Great Driving Roads

Potterswheel

S3 Compact Limo
Reaction score
A4069 the Black mountain road, used by all the motoring programs especially Top Gear

A4069 black mountain

A4069 sp
Fantastic drive if you get clear road and no ice cream vans

Reactions: Marky79
A537 Buxton to Macclesfield road
A537 bux macc

Known locally as the Cat and Fiddle, Michelin and BF Goodrich used this road in an add campaign " fun is not a straight line" then had to rescind it !!! woke ..................
Average speed cameras all the way , but there are plenty of places to stop !
Cat and fiddle
This is a great road in good weather, and if you get a clear run without ice cream vans. Loads of bikers also use it if you just want to listen.

A696 and A68, Tyneside to Edinburgh via Jedburgh.

Reactions: A4B9, Marky79, Sandra and 1 other person
A708 Moffat - Selkirk (St Mary’s loch)

cracking chippy’s at both ends and a cafe half way. road Surface gets a bit worn nearer Selkirk, middle bit is a joy though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinky1959, SiPie and Potterswheel
A696 and A68, Tyneside to Edinburgh via Jedburgh.
in a previous life I’d drive that every day in a 44ton artic.. fair pull getting up to Carter bar. I came via the A6088 though.

Reactions: Potterswheel and jdp1962
in a previous life I’d drive that every day in a 44ton artic.. fair pull getting up to Carter bar. I came via the A6088 though.
I first drove it in 1980, aged 18, in a 1967 Vauxhall Viva HB. Setting off from Chester-le-Street at 10.30 on a Sunday morning, I pulled into a car park by George Square in Edinburgh at exactly 1.00pm. 125 miles in two and a half hours: not bad for 49 bhp. Im not sure I could match that time today, with 300 more bhp and quattro.

Reactions: Marky79 and Potterswheel
Spean Bridge to Newtonmore.
It's been a few years since I've driven this road, so it might be 20mph, full of speed bumps,traffic cameras etc. lol.... but with it's open, sweeping curves that you can see for miles a truely engaging driving experience with the majestic Scottish scenery. Beautiful.
57.08577126308396, -4.466882744455311

Reactions: NWHighlander, Sandra and Potterswheel
@S32B wrote

Just did this, some great roads and lovely views, hardly any cars on it either!

Its called the "Evo Triangle"

This is the route with a few pics of the views:

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

1.jpg

Reactions: SCC9, Sandra and Alistair D
@S32B wrote

Just did this, some great roads and lovely views, hardly any cars on it either!

Its called the "Evo Triangle"

This is the route with a few pics of the views:

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

1.jpg
lol 7 years since I posted that!!!

Reactions: Potterswheel and Sandra
Evo triangle has 50mph average speed cameras now. Which is kinda good and bad, you can enjoy the scenery more, but you worry about getting caught. There's better roads than the triangle itself in the general area, but there's also a general unwritten rule amongst locals not to tell people where these roads are, because we don't want more 50mph average speed cameras blotting the area. The triangle was ruined by people coming up from London etc and doing timed run triple figures round it for social media status.
Took this there last July
X7h2tnx.jpg

Reactions: Potterswheel
I first drove it in 1980, aged 18, in a 1967 Vauxhall Viva HB. Setting off from Chester-le-Street at 10.30 on a Sunday morning, I pulled into a car park by George Square in Edinburgh at exactly 1.00pm. 125 miles in two and a half hours: not bad for 49 bhp. Im not sure I could match that time today, with 300 more bhp and quattro.
Last year, I moved to Northumberland, and now live within ten minutes of Ponteland, where the A696 start its glorious run northwards towards the A68 and the border. I haven't yet done the whole route to Edinburgh in one go, but have done several runs up to the border. It's busier than I remember it from 1980, (naturally - eveywhere is) and yes there is a fair bit of speed camera intrusion, but the essence of what makes the road great - the dips, curves, swoops, sight-lines and amazing scenery is just as it was when I was a teenage hooligan as opposed to a saga lout.

That said, as of this weekend just passed, I think I have a new favourite. It's only about twenty miles, but the A686 between Penrith and Alston, will take your breath away (literally, if you try cycling it as I saw a few folks tryingt to do yesterday).

Last edited:
I have done this a couple of times, great road - you don't mention the steepness and the hairpins!!!!!

Reactions: jdp1962
I have done this a couple of times, great road - you don't mention the steepness and the hairpins!!!!!
You’re right; I didn’t which was rather remiss of me . I also didn’t mention the crashed and abandoned Fiesta in a field beside the road, nor the young man running up and down the road picking up the bits that he’d broken off his Honda Civic I suspect only minutes earlier. It was parked on the edge of one of the bends looking very sorry for itself.

Last year, I moved to Northumberland, and now live within ten minutes of Ponteland, where the A696 start its glorious run northwards towards the A68 and the border. I haven't yet done the whole route to Edinburgh in one go, but have done several runs up to the border. It's busier than I remember it from 1980, (naturally - eveywhere is) and yes there is a fair bit of speed camera intrusion, but the essence of what makes the road great - the dips, curves, swoops, sight-lines and amazing scenery is just as it was when I was a teenage hooligan as opposed to a saga lout.

That said, as of this weekend just passed, I think I have a new favourite. It's only about twenty miles, but the A686 between Penrith and Alston, will take your breath away (literally, if you try cycling it as I saw a few folks tryingt to do yesterday).

View attachment 274597

From Alston, carry on towards Middleton-in-Teesdale. Turn round, and do it all again on the way back !