Grill surround removal Audi A3 8V

Dave8V

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2014 Audi A3 8V. I'm looking at de-chroming the grill surround I was wondering whether anyone knew how and if it was possible to remove the chrome surround and then replace it with a black version or wrap it similar to the black optics pack.

Is it clipped into place or something more permanent? If anyone has any light on how it is secured and how to remove it that would be great.

I understand that the front bumper will need to come off to then allow removal of the grill assembly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hi,

I have a 2014 Audi A3 8V. I'm looking at de-chroming the grill surround I was wondering whether anyone knew how and if it was possible to remove the chrome surround and then replace it with a black version or wrap it similar to the black optics pack.

Is it clipped into place or something more permanent? If anyone has any light on how it is secured and how to remove it that would be great.

I understand that the front bumper will need to come off to then allow removal of the grill assembly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Buy a full new grill.... RS style

It's a full bumper off job unfortunately. I wrapped mine in gloss black whilst still on the car. Slightly fiddly, but the lesser of two evils.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

It's a full bumper off job unfortunately. I wrapped mine in gloss black whilst still on the car. Slightly fiddly, but the lesser of two evils.

Thanks for the reply. When you say full bumper off is it possible to separate the chrome from the grill is it just clipped? How difficult is a full bumper off, I've seen mixed messages some saying it's difficult some saying it's not to bad?

Wrapping was one of my options but didn't know how good a finish I'd be able to get. Did you go for a whole piece at once or a strip to curve around the whole grill surround?

Thanks,

Buy a full new grill.... RS style

I'd be tempted to go for a full new grill but I've got ACC so finding a de-chromed ACC grill is a challenge! Same problem with an RS grill there aren't many about!

Thanks!

Reactions: Jassyo06
Thanks for the reply. When you say full bumper off is it possible to separate the chrome from the grill is it just clipped? How difficult is a full bumper off, I've seen mixed messages some saying it's difficult some saying it's not to bad?

Wrapping was one of my options but didn't know how good a finish I'd be able to get. Did you go for a whole piece at once or a strip to curve around the whole grill surround?

Thanks,
Once I realised it was a whole bumper off job, I immediately abandoned that option. Too technical for me. Someone with elsawin will be able to share diagrams etc on how it's done.

Ref my experience. I went to a local sign writer and bought an off cut of gloss black vinyl (approx 1m2) I watched a few wrapping videos on YouTube and proceeded to the driveway armed with the wife's hairdryer (heat makes a massive difference). I used one large piece, cut out the centre and worked my way around. It's surprisingly easy to work with. I used masking tape to hold the edges in place on lower bumper and upper bonnet.

Make sure the chrome is super clean first. Worst case scenario, you botch it up and need to spend another tenner on some more vinyl.

Mine lasted 3yrs and 124k miles. Other than a few tiny stone chips it was as good as new after all that.

Reactions: azibux1
Yes, the chrome surround just unclips but there are lots of them ......

Temp 6

:yellowrs4::blackrs4:If the bumper is anything like the one i have on my 8p 57 plate S3 it is an easy peasey i am sure there a video on you tube showing you how the bumper is removed and then there is a few main clips which hold the grille in place then the hard work begins taken each indivdual clip out for the chrome on your own head be it .

Reactions: Rob2k68
Thanks a lot for your help guys think I've got it figured! Gone for the option of getting a black gloss surround now as I found one super cheap so attempting it next weekend!

The other thing is wrapping the chrome on the window surrounds. I'm planning on doing it in situe but is there an easy way to remove the chrome under the windows on the doors? If it's easy to remove thought it may be worth removing it and wrapping separately or is it a full door card off job?

Thanks for all your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks a lot for your help guys think I've got it figured! Gone for the option of getting a black gloss surround now as I found one super cheap so attempting it next weekend!

The other thing is wrapping the chrome on the window surrounds. I'm planning on doing it in situe but is there an easy way to remove the chrome under the windows on the doors? If it's easy to remove thought it may be worth removing it and wrapping separately or is it a full door card off job?

Thanks for all your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can't answer your question exactly... But I took all 4 door cards off in one day the other weekend to wrap the trim piece inserts. Very easy job and no fiddly small clips to break - it's all 'holes' in the door card and big metal 'pins' built into the metal of the door