Facelift Goodwood Festival of Speed - RS 3 launch photos

E S Blofeld

Reaction score
Excuse the iPhone images but thought you guys might like to see these. Took them yesterday at FOS. Love the Floret Silver Sportback, might go for this colour. It looked stunning with the Black Pack.

It's now a case of driving this and the M2 then deciding which to place an order for. Demo cars arrive at dealers in Sept apparently.

FOS   1

FOS   2

FOS   3

FOS   4

FOS   5

FOS   6

FOS   7

FOS   8

Reactions: dno_uk, Tomplumb, BarryG79 and 2 others
Thanks very much :D I did expect a couple more in different colours, quite disappointing on that front. Floret looks great there I must say!

September for dealer cars? That's when they have said the customer cars will arrive! Hm, was hoping for a demo the end of next month when it gets the centre introduction.

I was told dealers getting their cars in Sept by my local dealer. It may be earlier. Just going on what I was told.

The new car is a step up from before and the price hike not quite as bad as I was expecting given they come with more standard kit now. Just configured a car on Audi UK, coming in around £52k OTR. I seem to remember the same spec car pre facelift was very similar money (perhaps 1-2k cheaper).

Floret silver looked very nice indeed up close. Also the blue Saloon RS3 and red RS5 looked fantastic. 3 superb colours.

Great pics. Will be impossible to spot a new RS3 Sportback on a quick pass other than the plate.

M2.... I test drove this whilst on my hunt for a fun car.
Loved it. I would have got it 100% except for the fact that I have 3 kids, both parents and a grandparent and getting in the back is HIDEOUS.

If I was single with no other cares then I would have got it. Dynamically and fun wise it slaughters the RS3 to be honest.
On the flipside, the RS3 destroys the M2 on practicality. So, that is the choice you need to make.

If I was by myself and had both cars ready for a Sunday solo drive then I would pick the M2 and put an Akrapovic exhaust on it.

Reactions: Aoon_M
Still not sold on saloon, sorry.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jassyo06 and AudiNutta
Re prices it is £5k more than PFL. I spec'd mine up again at £52k which it most certainly wasn't last time. Who cares anyway, if you have the money do it!

TX.

Reactions: Radman, Jassyo06, Tom_L and 1 other person
Evotion - I know what you mean. I drove an M2 recently and loved it. Reminded me of my old E46 M3. Masses of feel and a RWD is more exciting. Plus the steering was nice too. My S3 has horrible steering, no feel at all. But as you say kids to consider so RS3 is a potential buy. If they have sorted the heavy front end and added some steering feel then it could trump the M2 for me. Interior wise it batters the M2. Looking forward to trying both back to back later this year. Now way I'm ordering an RS3 without driving one though given I'm a bit disappointed with my FL S3 (ordered without a test drive).

I agree terminator, saloon doesn't do it for me either. Sportback looks superb, has same 4 seats and a bigger boot.

I was told dealers getting their cars in Sept by my local dealer. It may be earlier. Just going on what I was told.

The new car is a step up from before and the price hike not quite as bad as I was expecting given they come with more standard kit now. Just configured a car on Audi UK, coming in around £52k OTR. I seem to remember the same spec car pre facelift was very similar money (perhaps 1-2k cheaper).

Floret silver looked very nice indeed up close. Also the blue Saloon RS3 and red RS5 looked fantastic. 3 superb colours.

Fair enough, I'm just going off of what's been posted on the internal newsletter to Audi. It doesn't black and white say demo's, but it says something along the lines of 'Centre Market Introduction' and then customer cars in September.

A decent spec seems to be £52k yes as an allrounder. I can get the car I want for that in a standard colour just without any of the driver assistance packs, which would have been a nice toy to have but there we go.. trying to be sensible.
The big difference is the Tech Pack included, that's saved us £1500 on options even if it is incorporated into the price increase.

That Floret silver RS3 looks the dogs danglies!

Reactions: AudiNutta
If they have sorted the heavy front end and added some steering feel then it could trump the M2 for me. Interior wise it batters the M2. Looking forward to trying both back to back later this year. Now way I'm ordering an RS3 without driving one though

Unfortunately, the design remit means that the Audi will never be as good as the M2 dynamically. It really is for a slightly different market.
You will prefer to sit in the Audi but prefer the feel of the BMW.
Noise wise, the RS3 edges it with the fabulous 5cyl but stick an aftermarket exhaust on the M2 and you will be smiling more.

Let us know how the test ride goes. It might come down to your mind-set at that moment. Practicality might win the day and the RS3 is still a FANTASTIC car... I love it.

Unfortunately, the design remit means that the Audi will never be as good as the M2 dynamically. It really is for a slightly different market.
Noise wise, the RS3 edges it with the fabulous 5cyl but stick an aftermarket exhaust on the M2 and you will be smiling more.

Let us know how the test ride goes. It might come down to your mind-set at that moment. Practicality might win the day and the RS3 is still a FANTASTIC car... I love it.

I agree, it's a tricky decision and one I want to get right. Looking forward to trying both on the same day. For me the RS3 has more of a wow factor and I keep coming back to it. Love the look of it, the interior, the general quality and of course that sound. But to drive the M2 felt more of an event and more alive. M2 interior is a bit disappointing for the money, and two doors may be an issue too. Really looking forward to trying the new RS3 SB. Will decide when I can try both back to back.

Few more photos from the FOS

Attachments

• IMG_6948.JPG
    IMG_6948.JPG
    302.5 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_6949.JPG
    IMG_6949.JPG
    341.5 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_6950.JPG
    IMG_6950.JPG
    347.9 KB · Views: 345
Reactions: Tomplumb
Good photos, thanks for posting. I was always going for Nardo and having seen a few locally, thought I was sold. However, those Floret pics look great as you say with the Black pack.

And it's practicality for me, so Sportback. Looks ace.

Personally, I love that Saloon version. Especially in that colour with those wheels.
I'd still get the Sportback but I need that to chuck my cycle in ....

Similar to that famous blue colour of the original RS2 - which many of you will be too young to remember!

Audi rs21

Wow good to see a floret silver RS3 with Black Pack. I wonder how it looks in Saloon form with black pack too.

Personally, I love that Saloon version. Especially in that colour with those wheels.

Similar to that famous blue colour of the original RS2 - which many of you will be too young to remember!

View attachment 129520

It is the same colour, the Saloon on show is in Exclusive Colour Nogaro. A great colour but not one I would own I don't think, or specify anyway.

Ah , so it is the original colour. Nice.
I disagree - this should be the ONLY colour to get the car in! :)
Especially, if it is exclusive to the RS3 only.

Ah , so it is the original colour. Nice.
I disagree - this should be the ONLY colour to get the car in! :)
Especially, if it is exclusive to the RS3 only.

It is a special colour but I've never been a huge fan of flat colours, I prefer a bit more depth. I doubt Nogaro will ever come back as a standard issue colour, it runs back into the Heritage of Audi Sport.

Looks good although really not a lot different to current one. Don't kill me.

TX.
IMG 20170630 1647094
IMG 20170630 1647388

Reactions: Radman and AudiNutta
odd, the saloon isn't ara blue is it. if so its different from those ive seen on you tube in aussie land. that blue looks flat - pretty sure its not ara blue

agree I like the wheels on the floret solver hback. looks good but would be even better with a pano roof

Evotion - I know what you mean. I drove an M2 recently and loved it. Reminded me of my old E46 M3. Masses of feel and a RWD is more exciting. Plus the steering was nice too. My S3 has horrible steering, no feel at all. But as you say kids to consider so RS3 is a potential buy. If they have sorted the heavy front end and added some steering feel then it could trump the M2 for me. Interior wise it batters the M2. Looking forward to trying both back to back later this year. Now way I'm ordering an RS3 without driving one though given I'm a bit disappointed with my FL S3 (ordered without a test drive).

I agree terminator, saloon doesn't do it for me either. Sportback looks superb, has same 4 seats and a bigger boot.

one of my mates had a new bmw m3 and spend £1000s extra doing it up - wheels, wrap, steering wheel, gear know, exhaust, etc. he just couldn't get on with it in our lovely weather so after only a year got rid and got an M2 instead. Sure its more fun but RWD and uk congestion and weather are not a great mix

Yep agreed.

Gap at front arches is massive for some reason :-/

TX.

Your forgetting how UGLY the M2 is from almost every angle barring the full on rear view, plus the ancient dashboard and the LOW RENT fit interior

Reactions: Tomplumb and AllStar

View attachment 129520

That colour is Nogaro Blue..............on both cars

It is a special colour but I've never been a huge fan of flat colours, I prefer a bit more depth. I doubt Nogaro will ever come back as a standard issue colour, it runs back into the Heritage of Audi Sport.

Its Nogaro Blue Pearl - Its a pearlescent -My wifes RS3 is in this colour, and I think its an awesome choice.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
FL RS3 SB & RS3 saloon looking fab !
Price doesn't matter to me as I ain't got those type of pennies to spend on 1 anyway :(

Your forgetting how UGLY the M2 is from almost every angle barring the full on rear view, plus the ancient dashboard and the LOW RENT fit interior
@jassyo06 - I'd still have 1 tho' :p :D
Its Nogaro Blue Pearl - Its a pearlescent -My wifes RS3 is in this colour, and I think its an awesome choice.
^ All time classic Audi-Sport colour IMHO

Well, I'd definitely spec a new RS3 in the Nagaro if it was available.
If the missus likes the one we just bought then perhaps we will move to the new model next year once some value has built in.
New A45 comes out though so that might be a contender - too early to tell.

No, I never mentioned its looks or interior.
I would say the Audi has it covered on interior but I still like the BMW one overall - not a bad place to be really. Could do a lot worse.
That from me, a Bentley owner with an inside so fabulous you actually don't want to get out.

Looks wise - I LOVE the M2 - reminds me of the Integrale. Large flared arches are just my thing - always have been.
I'd like an M2 and DTM it as a track car only.

A bentley owner, did you say bentley omg

Ouch :-D :-D But then this is an Audi forum lol

Reactions: Jassyo06 and AudiNutta
Few more photos from the FOS
I must say that I do like the new more angular front grill. And that blue colour with the black OMFG.
Would be getting the saloon if I wasn't buying a PFL hatch back next week. And if I had an extra 15k or so! Ha! Well done to the lucky people ordering the FL; going to be fantastic car I'm sure.

I've got to say, I'm not impressed with the look of the Saloon in the OP's pics. I think it comes down to the alloys. The Saloon alloys look hideous, yet you can't spec the SP's wheels on the Saloon.

Never thought I'd say this, but I'm thinking a SP instead of a Saloon now. Just specced a SP up on Audi configurator, and in Daytona with Aluminium pack, and Titanium style alloys. Look really nice. Would like to see the Saloon with the SP's alloys on.

ha ha .......... the floret silver sportback looks EXACTLY like mine from that angle except for roof bars & slightly different lights :)

IMG 2108

FOS   1 1

Reactions: dno_uk
Sound wise very different....

I've heard that too. Some of the pops and bangs have gone apparently. It's a little more subdued than the current car according to some reviews.

Why Audi, why would you do that ??!

ha ha .......... the floret silver sportback looks EXACTLY like mine from that angle except for roof bars & slightly different lights :)

View attachment 129755

View attachment 129756

Indeed.

PFL front lights looks much better than the FL though. New ones reminds me of Lexus lights.

New lower bumper and grille though, would love to have those with the PFL headlights :)

Might be going against the grain but for me both are totally underwhelming, they look neat and all but RS material? The side view of the saloon looks like a car that has had bigger alloys fitted and therefore needed a very low profile tyre, still doesn't fill the wheel arches!

Now I am a fan of subtle but for £50k I would want a similar stance to the previous couple of gen RS4s...............Audi ain't getting my wedge. Lets hope the next gen follows the styling cues of the more muscular RSns (look at the tail of the red RS6 in the photos). Shame because I so wanted to love the looks to go alongside the engine, the next RS4 will look better but has a more mainstream engine config.

For those of you buying I am sure you will love it.