Google Earth/Satellite Maps

all up and running with Google Maps once again. Thanks to Congo.
Hi Phil.
Pleased to see you’ve finally got it sorted, particularly since my system spec was/is identical to yours. I too sort of gave up in early 2021, and then had a bit of a cancer problem for the next 18 months. All sorted now and, encouraged by your efforts, I am contacting Audi-MIB this evening. Fingers crossed & Happy New Year.

Hi Phil.
Pleased to see you’ve finally got it sorted, particularly since my system spec was/is identical to yours. I too sort of gave up in early 2021, and then had a bit of a cancer problem for the next 18 months. All sorted now and, encouraged by your efforts, I am contacting Audi-MIB this evening. Fingers crossed & Happy New Year.
Pleased I finally did it. Hope you are all fully recovered and it is an easy and quick fix. Took me a few efforts to get into engineering mode but not sure why.

Do you need Audi connect subscription? And what does Congo charge?
Mine still has the firmware that still shows Google map option in the satnav

Hi, No Audi Connect service required, I have not had a valid connect licence for two years and the Flash works just fine without it. Congo charged 150euro

Not as far as I am aware as there is no sim in my sim slot (S4 B9) Everything is as it was when I got the car just the Connect service is no longer paid for. But the maps still work.

I think it depends on what MMI you have, I've got the older 3G High with Connect, it's got a sim slot and needs a valid data card for the fix to work. IIRC it cost about £75 for Congo's patch for the older systems and the Three 'Internet With Legs' sim is about £15 PA.

I have a 2018 A4 B9.
My vehicle is A4 Avant B9 MY2017.
Congo has sent me detailed instructions for extracting the system info onto an SD card and zipping to him, which I have yet to do.
My understanding is, after this, and subject to payment, he will send back a system update script for my vehicle.
Cost is up to €180 depending on complexity. All other functionality apparently unaffected and no mention of Connect licence (though I have one).
If you search this site, and also A5OC.com, there are a number of endorsements for this fix. Haven't seen any negative comment.
You can find him at www.audi-mib.bg.

Reactions: QuattroPhilG
My vehicle is A4 Avant B9 MY2017.
Congo has sent me detailed instructions for extracting the system info onto an SD card and zipping to him, which I have yet to do.
My understanding is, after this, and subject to payment, he will send back a system update script for my vehicle.
Cost is up to €180 depending on complexity. All other functionality apparently unaffected and no mention of Connect licence (though I have one).
If you search this site, and also A5OC.com, there are a number of endorsements for this fix. Haven't seen any negative comment.
You can find him at www.audi-mib.bg.
Also SIM card not mentioned.

Google Earth up & running again!!
Takes a few secs to initialise each time, and starts with conventional map display rather than the Earth logo. But once Google kicks in it’s just as it was before. Absolutely brilliant.

Attachments

• D5A9CCB5-E18C-4402-B614-818C74078284.jpeg
    D5A9CCB5-E18C-4402-B614-818C74078284.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 196
Yes, Congo sent through the patch to me to install and then once I had it up and running I sent the funds. Very trusting fellow he asks for payment after supplying the patch.
Hi Phil.
Agreed. Very trusting chap and also very efficient. Meant to ask. Did you get the Google Earth intro screen back with your fix? (Attached).

Attachments

• A12FE27D-4DA0-4000-8077-1FF4CE7AEFA1.jpeg
    A12FE27D-4DA0-4000-8077-1FF4CE7AEFA1.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 175
Oh, not to sure to be honest. Mine is set to Google Maps view in the MMI and when I start the car it displays the standard map until it generates the Google view. I wonder it I come out of Google view and then put it back from standard view it might reload like that.

Oh, not to sure to be honest. Mine is set to Google Maps view in the MMI and when I start the car it displays the standard map until it generates the Google view. I wonder it I come out of Google view and then put it back from standard view it might reload like that.
Tried that but no change. MMI takes about 10s to initialise on start up. After that, instead of the Google Earth pic, the standard map display appears. After another 30s or so Google kicks in. A tad disappointing but no big deal. Still very pleased & much thanks to Congo.

Tried that but no change. MMI takes about 10s to initialise on start up. After that, instead of the Google Earth pic, the standard map display appears. After another 30s or so Google kicks in. A tad disappointing but no big deal. Still very pleased & much thanks to Congo.
That is exactly what mine does. I wonder if it is because it is not going through the official Audi connect route so does not show the licenced splash screeen. Only a thought though.

That is exactly what mine does. I wonder if it is because it is not going through the official Audi connect route so does not show the licenced splash screeen. Only a thought though.
Think you’re probably correct. When Congo asked whether all had gone well I said yes, apart from a missing logo. He asked which one as all should be as it was before 2020. I sent him the Earth pic & have heard nothing. So I’m guessing that you are right and it’s beyond even his capabilities. Though as I said, it’s not a biggy & just glad to have it back again.

Think you’re probably correct. When Congo asked whether all had gone well I said yes, apart from a missing logo. He asked which one as all should be as it was before 2020. I sent him the Earth pic & have heard nothing. So I’m guessing that you are right and it’s beyond even his capabilities. Though as I said, it’s not a biggy & just glad to have it back again.
Agreed.

I’ve just reached out to Congo and I’m told I need to establish a data connection first via SIM card or wifi. Could hotspot but you then end up having to open your phone each time for the mmi to connect.

I’ve just reached out to Congo and I’m told I need to establish a data connection first via SIM card or wifi. Could hotspot but you then end up having to open your phone each time for the mmi to connect.
Think this is dependant of the age of your car, my car (June 16) was one of the first of the new MY17, part of the 17 changes was to have an embedded e-sim built into the MMI. The b9s before this you needed to obtain your own physical sim to make any data services work.

I was one of the first to use Congo's fix, and it's still working without issue. I do have Audi connect service as well for the traffic, but as far as I am aware, I think it would work without, I don't think Audi charge for the sim connection as such, just when you take out the additional services through connect. I think they would have envisaged that by design it would only work exclusively with their paid connect services anyway, so handle charging through that. leaving the sim constantly active

Have a A3 Sline 2016 model with virtual cockpit. Bought 10 days ago or so.
Keen to get Google maps running on virtual cockpit if possible.
Just read through this thread and my head hurts.

Need to go and have a play and figure out if my setup can actually take Google maps with, or without, Congo's fix.

Seems that Congo is the only way of getting Google Maps on the virtual cockpit on a 2016 A3.

Be back in a few hours once I've had a play.

+1 for the Congo solution; great to have Google Earth back - much better than the Maxar alternative having had a loan car with that installed. Painless process.

Yeah just drop Congo a message. He will talk you through it step by step. And only request payment once you've seen it working and happy with the outcome.

Once all complete that's it really. It works like new and you just forget about it

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk