 for the car but have spent over £1400 on it fixing various hidden faults that the previous owner never told me about.Not wanting to spend much more money on the car now as its getting on a bit and has 132k on the clock,think if its a major fault its time to scrap it.