Goodbye Vauxhall (sort of), well hello Audi S3

Looks like a really thorough install and proper job! Nice!

I have these options fitted from the factory and your additions look just like they were fitted by Audi. Very nice job! I don’t really use the rear camera though - I think it’s a bit of a gimmick. I prefer to look out the rear window, but the all-round parking sensors are really handy. I’ve been driving my retro 8L a lot lately and since I’ve got so used to the 8V beeping everywhere, it feels weird to have a silent car when manoeuvring in tight spaces!
Oh and the hold assist is Amazing. I love the car holding the brakes on when I come to a stop. I don’t like the fact it blinds other road users with the brake lights though, but it makes my life a lot easier!!

Reactions: pburv
I'm sure you ain't bothered but is this work going to affect your warranty?
Cracking job though :thumbs up:

I bet it wasn't cheap to have all that work done . I wouldn't mind having reversing camera fitted if I keep my car its the one thing I miss from
my old car

I only found out a few weeks ago that with a long press of the boot button on the remote it fully unlatches the tailgate. I had a plan pop into my head at this point and after a look round found a shop on eBay selling replacement gas struts offering the ability to automatically open the tailgate utilising the existing long press on your remote. I took the chance and purchased from quickLIFT who are a business seller on UK eBay and based in Poland. I’m very impressed with the service as they arrived fully tracked via UPS 5 days (3 business days) after placing the order.

This is what arrived being very surprised that they care with a microfiber and screwdriver to aid fitting.

20200826_134847Small.jpg

20200826_134851Small.jpg

20200826_135228Small.jpg

20200826_135234Small.jpg

These are the assister springs that help with the initial tailgate lift which then allows the gas strut to take over and fully open.

20200826_135245Small.jpg

Fitting was easy as I’ve changed loads of boot struts over the years. I used my Quick-Support to hold the tailgate which is used in my Amarok to stop items flying around in the rear bed, it made fitting a doddle.

20200901_120307Small.jpg

I did notice the replacement struts were slightly shorter at 545mm than the OE struts at 557mm. This means with the tailgate fully open using OE struts you get 1975mm floor to tailgate lip and with the quickLIFT you get 1910mm. Not a massive difference and if your short will help you reach the close handle easier.

20200901_120118Small.jpg

I carefully closed the tailgate after fitting and instantly noticed the extra force from the gas struts. When I got to the springs and they began to compress you could really feel the resistance and have to use a lot of force to close the tailgate, quite scary amounts of force to be honest but it closes just fine. I checked the new struts cleared and weren’t going to scratch the paint and I’m pleased to say all is good.

Now for the good part, long press for the remote and hey presto…open sesame.

The wife and I are really chuffed and it’ll save any messing around when placing items in the boot. Time will tell how well they last and work over Winter when I know the gas struts will react slower when it's cold. A very useful mod for the cost.

Reactions: toooldforboyracing and Jcbmally
I forgot to add a picture of the amazing extra dash button I’ve now gained after the reftrofit and the upgrade to Parking System Plus. Looking darn fine and it's so exciting when you press it and it goes red...if you have one try it as you might enjoy it.

20200901_133903Small.jpg

I've had a play with VCDS and set the driving mode to Dynamic then coded out the exhaust flaps so they remain open and use all four tailpipes all the time. I’m just curious what it sounds like with a deeper note no matter what driving mode you’re in. There’s a nice video guide here for anyone wanting to play.

20200901_141249Small.jpg

I forgot to add a picture of the amazing extra dash button I’ve now gained after the reftrofit and the upgrade to Parking System Plus. Looking darn fine and it's so exciting when you press it and it goes red...if you have one try it as you might enjoy it.

20200901_133903Small.jpg

I've had a play with VCDS and set the driving mode to Dynamic then coded out the exhaust flaps so they remain open and use all four tailpipes all the time. I’m just curious what it sounds like with a deeper note no matter what driving mode you’re in. There’s a nice video guide here for anyone wanting to play.

20200901_141249Small.jpg
Nice and tidy job mate.:thumbs up:
I know that one of the spare button spaces is reserved for 'park assist' but I have always wondered what the other one is for??:readit:

The S3 had a rather annoying scratch which appeared last year and it was just that bit too deep to get mopped out as you can see.

20200903_153232Small.jpg

So it got booked into my local smart repair who I’ve used previously. As you can see he’s done a cracking job and even re-coated the ceramic finish.

20200914_165022Small.jpg

Thanks Ben at Fleets Ahead, yet another awesome paint tickle.

20200914_163429Small.jpg

I had a play with VCDS the other day on my Amarok dash and now have a funky digital speedo in the MFD. The lower KPH is now a selectable option should I ever wish to venture into Europe. I followed this really simple guide from Advanced In-Car Technologies click me and yes I backed up all the existing coding before I began.

20200924_171238Small.jpg

As it’s quickly becoming that yucky weather time here in the UK with Winter fast approaching it’s only fitting that I swap the floor mats over and bosh the rubber goodness in for extra protection against liquid secretions. It's a shame Audi never released genuine S3 branded RHD floor mats but I'm not posh and it's based on an A3 so I don't care about the branding as there's enough darn S3 badges to remind me what it is every time I get in. S3/A3 one in the same but different :blahblah1:

20201010_121531Small.jpg

It got a good rinse, wash and dry last weekend...then it rained yet again but at least it’s clean rain and not the sandy stuff which leaves your car looking like it’s been driven in a desert. Paintwork still beading up nicely thanks to the ceramic coating.

20201010_164834Small.jpg

Reactions: Jcbmally and pburv
I was washing the S3 (again) the other week and noticed a paint chip on the front bumper which was rather annoying.

20201016_122425Small.jpg

For the time being I’ve touched it up the best I can before getting it properly sorted when the weather warms up. Fortunately, it’s not in a conspicuous place so it’s not obvious.

20201018_093428Small.jpg

After having a poke around the forums I noted there is a G-Meter hiding in the Virtual Cockpit which is not activated on the S3 so coded it in using my VCDS. Module 17, Long Coding, Byte 10, Bit 2 and tick the box named Display ‘Acceleration’.

20201023_163445Small.jpg

This then allows the option for the G-Meter to be displayed as shown on my dash. After having a play, it seems totally and utterly pointless for a road car and as quickly as I coded it on it was coded off. You just don’t experience enough G-force for it to have any practical use and yes, I know it’s just a gimmick but for me it’s utterly useless.

20201025_144248Small.jpg

Wifey made a lush apple pie at the weekend, it was yummy and didn’t have a soggy bottom hmmm.

20201025_161925Small.jpg

In other news as I’ve not noticed any difference with the Ramair panel filter, I wasn’t expecting to in all honesty, I’ve now reverted to the stock setup.

I had previously removed the so-called snow gate so cleaned up the lower airbox which only had minor debris. The Ramair filter and inside the airbox was dry as a bone even after the car was used in monsoon rain conditions the day prior meaning the extra cold air holes I have cut earlier this year don’t drag water in.

20201030_144215Small.jpg

Snow gate installed with the addition of a pair of quick removal pullers aka zip ties. This will allow easier remove to clean inside of the airbox during services.

20201030_144436Small.jpg

Last but not lease the OE air filter was popped back in. Not having a map on the car you can’t feel any difference at all with the snow gate installed/removed nor with the Ramair panel filter or stock OE filter. Standard is the new modified for the time being…time will tell if this lasts, roll-on 2021…mwahaha!!!

20201030_144759Small.jpg

Reactions: pburv and Jcbmally
Random find of the weekend with no known usefulness. With a Virtual Cockpit if you press & hold the odometer reset button “0.0” for 10 seconds it shows you the engine code for 10 seconds in place of your total mileage.

20201107_113946Small.jpg

Reactions: JohnM100, pburv, Jcbmally and 1 other person
Another random Virtual cockpit (+ stock dash with MFD) find which I noted from the owner’s manual. If you double press the trip reset “0.0” within 5 seconds of turning the ignition on it shows you all the software info which you can scroll through and read should you feel the need, yawn.

20201110_155131Small.jpg

In other news I’ve been reading about Google Earth license expiring at the end of this year and can confirm it looks to be true as my Audi Connect licenses were due for renewal on 20/12/2020 (dd/mm/yyyy for the US reader). I requested my renewals which have been completed with the relevant licenses updated to 20/12/2021, except for Google Earth which has remained at 20/12/2020. I’ve read there is an update for the MMI which uses Maxar imagery but as yet my dealer isn’t aware of this.

20201116_093255Small.jpg

Had a play with my trusty VCDS HEX-CAN (thinking of upgrading to HEX-V2) and now have the option to completely turn off the S3 DRL with my light switch in the “0” position. With the switch in “Auto” the DRL are on as per normal. I do a lot of waiting for the wife (or did before lockdown) as we car share and with the car idling it’s nice not to blind everyone with the DRL on while waiting. I know you can activate a DRL on/off option within the MMI Lights menu but found the switch option better for my needs.

20201116_121941Small.jpg

Reactions: Jcbmally
A while ago I happened to be reading through the sale brochure and noted the Audi Beam option was listed as a standard option for the S3. After a poke around the forums it became clear Audi dropped this idea as a cost saving measure when the S3 mk3 FL was released. Some new S3 owners mentioned the puddle lights to dealers and some had them fitted for free but most didn’t.

20201117_170730Small.jpg

Looking for genuine Audi Beam puddle lights it quickly became apparent Audi had a huge mark-up at over £100 a pair! Being a frugal soul, I bought a set of four copies from a certain auction site for £14 delivered. The funky new puddle lights are designed for the PFL and FL so came supplied with adaptor wires to fit the FL.

20201105_122524Small.jpg

They were a little too tall for the FL fittings so I trimed the excess off the corner thanks to my trusty Dremel and a file. It was all neatly covered with insulation tape afterwards for an authentic none modded finish.

20201117_094549Small.jpg

20201117_094657Small.jpg

After the trimming it was a plug‘n’play install with the adaptor loom covered in Tessa tape (other brands are available) to stop any annoying rattle and the push fit adaptor loom coming loose.

20201117_094823Small.jpg

20201117_094948Small.jpg

20201117_095117Small.jpg

I opted for the OE Audi Beam look with the four ring lighting option and they look pretty good at night so I’m rather pleased with them. I won’t see any puddles but who cares when you have a sweet looking Audi logo shining on the floor. The S3 standard fit light up sill plates are awesome, you just end up seeing white dots if you stare at them.

20201117_170716Small.jpg

20201117_170724Small.jpg

A while ago I happened to be reading through the sale brochure and noted the Audi Beam option was listed as a standard option for the S3. After a poke around the forums it became clear Audi dropped this idea as a cost saving measure when the S3 mk3 FL was released. Some new S3 owners mentioned the puddle lights to dealers and some had them fitted for free but most didn’t.

20201117_170730Small.jpg

Looking for genuine Audi Beam puddle lights it quickly became apparent Audi had a huge mark-up at over £100 a pair! Being a frugal soul, I bought a set of four copies from a certain auction site for £14 delivered. The funky new puddle lights are designed for the PFL and FL so came supplied with adaptor wires to fit the FL.

20201105_122524Small.jpg

They were a little too tall for the FL fittings so I trimed the excess off the corner thanks to my trusty Dremel and a file. It was all neatly covered with insulation tape afterwards for an authentic none modded finish.

20201117_094549Small.jpg

20201117_094657Small.jpg

After the trimming it was a plug‘n’play install with the adaptor loom covered in Tessa tape (other brands are available) to stop any annoying rattle and the push fit adaptor loom coming loose.

20201117_094823Small.jpg

20201117_094948Small.jpg

20201117_095117Small.jpg

I opted for the OE Audi Beam look with the four ring lighting option and they look pretty good at night so I’m rather pleased with them. I won’t see any puddles but who cares when you have a sweet looking Audi logo shining on the floor. The S3 standard fit light up sill plates are awesome, you just end up seeing white dots if you stare at them.

20201117_170716Small.jpg

20201117_170724Small.jpg
Is it the fllor surface or are the lights a bit "rough". I remember my puddle lights been a hell of a lot clearer than those.

Awesome thread. Loved seeing your cool Vauxhall’s and what’s your get you to with your S3.
I would like to put the parking system in my car so I will check out that company in Leicester.

My old faithful has been superseded with a junior upstart. I’ve had my VCDS HEX+CAN for 6 years and it’s proven extremely useful, especially chasing various “blips” on my old Touareg V10 Altitude (awesome vehicle very sadly missed to this day).

I’ve been hanging my nose over the VCDS HEX-V2 for a while now and finally bit the bullet treating myself to an early Christmas present. I considered the ODBeleven but prefer detail over simplicity, it’s no bother whipping my laptop out to plug it in and you have one upfront payment to give access to everything. Yes, I might have gone a little overboard buying the Unlimited VIN version but it means no worries using up all the VIN licenses, not that I have any plans to use it commercially.

Both were purchased directly from Gendan who are an official UK distributor and come highly recommended.

20201124_172336Small.jpg

Hi pal,I have 19 plate s3 without the puddle lights.is there a loom in the door for a quick plug and play,regards
20201117_170730Small.jpg

20201105_122524Small.jpg

20201117_094549Small.jpg

20201117_094657Small.jpg

20201117_094823Small.jpg

20201117_094948Small.jpg

20201117_095117Small.jpg

20201117_170716Small.jpg

20201117_170724Small.jpg

Just trawled my way through your thread, Harvey!

There was a time when I too was a Vauxhall owner, through my company car policy at the time. I ended that tenure with a Black GSi 2.5 (can't remember the year, it was a 'V' reg). I loved that car, Recaro seats and all and it really got a move on. When I changed companies I was given a 1.6 Mondeo!!

I had an MG ZT 1.8T for nine years before I bought my Sepang Blue S3 Saloon six years ago. Unlike you I'm not into home mechanics, so I've always had the dealer look after my car. I'm retired, so annual mileage is miniscule, but I'll probably have the car detailed on its tenth birthday .. yours looks terrific after your mate's attentions.

Enjoy the Audi experience, you won't regret diving into our world!

@Rupert49 I hope you enjoyed the read. I still love my current rusty Vauxhall fleet & none will be going anywhere soon but I do have a hankering for a VXR8, Supercharged of course.

Since entering the world of VAG back in 2015 when the wife & I dived right into the deep end with a Touareg V10 Altitude we've not looked back. The S3 will certainly not be going anywhere soon as we love it to bits, ticks all our boxes plus more :yahoo:

Reactions: Sandra
That thing you've got about shiny tail pipes .. I'm the same (must be OCD too!) but, irrespective of how dirty the car is, I always take a damp cloth to the tail pipes once I've parked back home for the day. The whole quad pipe look was one of the many things that appealed to me from the outset, so why let them get all coked up, black and nondescript?

Here’s a better picture of the aftermarket puddle lights that I fitted the other week. This was taken on flat dry tarmac, they look even better on wet tarmac. For the price I paid being £7 pair I’m very happy with them and they look, to me anyway, the same as the OE Audi Beam which are £110 pair retail!

20201201_175329Small.jpg

Popped to my local circuit yesterday at Donington Park for rally servicing duties for my mate on the 61st Rainworth Skoda Dukeries Rally 2020. Unfortunately, due to COVID-19 the event was closed to spectators.

The car looking all pretty before the start.

20201206_092527Small.jpg

Driver and co-driver buzzing with excitement and anticipation.

20201206_092820Small.jpg

Stage 1 complete and the only physical injury of the day, yet another wing mirror removed on a chicane…it’s a common theme!

20201206_100543Small.jpg

Car getting the lunchtime spanner check and once over.

20201206_142556Small.jpg

20201206_100648Small.jpg

20201206_092620Small.jpg

20201206_101319Small.jpg

Off they pop for yet more stage fun.

20201206_122113Small.jpg

The final stage 6 of the day was in the dark so we pimped the rally ride with added brightness.

20201206_153159Small.jpg

20201206_153303Small.jpg

Scores on the doors 40th overall from 102 starts and 5th in class. Pretty good for a highly competitive field.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Jcbmally and pburv
The Amarok has a suspect rear inner right park sensor so to be 100% with the part number I removed the rear bumper before ordering a spare. I also swapped the suspect sensor to the outer right location so if/when it happens again I can be sure it’s dodgy. Everything got a good clean before reassembly time.

20201211_140850Small.jpg

The suspect sensor part no. 1S0-919-275-C-BT5 in reflex silver. My suspect sensor is causing the PDC to show red for this particular sensor when no objects are there but only when it’s very wet and not all the time so no fault codes stored.

20201211_140824Small.jpg

20201211_140830Small.jpg

On a happy jolly note the Christmas tree is up and the car theme continues. A brass VW logo and Vauxhall baubles, both custom made. The VW was an extra from a batch my mates employer made a couple of years ago and the Vauxhall dangles (I’ve got x2) I was given in a Secret Santa about 15 years ago. I’ll have to make my own Audi bauble next!

20201213_142833Small.jpg

20201213_142914Small.jpg

Reactions: pburv, Jcbmally and Sandra
Happy birthday S3 :birthdaycake: 4 years old today with 15,667 miles on the clock. To celebrate it had a service+MOT on Thursday, passing with flying colours. I got carried away this week after washing the Winter muck off & gave it the Carpro Reload treatment which I was recommended after having the ceramic coating earlier this year.

20201216_102750Small.jpg

I’m really pleased with the finish and it’s so easy to apply & remove.

20201216_105155Small.jpg

Happy days, still no parking dings…probably shouldn’t have said that!

20201216_102817Small.jpg

While I was at it the space saver got a health check and was down at 45psi so my trusty assistant aka Mr Ryobi pumped it back up to 60psi.

20201216_120400Small.jpg

The Autosol came out to play & the tailpipes had another polish, I just can't help myself.

20201216_130217Small.jpg

There’s nothing finer than a set a bling quad pipes.

20201216_130243Small.jpg

The Google Earth license expires tomorrow & already looked to have gone AWOL as it was showing this on Thursday & wouldn’t load. I’m still chasing the Audi Digital Services Team to confirm if the S3 can have the ‘satellite card’ update to run the Maxar satellite maps.

20201217_112042Small.jpg

20201217_112125Small.jpg

In other news we have more birthday excitement :birthdaycake: as the Amarok turns 3 years old on Monday, it had a service+MOT yesterday and passed without issue. I supplied the required 8L oil+filter for the service & the garage said it was on the lower limit of the dip stick after the oil change. When I got home, I squeezed the truck onto my perfectly level drive next to the house to check the oil level.

20201218_141705Small.jpg

It was showing ¼ down from full as you can see in the picture so I could have left it but instead popped an extra 250ml in which took it to full on the dip stick.

20201218_143313Small.jpg

Happy birthday S3 :birthdaycake: 4 years old today with 15,667 miles on the clock. To celebrate it had a service+MOT on Thursday, passing with flying colours. I got carried away this week after washing the Winter muck off & gave it the Carpro Reload treatment which I was recommended after having the ceramic coating earlier this year.

20201216_102750Small.jpg

I’m really pleased with the finish and it’s so easy to apply & remove.

20201216_105155Small.jpg

Happy days, still no parking dings…probably shouldn’t have said that!

20201216_102817Small.jpg

While I was at it the space saver got a health check and was down at 45psi so my trusty assistant aka Mr Ryobi pumped it back up to 60psi.

20201216_120400Small.jpg

The Autosol came out to play & the tailpipes had another polish, I just can't help myself.

20201216_130217Small.jpg

There’s nothing finer than a set a bling quad pipes.

20201216_130243Small.jpg

The Google Earth license expires tomorrow & already looked to have gone AWOL as it was showing this on Thursday & wouldn’t load. I’m still chasing the Audi Digital Services Team to confirm if the S3 can have the ‘satellite card’ update to run the Maxar satellite maps.

20201217_112042Small.jpg

20201217_112125Small.jpg
Wow! Four years has gone quick. Still looking fresh mind you.:thumbs up:

In other news we have more birthday excitement :birthdaycake: as the Amarok turns 3 years old on Monday, it had a service+MOT yesterday and passed without issue. I supplied the required 8L oil+filter for the service & the garage said it was on the lower limit of the dip stick after the oil change. When I got home, I squeezed the truck onto my perfectly level drive next to the house to check the oil level.

20201218_141705Small.jpg

It was showing ¼ down from full as you can see in the picture so I could have left it but instead popped an extra 250ml in which took it to full on the dip stick.

20201218_143313Small.jpg
It just shows you that looking after a car correctly has its rewards. Lovely job mate.

My Google Earth license expired on 20th December but my Audi Connect license was renewed in late November just before Audi started to charge for the service, lucky me. I loved the Google Earth satellite overlay and my S3 MY17 (registered new 19th Dec 2016) having the Technology Pack Advanced (MIB2 High & Virtual Cockpit) plus a valid Audi Connect license I thought could be updated having read various threads on this forum. I contacted Audi Digital Services to see if I could have when they are calling “Satellite Card” update applied to my vehicle as I was already missing the satellite overlay. My reply from Audi Digital Services wasn’t at all helpful…

Thank you for contacting Audi Digital Services.

We wish you a Merry Christmas and we hope this e-mail finds you well.

Audi along with Google is developing a new navigational system to further improve our customer experience. We checked your vehicle with
VIN: WAUZZZ8V3******** and noticed that it is not eligible to have the new navigation system installed.

We thank you for understanding and appreciate your cooperation.

We hope this information was helpful. Please, do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance you may need. We are available 24/7 and can be reached either by calling 0800-2792884, or by contacting this email.

Kind regards,

At this point I was already in conversation with @DJAlix regarding the so called “Satellite Card” mystery. After supplying my MIB2 version details (Engineering Menu, Nav/Map toggled up, immediately followed by Media toggled down, then hold for 5 seconds. Same to exit) I was informed my software was very old and an update to the latest version might/could/possibly/maybe restore the satellite overlay. The latest version was released over a year ago but Audi dealers use the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” mentality so rarely update software unless there is an issue.

After an epic 260mile/4h 30m/39mpg round trip to see DJAlix at VAG Car Coding I’ve now got my satellite overlay restored, hurrah :)

Massive thanks go out to DJAlix for his invaluable work and knowledge and all that was required to get my satellite overlay restored was an update to the latest version of the MIB2 software. As Audi would like you to believe it’s not all smoke and mirrors or this so called “Satellite Card” it’s simply an update to the latest software that’s required. The work cannot be performed remotely as a physical SD card with the genuine Audi updates must be installed into the MIB2 unit to update it.

I can highly recommend a trip to see DJAlix as he’ll get you sorted in less than an hour and back on your way with a smile on your face and a lovely satellite overlay fully working. Thanks again to VAG Car Coding, you’re a super star!

Now the more interesting part, the pictures…

Licences before software update showing “Google Earth” listed, the date showed as “Expired” prior to the update.

20201116_093255Small.jpg

Licenses after software update now showing “Satellite map” and the correct Audi Connect expiry date.

20201230_132415Small.jpg

MIB2 original software versions on my unit.

20201221_152405Small.jpg

MIB2 updated software versions now installed on my unit.

20201230_132656Small.jpg

Some pretty satellite overlay now it’s working again. The new system caches image data locally which I’m assuming is to cut-down mobile data usage and offer faster load times but there aren’t any technical details that I can find regarding this.

20201230_132032Small.jpg

20201230_132125Small.jpg

The new satellite imagery now comes with a virtual horizon showing blue at the top and with headlights on this goes black. In addition, lots of supplier text the user don’t need to know about. Both mildly annoying but I’m happy to have the satellite overlay back thanks to DJAlix at VAG Car Coding.

20201230_132202Small.jpg

Zoom out enough and you think your in a spaceship, note the NASA text ;)

20201230_132236Small.jpg

After my splendid road trip to get the satellite overlay sorted the S3 was filthy :scared2:

20201230_142156Small.jpg

After an hour of good scrubbing, it came up gleaming which pleased me immensely. I really have caught the clean car bug this year but don’t know if that’s a good or bad thing :help:

20201230_155409Small.jpg

Just read through this, you do some amazing work.

can I ask how much the retro fits costs for your S3 including vagpro supplying the parts. The retro fits you got them do do are the exact ones i want done on my car.

Stocked up with service spares as a certain auction site were offering 20% discount so bought 1.5L of G13 spec concentrate coolant (Febi 30200) as top-up for the S3 and Amarok with both this spec. Bit of a shame really as I’ve got a 20L tub over half full of GM equivalent G12 concentrate which I use in my rusty Vauxhall fleet.

20210114_161121Small.jpg

Loving the purple lid so you can identify it instantly as G13. If you don’t know what I mean go research the different VAG coolant specs but this guide offers a descent overview here.

20210114_161141Small.jpg

Also grabbed 850ml tub of Haldex Gen 5 service oil (Febi 101172). Then ordered the Gen 5 Haldex pump seals plus drain/fill bolts from Haldex Repairs (by Auto Fault Finder). Total parts price was £26.06 (bargain) and I’ll be servicing the Haldex myself sooner rather than later after reading various posts!

20210114_161056Small.jpg

Behold a very useful tool. Laser Tools 4385 Multi Purpose Mini Pump to make my life a whole lot easier when servicing the Haldex come refill time.

20210115_092810Small.jpg

In other news my Ryobi cordless tool collection has grown with an angle grinder and finger file, both yet to be used in anger but very useful indeed ;)

20210115_092708Small.jpg

Gave the wife's Astra mk3 some loving today and replaced the worn gear & handbrake gators with aftermarket leather goodness.

The original gear gator was beginning to look terrible which would never do.

20210120_093738Small.jpg

Easily removed with gentle persuasion.

20210120_101739Small.jpg

The replacement handbrake gator installed on the plastic frame after a touch of cutting & careful fitting as it was a little larger than the original.

20210119_171339Small.jpg

I removed the staples from the original gear gator so I could reuse the plastic frame.

20210120_100556Small.jpg

20210120_160032Small.jpg

Drilled 1.5mm holes through the leather and plastic frames then use steel garden twine with the plastic coating stripped to hold both replacement gators in position.

20210120_155936Small.jpg

20210120_160000Small.jpg

A job done well & well done, pat on the back for me & a happy wife so a win win all round.

20210120_161718Small.jpg

Reactions: Jcbmally and s3mad_dude