Google Earth/Satellite Maps

yes, lots and lots of confusion ... i'm getting the general feeling that Google have pulled the rug from under Audi's feet without a lot of warning and Audi and still trying to decide/develop a solution!? .. I am very hopeful for some sort of replacement Satellite view mapping service, Virtual Cockpit is not that impressive with block colour standard mapping :(

This issue has been known about for around two years.

The replacement is welcome but I preferred the Google overlay

Indeed, but when we come out of it am more than happy to apply the fix for you to test as I believe it would work. Am an authorised VW group services provider.
DJAlix.
Leicester is do-able for me if you can help at all. I have emailed your business.

Hello All

I have been following this thread with much interest, and just wanted to share my experience.

I have a MY17 A4 B9 Avant. Around the beginning of Dec 20, I noticed that my GE overlay was beginning to smudge / blur, as noted by many others on this forum, and which I assumed was due to the ending of GE for some of the models within the platform. Around the middle of Dec 20, I also noticed that my GE wouldn’t load – again, as noted by many others.

Following on from this, I sent an email to Audi Digital Services. In it, I explained the issues I was having, and what I understood to be the cause of these issues, ie the demise of GE. I also asked whether there is an update available, and whether my vehicle was eligible. They replied (albeit a week later) confirming all that I had mentioned in my email to them. They mentioned that there is a replacement service, Audi Connect ‘Satellite Map’, which can be downloaded via a free software update and reactivated at your local Audi Partner; furthermore, my vehicle was eligible for the update.

I booked the vehicle in at my local dealer, and forwarded them the email, just to ensure they understood what I was looking to achieve (ie the software update, as opposed to a map update). However, when I dropped the vehicle off on the day, the Service advisor thanked me for the email trail, as they were unaware of the update, and had to liaise extensively with the Digital Services team to ensure they had the right information for the update.

Having collected my car, I can confirm that the update does work, and importantly, it was FOC. It is not the same as the previous GE, but there is a satellite imagery overlay, which is what I was seeking!

In summary, there is an update available (but which is model dependent), and which is free of charge. It would appear that the dealers do not necessarily have the information for the update, and that they should liaise with Audi Digital Services for the update.

I hope that this helps, and is of use to others to have their vehicle updated.

Reactions: Petrol Head and Mr Olympik
Hello All

I have been following this thread with much interest, and just wanted to share my experience.

I have a MY17 A4 B9 Avant. Around the beginning of Dec 20, I noticed that my GE overlay was beginning to smudge / blur, as noted by many others on this forum, and which I assumed was due to the ending of GE for some of the models within the platform. Around the middle of Dec 20, I also noticed that my GE wouldn’t load – again, as noted by many others.

Following on from this, I sent an email to Audi Digital Services. In it, I explained the issues I was having, and what I understood to be the cause of these issues, ie the demise of GE. I also asked whether there is an update available, and whether my vehicle was eligible. They replied (albeit a week later) confirming all that I had mentioned in my email to them. They mentioned that there is a replacement service, Audi Connect ‘Satellite Map’, which can be downloaded via a free software update and reactivated at your local Audi Partner; furthermore, my vehicle was eligible for the update.

I booked the vehicle in at my local dealer, and forwarded them the email, just to ensure they understood what I was looking to achieve (ie the software update, as opposed to a map update). However, when I dropped the vehicle off on the day, the Service advisor thanked me for the email trail, as they were unaware of the update, and had to liaise extensively with the Digital Services team to ensure they had the right information for the update.

Having collected my car, I can confirm that the update does work, and importantly, it was FOC. It is not the same as the previous GE, but there is a satellite imagery overlay, which is what I was seeking!

In summary, there is an update available (but which is model dependent), and which is free of charge. It would appear that the dealers do not necessarily have the information for the update, and that they should liaise with Audi Digital Services for the update.

Sounds promising.
Are you still within warranty/extended warranty period?
I'd like to think its a free update but as I'm out of warranty on my 17 s4 avant I reckon I'll at least get billed for the 'labour' ?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Sounds promising.
Are you still within warranty/extended warranty period?
I'd like to think its a free update but as I'm out of warranty on my 17 s4 avant I reckon I'll at least get billed for the 'labour' ?

I do have a warranty, but it is non-Audi. The response from Audi Digital Services made no mention of whether the car was under warranty, and I did not contact my provider for any warranty work.

When I booked the car in for the update, I just made sure that they had sight of the email that said it was FOC. I was also wondering whether there might have been a labour charge, but as it turned out, there was no charge for either the software update, or the labour.

I do have a warranty, but it is non-Audi. The response from Audi Digital Services made no mention of whether the car was under warranty, and I did not contact my provider for any warranty work.

When I booked the car in for the update, I just made sure that they had sight of the email that said it was FOC. I was also wondering whether there might have been a labour charge, but as it turned out, there was no charge for either the software update, or the labour.
Thats a bonus, which Audi dealership was this with of you don't mind?

Just reading back through this whole thread, the level of disconnect at all levels of Audi services doesn't fill me with confidence that it'll be a FOC visit, but I'll certainly go with your case as ammo.

Glad you're sorted

My local dealer is Shrewsbury.

As I said, the dealer didn't appear to have the info from Audi Digital, so possibly not entirely their fault, but a level of disconnect as you have mentioned.

I am more than happy to provide the email response from Audi Digital, if that can help you to get yours sorted.

My local dealer is Shrewsbury.

As I said, the dealer didn't appear to have the info from Audi Digital, so possibly not entirely their fault, but a level of disconnect as you have mentioned.

I am more than happy to provide the email response from Audi Digital, if that can help you to get yours sorted.
Yea that would be good.
I'm in Herefordshire so if the local Audi dealer here proves difficult I may actually just drive up to Shrewsbury (when restrictions allow)

Hello All

@biggaz76
Your post is extremely interesting as I too have a MY17 A4 B9 Avant, which my dealer says is not eligible. However, I am not convinced Audi have got their act together. Do you know your vehicle build date?

@Mivi49, from my VIN sticker, my build date is 03/17. However, I think there is more to it than that, as I believe it is more to do with the chip inside the MIB. Basically, models with the Nvidia chip cannot be updated, however those with a QualComm can. This is discussed in great detail on the American Audiworld forums.
Another way to check is by looking at your software version, under system maintenance. Against media driver, it reads CLU7_MMX2QC... I think it is this 'Q' that identifies the type of chip, and so whether you are eligible for the update.

I hope that helps.

@biggaz76
Thanks for that. I’ve done a little checking and, alas, I think I must have Nvidia. My build date is Aug/16 and the media driver is
CLU6_MMX2_AU_ER_G22_306PROD-1.
So either swap chips, buy a new vehicle or do without!!
Thanks for you help & have a healthy year.

@Mivi49
Sorry to hear that - you could also consider using android auto / Carplay, if these might be an option?

Stay safe, and a healthy new year to you also.

@Mivi49
Sorry to hear that - you could also consider using android auto / Carplay, if these might be an option?

Stay safe, and a healthy new year to you also.
@biggaz76
Many thanks. Android is an option, but I have enough problems with my iphone already.
I’ll think about it though.
Going to look for processor upgrades now!
Regards.

@k77, I have started a conversation with you, just in case you have missed it.

Reactions: k77
Hi All,
I’m new to the whole google earth upgrade replacement , however like most lost the ability to use Google Earth and expiry was 31st Dec.
I’ve contact my local dealership about the upgrade which they were aware of as well as happy to check my car , I have had confirmation my car is upgradeable, just thought I would let you know it’s an a5 2017 just to help anyone who’s trying to gauge if their car is also eligible. There was no mention of a charge , I do have Audi approved used . I’ll let you know the outcome once I’ve taken it in which is this Monday .

Reactions: tickedon
My S4 B9 is booked in for a service and hopefully software update on Monda , which I am assured by Audi Digital Services (after checking my VIN) is compatible. They said that you need to mention Audi Satellite Map update, which they should be aware of, however if they are not aware get them to phone directly through to Digital Service while you are there. That is what I have been told by Digital Services so might be helpful to all affected.

My S4 B9 is booked in for a service and hopefully software update on Monda , which I am assured by Audi Digital Services (after checking my VIN) is compatible. They said that you need to mention Audi Satellite Map update, which they should be aware of, however if they are not aware get them to phone directly through to Digital Service while you are there. That is what I have been told by Digital Services so might be helpful to all affected.
@QuattroPhilG,
Interested to hear how you get on. I have same code versions as you but Audio Digital CS have said my vehicle cannot be updated based on VIN. Who is your dealer?

My dealer is Audi West London. I will see what they come up with. Not that confident at the moment. I have however checked twice with Audi DS with my VIN and they assure me it is updatable.

Ah just pm you then saw this
All your specs are the same as mine...just collected mine and the update hasn't worked. But to be honest they didn't seem to know what they were doing.
They said it had all gone OK but it still wasn't loading, they thought it could be it wanted me to log in to audi connect again, did think that sounded weird and alas it's made no difference.

I can see the mmi software version has increased, but I see no reference to the generic "satellite map" in the menu. Infact...it still says this, surely that can't be right? Can anyone confirm who has had it done?

1520f2a1e8bf40d30043a385084cd9ef.jpg

Just to let everyone know, I’ve had my Nov 2017 S5 updated today, now shows satellite map as an option, map,display is now back, not had a full look at it, not quite as ‘vivid’ as google map overlay.

Ah just pm you then saw this
All your specs are the same as mine...just collected mine and the update hasn't worked. But to be honest they didn't seem to know what they were doing.
They said it had all gone OK but it still wasn't loading, they thought it could be it wanted me to log in to audi connect again, did think that sounded weird and alas it's made no difference.

I can see the mmi software version has increased, but I see no reference to the generic "satellite map" in the menu. Infact...it still says this, surely that can't be right? Can anyone confirm who has had it done?

1520f2a1e8bf40d30043a385084cd9ef.jpg

IIRC the 'status bar' under the word Google is no longer displayed with the new software (I read elsewhere it uses a cache more to save data use)

Is the overlay still working and if so does it show a horizon when you zoom out?

No, still not working since it first went down...that loading bar takes ages and then just times out....
Thanks for everyone's inputs....exactly what I thought it shouldn't still be referencing Google in the menus.
Will speak to the dealer on Monday....I'm hoping it's just a case of them applying the "wrong" update with the mmi software now being significantly higher

Yes, I do have a change to the view and the sky etc....but I actually think this is unrelated to the Google change...I've had a lot of issues in my ownership (dealers not the car) so had a lot of courtesy cars from the Audi range. Some as long as 3months, and they all had that updated view, even going back to 2018.
So I think it's more likely a coincidence this change is applied at the same time as part of wider updates to the mmi, which makes sense as I have the latest version now but no satellite

Last edited:
No status bar anymore, satellite images seem darker now

Well had my car back on Monday . Happy to say all went without any issues. Free of charge also. Satellite map seems far sharper imagery than the google earth it’s replaced in the vc anyway. As for the disclaimer I did notice that it changes slightly from 2 - 3 lines. Also happened to notice the google logo around the right hand corner which leads me to believe their still using google data but their own imagery. All in all pleased that I have my satellite view back . As with any update I was hoping for a few bug fixes one of which is why radio text has to be selected every time you switch back on the ignition unfortunately it didn’t, so not sure if it fixes anything else .

Reactions: QuattroPhilG and Buck
Well had my car back on Monday . Happy to say all went without any issues. Free of charge also. Satellite map seems far sharper imagery than the google earth it’s replaced in the vc anyway. As for the disclaimer I did notice that it changes slightly from 2 - 3 lines. Also happened to notice the google logo around the right hand corner which leads me to believe their still using google data but their own imagery. All in all pleased that I have my satellite view back . As with any update I was hoping for a few bug fixes one of which is why radio text has to be selected every time you switch back on the ignition unfortunately it didn’t, so not sure if it fixes anything else .
What was the age of your car, mine is still at the dealers having a service and they are also trying to work out with Audi CS if there is an update for my S4 build late 2016 MY17 car.

What was the age of your car, mine is still at the dealers having a service and they are also trying to work out with Audi CS if there is an update for my S4 build late 2016 MY17 car.
I would be interested too as my car is the same..

I've been watching this thread for a while as well. I have an Q5 2017 and I rang Audi digital services and they say maps won't work on my Audi yet my dealership says it's possible that it will work? I have been told I have an update available for my car but I will have to wait and find out. Booked in for Mid Feb. My dealership knew about it so maybe it is being rolled out by now?

Interested to know how others have now got on?

Last edited:
Reactions: cuke2u
Yesterday I inquired Audi about the MMI update and they did not seem what I am talking about but promised to check. Today called back and said that no MMI update for my car exists. Its is B9 MY18 with top MMI version but with Audi Sound System. Could it be that besides MMI versions there are country specific differences in the update offers? I am in Poland.
Curiously, I was told that on Dec 18 there was recall published for the engine controller update for my car. It is 2.0 petrol 190HP. 6-speed if it matters.

Yes my dealership has also stated there is a ecu update, it's not a recall though as it isn't a safety issue. Just a TSB..

Right, no safety issue. Wrong wording. Curious what it will do.

Okay .. the plot thickens. Because I was not happy with the nay sayers at Audi Digital Customer services, I have just spoken with my local Dealership (Shirley, Birmingham) and as it turns out my 2016 A4 is applicable for the new Mapping update and I have just booked in to have the works done next Tuesday.

Apparently the work should take approx 2hrs, and would normally cost £60 but as I have an extended warranty its all FOC.

Awesome!

Reactions: Empire
Okay .. the plot thickens. Because I was not happy with the nay sayers at Audi Digital Customer services, I have just spoken with my local Dealership (Shirley, Birmingham) and as it turns out my 2016 A4 is applicable for the new Mapping update and I have just booked in to have the works done next Tuesday.

Apparently the work should take approx 2hrs, and would normally cost £60 but as I have an extended warranty its all FOC.

Awesome!
My S4 16 plate (Dec 16) with Virtual Cockpit has been at Audi West London since last Monday(9 days) awaiting a warranty repair of the handbrake and also the Nav update, however they are still going back and forward with Audi Digital even though I was assured on 3 occasions that my car IS compatible for the update. To be honest I am not sure if either party has any idea as to what is going on with the Google Earth situation. Any other updates from anybody might help.

Despite Audi digital telling me it will work, Cardiff Audi cancelled my appointment for a fix tomorrow because they don’t think the fix will work !
Until I brought the fix to Cardiffs attention they were insistent that there wasn’t a fix available and by their own omission they haven’t done this fix to any other cars yet ! I don’t think they actually know what day of the week it is ! very frustrating that they’re not even going to try with my car !!!!
My S4 is an early one, a 2017 66plate

Despite Audi digital telling me it will work, Cardiff Audi cancelled my appointment for a fix tomorrow because they don’t think the fix will work !
Until I brought the fix to Cardiffs attention they were insistent that there wasn’t a fix available and by their own omission they haven’t done this fix to any other cars yet ! I don’t think they actually know what day of the week it is ! very frustrating that they’re not even going to try with my car !!!!
My S4 is an early one, a 2017 66plate
Same car and age as mine then. I am not confident about my car as they are still in communication with Audi Digital, they even rang them to check and they are now emailing them but Audi Digital have yet to respond. I am not entirely convinced that Audi Digital know exactly what the requirements are for new update to work. From my VIN number they say it is possible however perhaps they need more info from the installed MMI version to confirm. Who knows.

Was in earlier this week (Tuesday) for the update to be installed on my A3 and have
Google Earth back on the Virtual Cockpit

It is not as good as it was. It’s not as bold and the maximum zoom (30yd) isn’t as clear as it was before.

I’m glad I got it done, didn’t cost anything but it’s definitely an inferior version.

Audi called me yesterday on a follow up to see how it went. Mentioned what I’ve said about about it not being as good now and they said a lot are saying the same.

Either this year or next I’ll be getting a new car. Was looking at an A5 or Q5 but unless Google Earth is on the virtual cockpit I’ll probably now look elsewhere.

I’ve just had the update, and I thought the images where clearer, may be my imagination but they seem to get better over a few days, not great when they are in dark mode ( cars lights on ). What other manufacturers use google earth type image mapping.