Goodbye DSG, hello Quattro

tiptonjuk

Reaction score
This coming Friday I will be taking my 05 Misano Red A3 TDI S-Line with DSG off to the dealership, and collecting my 05 (2006 model) Lava Grey A3 2.0TDI Quattro, with Bose, Symphany 2 Stereo, front armrest, interior light pack, s-line exterior styling pack and mudflaps ... (soon to be removed).
The car has at the moment the 20 spoke BBS style alloys, but the dealer is going to swap them for a set of RS6's.

I will post some pics once I have the car.

The dealership is Crewe Audi if anyone is interested in a well maintained Misano Red S-line TDI with DSG. It's done about 16400 miles.

The red one is my second with DSG, and to be honest, because I'm not doing so many motorway miles I don't find the DSG as enjoyable to drive, so I wanted to go back to manual.

I haven't got any pics, but they are on the Audi Configurator as !7.5J x 18 "20-spoke" design alloy wheel"

could you get a pic of them on the car? I did order those alloys and then changed to the RS6, I would like to see what they do look like on the car?

If I liked them then I could swap you some RS6 with 300 miles on the tyres (P-Zeros) and a few quid for the multispoke?

Even if they look /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif and you did not want to swap I would like to see them on a A3

OK, I'll pop round the dealership (only round the corner from work) and get a photo on my phone. I'll PM it to you if thats ok?

Couldn't care less what your wheels look like, but would be very interested in your feedback on how the car drives.

d3fy, the wheels have already been changed, which is strange as I don't remember them been that efficient last time. They have put the BBS alloys on a red sportback from what I can gather, so as soon as they put it back on the forecourt, I'll take some pics.

I collect the car on Friday, so I'll do a write up when I have spent some time behind the wheel ... with photo's of course.

Good stuff, shame about them swapping the alloys over, you know they sell at £1,900 for a set of 4?

Really, thats a lot of cash for a set of alloys. I knew they where a £200 option on the S-line, but didn't realise that was the retail. Oh well. Collect the car tomorrow, can't wait.

Yeah £200 on the £1000 Sline option, that is ontop of the £3000 sports option you have paid for, these German guys know how to coin it in.

Enjoy your new car mate,

What do you think of the same engine,but with the manual box ?

Right here goes .....

I can't believe the difference the manual gearbox makes to this engine ... I just feel so much more control over the car, not even having paddles, and a manual mode can beat that feeling of a clutch and a manual box. I really have missed it!

On the 06 car the suspension isn't as harsh as on the 05 model, and is much nicer to drive on longer distances, less of a back breaking experience!

The stearing is much improved over the old one, feels more direct going into corners, and you get more feedback coming through the wheel.

The Quattro I love, the grip you get from standstill is amazing, no wheel spin, it just launches you with no fuss.

This car just feels worlds apart from my old one, and I am so glad I made the change.

I would recommend to anyone, Manual gearbox, and if you can afford it, Quattro, because it just suits this engine so well, and makes it such a pleasure to drive, and I just haven't found anything it's bad at.

Full spec is :-

A3 2.0TDI Quattro S-Line (06)
Lava Grey paintwork
S-Line exterior Pack
Front Armrest
Bose + Symphony 2
Interior Light Pack
Non Smoking Pack
RS6 Alloys

Cheers
John

[ QUOTE ]
Full spec is :-

A3 2.0TDI Quattro S-Line (06)
Lava Grey paintwork
S-Line exterior Pack
Front Armrest
Bose + Symphony 2
Interior Light Pack
Non Smoking Pack
RS6 Alloys

Cheers
John

[/ QUOTE ]

Got any pics of your car as ours will look identical when we pic it up next week. The wait is killing me.

She will be getting a clean at the weekend, so I will be taking some photo's once thats done, and I'll post them up.

Thanks
John

Nice one - hows the quattro on greasy roundabouts? At the moment I'm managing to get the TCS light flashing in 3rd gear!

I get the TCS light flashing also at times when you would not expect - but if all it is indicating is that the power is being shifted to one of the back wheels i suppose it makse sense... ?

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe the difference the manual gearbox makes to this engine

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I thought when I drove a manual 2.0tdi A4.

DSG makes the engine feel peaky and fussy.

Manual shows just how flexible the engine really is.

God,how I envy your freedom to chop and change your motor !

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

Quattro makes a lot if difference to the grip/handling. Driving to the office this morning at 4am, roads where very greasy, but you just feel confident that you can stick the car into bends, and it won't move. I haven't seen the traction light yet!

Bowfer, I just wasn't happy with the other car, and lifes to short to be unhappy with something, that I usually enjoy, so I changed, and now I live my car again ... even though she is filthy dirty ....

I know what you mean about the grip Uncle, mine never wheel spins, and you can floor her straight away. Good stuff.

Well it's been a long busy weekend, and I haven't had time to wash her, but I did take some photo's as promised. Sorry for the dirt!

side.jpg

rearqtr2.jpg

rearqtr.jpg

rear.jpg

front2.jpg

front.jpg

Cheers
John

Thats one hell of a paint job - what is it, pure matt black?

I got my first taste of the winter roads last week with snow and ice on the way to work. Could've done with a quattro as the traction control was going mental, and the car sideways.

Like the chin spolier is that standard on the s-lines now?

The colour is Lava Grey.

The front and rear bumpers are part of the s-line exterior styling pack.

Thought £900 was a tad expensive for them, but I really like how they make the car look a little different, and a bit more aggressive.

[ QUOTE ]
Like the chin spolier is that standard on the s-lines now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes all S-line packages now include the exterior styling pack. Which is front/rear bumper, rear spoiler and radiator grill.

Yeah it does look good, I would like to add the front, rear and side to mine - wonder if they have come down in price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif