Good bye A4.

viceroy

Reaction score
About 2 years ago I bought myself a 2009 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro tiptronic, and my time with her has been awesome. Who would have thought that a TDI could sound and go so well.
Dealer-FrontQuarter_zpsdfb6b162.jpg

F4B03E3E-3E54-4AAE-8440-795F8DDF9C53_zpsd3ozbihc.jpg

IMG_3676_zpsheiqv1do.jpg

Last week, I spotted her replacement, and this last weekend, I went for a test drive, and signed the papers.
Everything is being processed, and the car is being serviced and a few small things being seen to, but hopefully by this weekend, I'll be the proud owner of a 2010 Audi S4 6spd manual.

21379ad7-1d7f-41b2-ab0d-a5208bdf09d8_zpsatsctsme.jpg

e2decf01-e956-437f-803b-27130b106e90_zpsgoxb3lxy.jpg

484ADD4B-07E7-4974-A99B-BE50D52C5D2C_zpsxjwvnnc8.jpg

I absolutely can't wait to go pick her up!!

Reactions: xpoweruk, Gaz170, RS5 JON and 4 others
Very nice buddy, good choice and a really nice colour! :) .. Best of luck and I look forward to seeing your next set of mods!

Thanks.
I'll be moving over a few things from the A4 to the S4, but we'll see how she evolves over time.

About 2 years ago I bought myself a 2009 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro tiptronic, and my time with her has been awesome. Who would have thought that a TDI could sound and go so well.

IMG_3676_zpsheiqv1do.jpg

Last week, I spotted her replacement, and this last weekend, I went for a test drive, and signed the papers.
Everything is being processed, and the car is being serviced and a few small things being seen to, but hopefully by this weekend, I'll be the proud owner of a 2010 Audi S4 6spd manual.

Your new S4 looks very nice :thumbs up:

Looking foreword to more pic & your thoughts

IMG_3676_zpsheiqv1do.jpg

Maybe I have had a Budweiser or two but imho your TDI looks far better than that S4 in the pics!! (Know it's modded)!
However in terms of performance there's not a big difference so why the change mate?...

Good on you viceroy! I made the same move. 3.0 Tdi to the S4. Albeit a sedan to an Avant. Yours, like mine, was tuned. They kind of defy the laws of physics a bit. Heaps of grunt but very little pain at the pump. The S4 does hurt a bit at the pump mate. But really.....the fun and smiles you get from these when you give it a squirt far outweighs that one. In my mind the best thing about the S4 is the little bit of drama you get every time you get in it. RS4 owners must feel this even more. The cabin finish is up a notch, and my Tdi was very up specced. The sound makes you giggle. The Tdi just doesn't do that, no matter what. And the best thing? You know this is going to happen every time you get in it. Have fun. Good choice.

Reactions: V6 Quatt
Nice upgrade, @viceroy.

Where are you? That doesn't look like the UK to me.

EDIT: Read your profile :)
You would be correct. I'm based in Johannesburg South Africa.

HAHA, just updated it now.

Maybe I have had a Budweiser or two but imho your TDI looks far better than that S4 in the pics!! (Know it's modded)!
However in terms of performance there's not a big difference so why the change mate?...
I agree with you, but that will start to change over time. This week I've literally been stripping all the extras off the A4 that will fit on the S4.
Only things remaining on the A4 will be the Revo software, exhaust, rear diffuser, and I'm debating leaving the Caractere spoiler. I don't want to remove it and damage the bootlid.

The reasons for changing are, the A4 is tiptronic, it's out of warrenty and freeway plan.
I've been on the lookout for a decent 6spd manual S4 since before I bought the A4, but they are pretty scarce over here.
Then in terms of performance, the A4 is making slightly more power than a stock S4, and is also heavier. Only way to make more power is to change the turbo, and the absolute max then is 400bhp. Just a remap on the S4 takes it past that stage.

Good on you viceroy! I made the same move. 3.0 Tdi to the S4. Albeit a sedan to an Avant. Yours, like mine, was tuned. They kind of defy the laws of physics a bit. Heaps of grunt but very little pain at the pump. The S4 does hurt a bit at the pump mate. But really.....the fun and smiles you get from these when you give it a squirt far outweighs that one. In my mind the best thing about the S4 is the little bit of drama you get every time you get in it. RS4 owners must feel this even more. The cabin finish is up a notch, and my Tdi was very up specced. The sound makes you giggle. The Tdi just doesn't do that, no matter what. And the best thing? You know this is going to happen every time you get in it. Have fun. Good choice.

If I could have found a S4 Avant in manual I would have done it in a heartbeat, but they are hens teeth here. As far as I'm aware, the Audi Club of South Africa only has one registered owner of a B8 S4 Avant, but that's s-tronic.
In terms of sound, before the last change to the exhaust on the A4, I was running straight pipes, and let me tell you, it sounded pretty awesome. When people start telling you that your TDI sounds like a Nissan GT-R, you know you've got something good.

I will really miss that low down grunt of the TDI, but I wont miss running out of revs at 4500rpm, and as you say, the S4 is a step up in every aspect over the 3.0TDI in every area except at the fuel pump.

Hopefully I'll have the S4 by the weekend..

Just wait till you get the S4 tuned. Just as much torque but heaps more killerwasps. And still that great sound. By the way, love those wheels on the A4.

Us RS4 owners do feel the drama maybe a bit more primarily due to the V8 soundtrack and due the fact its 100% real, its a shame the S4/5 gets an augmented sound through the internal speakers. My mate is now running with the fuse removed in his S5 I think its sounds as good even though it's different.

Soundaktor is only on the B8.5

We B8 boys always had the real noise ;)

Reactions: viceroy and TahirS
Picked the S4 up on Saturday.
First mod was immediate, ie swapping the 19s from the A4 onto the S4.
BA7CAD8C-41FD-4BE7-A695-224A9E44B400_zpsvfee5dto.jpg

B8A3582B-B1E4-47D7-91DD-1FDECEC2E93C_zpsxbpjgpmf.jpg

And if you look closely in the first picture, you can see the A4 being driven back to the dealership by the salesman after the wheel swap.
62fa93dc-69a1-4c77-9a14-38cb3c1a3009_zpsxyd37elg.jpg

Gotta say I'm very happy with the change.
Driving home was all motorway and got an average consumption of 35 mpg compared to a best consumption in the A4 of 50 mpg.
Not too bad considering, but this morning is peak hour traffic was less impressive at 17 mpg.

I really wish the S4 had a 7th gear as 120km/h in 6th @ just under 3000rpm cannot be great for consumption.

Reactions: Bristle Hound and chucky1
Ha ha viceroy looks like a white maybe? ute/van on the move behind the S4. The wheels definitely look the biz though. Good move.

Reactions: viceroy
Picked the S4 up on Saturday.
First mod was immediate, ie swapping the 19s from the A4 onto the S4.
BA7CAD8C-41FD-4BE7-A695-224A9E44B400_zpsvfee5dto.jpg

B8A3582B-B1E4-47D7-91DD-1FDECEC2E93C_zpsxbpjgpmf.jpg

And if you look closely in the first picture, you can see the A4 being driven back to the dealership by the salesman after the wheel swap.
62fa93dc-69a1-4c77-9a14-38cb3c1a3009_zpsxyd37elg.jpg

Gotta say I'm very happy with the change.
Driving home was all motorway and got an average consumption of 35 mpg compared to a best consumption in the A4 of 50 mpg.
Not too bad considering, but this morning is peak hour traffic was less impressive at 17 mpg.

I really wish the S4 had a 7th gear as 120km/h in 6th @ just under 3000rpm cannot be great for consumption.
Looks very nice indeedy

Loving the wheels, altho' after having them on my last B8 A4 they are a PITA to keep clean

Wheels look great and making me think again about what to do on mine....re-colour anthracite or fit Rotor's ????