Goodbye S3

SilureMark

Reaction score
After much thought and a few test drives, I've decided to order a new TTS to replace my S3 that's now 18 months old and covered 31,000 miles. I've tried to love it, but just can't get past its failings: poor driving position, so-so handling and lack of steering feel, the bland looks and just a plain lack of overall engagement. I tried the new RS3, but it had the most of the same issues as my S3 and would be a very expensive car to run, given I do 20k miles a year. The RS3's I have driven (3 test drives) didn't actually feel any quicker than my S3, but I'll admit, they handled way better. OK, the noise from the rear was pretty good, but other than that... I was left with impression that less is more and would say an S3 is the better car, all things considered. Do remember that these are MY opinions and I am sure many people love their S3 to bits. I don't and can't wait to see the back of it really. That last S3 I had was a great car, the new one, well, you have my opinion! Oh, I did look at the Golf R - better to drive than my S3, yes. But the interior leaves a lot to be desired and I don't like the look of them. Merc A45 AMG? No thanks. Awful interior and too shouty for my tastes. Must say though, a hoot to drive and far more engaging than an S3 and even an RS3...

Now, the TTS. I was very surprised how much better it was to drive than my S3 and the fact that the driving position was 'just right'. Looks wise, no competition with the S3, which is after all, just an A3 with some bling. Also, the TTS feels, well, special. I love the new dash and the interior is awesome. I've gone for ibis white and the 20" wheel option, which the dealer is arranging to have painted gloss black for me on delivery. Added four grand of toys and it'll be another S tronic box. About the only thing I could find that I wasn't liking? The shift paddles are tiny little plastic things, not at all the same as my S3. I have read that they can be swapped over, so that'll be the first mod...

I would say that if you're not happy with your S3 or are just pondering, what next? Do try the TTS. You'll be surprised just how good it is. I was, that's for sure. Now the wait for my new car. No build week yet...

Reactions: naughts4187, RedDejavu, Snibo and 1 other person
TTS is a great car. No use for me as I need to get my daughter and her car seat / base into the back.
Maybe in a few years when she's in a booster, but I expect I'll be moving away from Audi when I next change car.

I'd be inclined to stick with 19's, 20's could and likely will compromise the ride.
Personal preference, s-tronic/auto detracts from the experience of driving and it sounds to me like that is your priority in this purchase.
I've had a s-tronic S3 and a manual one, and the manual improves things considerably for me, so would have manual too.

Reactions: David83S3
@SilureMark sounds like you have made a well thought out decision, hope you enjoy the TTS

I had a new TTS on loan for the weekend a month back and was very impressed and agree with what you say about it and the new cockpit dash is awesome and I will certainly be considering it as my next car. That said I have only had the S3 a coupe of months and still need the space of the SB for a few more years.

Good colour choice as well , pleased you avoided the Vegas Yellow that I had as that attracted more little buzzy things than a real yellow flowers attracts bees..lol

@craigl with you on Manual over auto, but that's always a very personal choice but I will sacrifice 0-60 time and launch control for the ability to gear change with a stick

Last edited:
Reactions: Wondering Soul
You've obviously thought out your decision and it's all about what works for you, that's all that matters!

I love my S3 but I will admit that I was surprised at how much I enjoyed a TT loan car I got when I went in for a service a while back, the topic is floating round here somewhere. I'm sure you'll be very happy with your decision, the waiting game begins!

Today I left my details with Ford asking for a test drive when they get the new Focus RS in, must admit it does look good :)

Minus the black alloys though ;)

Build and Price   Ford UK

Reactions: Snibo, Jassyo06 and veeeight
I like the S3 and the RS3, worth the premium oh yes ;) The TT does look great too though + the sports seats are wonderful, **** knows why we can't have them in our S3 / RS3 :mad:

TX.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Do you mind if I ask....what sort of cost to change for the TTS?

l have been pondering in the last 2 months about my S3...JUST me though, nowt wrong superficially about my car,it looks stunning....The TTS KEEPS...on pulling me into its web, saw two the day i test drove the RS3, one in the Showrooom and the other was a ex demo on the forecourt both in white

Forecourt one, was a manual £37k....showroom one was nearly £50k £48,900 to be exact....now me being me, l would have to have almost all the toys....as good as the TTS....ITS NOT A £50K...car, nowhere near it and that's where the story ends for me anyhow.
Best colour it looks awesome in Sepang with the BSP

So you've finally decided to ditch the S3 then ... But like Craig, you never really gelled with it did you.

TTS is a great car and we have one on order currently for my wife in floret silver. We've gone manual though as wife not keen on autos, which is fine by me as I will get to use the car often too and still like manual and will have s tronic in my RS3.

Build date on our TT took 3 months to show on the tracker and is Jan build so 5 months after August order placement - yours may appear quicker if your Dealer has any open slots.

The dash is great though isn't it. Although I style like analogue too. We've stuck with 19" alloys but the 20" do look nice. The lights are great too. I've previously had 2 mark 2 TT's and loved them both - the mark 3 is s great step forward I really like it too.

I'm sure you'll be happy with the TTS.

I have a Mark 2 TT and love it so I'm certain that the new TTS will be a great car. It does surprise me though that you can get it with Self-Park (on a sports car ????) but you can't specify Adaptive Cruise Control (unless things have changed). That feature is so useful that it would stop me changing. That and I'm not a great fan of the Virtual Cockpit - I love the look but it needs a separate screen for the passenger to change navigation, radio etc. That's what they've done on the Q7, A4 etc. But they're just my ramblings!

Great honest post.
i was in the same position and felt the same way about my S3, great little car. I just never truly bonded with it and it didn't feel special enough even though it has the power.
I too went down the TTS route after considering a RS3 and so glad I did.
The TTS is in a different league IMO and I am now happy that I am driving something that looks special inside and out, has perfect driving position and handles the road with greater confidence.
It might not have that 2.5l engine from the RS but in all honesty the 310bhp is more than enough and this car feels extremely rapid when you press the loud pedal!
The exhaust sounds much better than the S3 as well and when in sport/dynamic mode you do get little crackles and pops on the over run.....just need them to be louder, after market exhaust...?

Oh and something else to be aware of if you are doing a lot of miles.....
The spec figures state that the TTS does the same mpg as the S3....don't believe it.
I used to get around 38mpg on my 24 mile commute to work in the S3, normal mundane driving. (even got 42 once on same journey)
So far I now get around 32/33 and 34/35 at a push if I hardly use the accelerator lol.
If you press on and use the power a bit then expect to 30mpg max on a commute.
Although mpg isn't top priority, I was a little disappointed as I was expecting the same as the S3. Maybe this will improve as the miles go on, but I seem to remember getting good mpg on the S3 from new.

Good thread, I too will be making this agonizing decision soon. What to replace the S3 with.
You narrow down the shortlist, then add, then take away x50. It never ends

Good luck with the TTS Mark.

At least you didn't end up with the RS3..... :p

No catch...drivethedeal are a long standing company.

Bargain TTs for someone!

Reactions: DangerS3
Good luck and a good decision. I'm sure you'll be chuffed to bits.

No catch...drivethedeal are a long standing company.

Bargain TTs for someone!

Oh right, so do you pay them a commission fee?

And yeah I agree, those prices are very low.

Good luck with the TTS Mark.

At least you didn't end up with the RS3..... :p

Really looked to struggle with understeer, particularly under 60mph in the initial tight section of the lap.

Maybe a nod for the wider anthracite front wheels?

Really looked to struggle with understeer, particularly under 60mph in the initial tight section of the lap.

Maybe a nod for the wider anthracite front wheels?

Ha. It already had the wider front wheels :D

The other entertaining feature was the tank slapper towards the end of the circuit - this is exactly what I experienced in the RS3 - steering is not precise, and the suspension is not that well setup in order to hold the car, and vary it with prevision with the throttle/steering about the neutral point.

Ha. It already had the wider front wheels :D

The other entertaining feature was the tank slapper towards the end of the circuit - this is exactly what I experienced in the RS3 - steering is not precise, and the suspension is not that well setup in order to hold the car, and vary it with prevision with the throttle/steering about the neutral point.

Entertaining and tyre wrecking in equal measure.

While I don't have the skill or opportunity to try such things, it would IMHO be nice to know it was within the cars repertoire :readit:

Entertaining and tyre wrecking in equal measure.

While I don't have the skill or opportunity to try such things, it would IMHO be nice to know it was within the cars repertoire :readit:

I don't have the skill either but did have the opportunity last week to take the RS3 on a slalom course as part of an Audi Sport event and easily manged to to do a fair bit of damage to a set of tyres :grinning:

Reactions: xBox
same here ........ taken round a circuit on an Audi showcase event with a Pro at the wheel in August this year and the new RS3 was hugely impressive on track and cornering forces in particular were more than I will ever need on a UK road :)

Reactions: G-S3, Daveotto and xBox
same here ........ taken round a circuit on an Audi showcase event with a Pro at the wheel in August this year and the new RS3 was hugely impressive on track and cornering forces in particular were more than I will ever need on a UK road :)

Maybe you need a ride in a non-Audi car to see just how far adrift a RS3 is, from a good handling car that rewards good drive inputs ;)

(actually, scrap that, you've bought the car you want, so all is good)

Last edited:
Maybe you need a ride in a non-Audi car to see just how far adrift a RS3 is, from a good handling car that rewards good drive inputs ;)

(actually, scrap that, you've bought the car you want, so all is good)

I've had my fair share of track days over the years so pretty good judge.

It was lapping quicker than a standard v8 R8 too which I'd just been out in prior to the RS3 albeit I accept that's still as Audi :)

I will never rag my own car in the way cars are round a track, but it was good to appreciate first hand just how capable the rs3 was on track.

Reactions: G-S3
I know you're not going to change your mind, but the RS3 can't be that good around a track if it gets out handled and out paced by a Golf R on a track ;)

And the accompanying Auto Bild video to the one above, shows the AMG A45 beating the RS3 by 2 seconds around that very same track (but without the terminal understeer and tank slapper ;) ) - despite the RS3 being half a litre up and having an extra cylinder!

But - for all the talk of track work, unfortunately, for me, the RS3 does display those undesirable characteristics on the road, at lower speeds. All it takes is a damp Autumn day, and that nose heavy car and wider front tyres starts working against itself. Front end grip is eroded, which, for an AWD car, goes against everything it stands for!

That 5-cyl engine, as lovely as it is, is just in the wrong place. The balance of the car is compromised. Couple that with the less than sorted suspension and steering, the RS3 just looks poorly set up against its more sorted competitors. Very quick in a straight line and nice interior, though :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Simon L and CraigI
I know you're not going to change your mind, but the RS3 can't be that good around a track if it gets out handled and out paced by a Golf R on a track ;)

And the accompanying Auto Bild video to the one above, shows the AMG A45 beating the RS3 by 2 seconds around that very same track (but without the terminal understeer and tank slapper ;) ) - despite the RS3 being half a litre up and having an extra cylinder!

But - for all the talk of track work, unfortunately, for me, the RS3 does display those undesirable characteristics on the road, at lower speeds. All it takes is a damp Autumn day, and that nose heavy car and wider front tyres starts working against itself. Front end grip is eroded, which, for an AWD car, goes against everything it stands for!

That 5-cyl engine, as lovely as it is, is just in the wrong place. The balance of the car is compromised. Couple that with the less than sorted suspension and steering, the RS3 just looks poorly set up against its more sorted competitors. Very quick in a straight line and nice interior, though :)

Great to see you back in fine fettle V8.................haven't seen this ol nag flogged for ..................................er, well a couple of days anyway!! lol

Reactions: veeeight and Jassyo06
................have you gone yet Mark.............I hate long goodbyes................................gets me all damp-eyed!! ;)