Grinding Noise - Start/Stop

I

Ignition1

Hi All

Started to notice this a little more recently. Not sure if it's because my driving style has changed a bit, or there is a fault.

Here's a typical situation where the issues happens - pull up at a traffic light, stop/start kicks in, as soon as it does the lights go amber so I attempt to drive off. I find there is no power at all and a horrible grinding sound - from the gearbox maybe? I take my foot off the pedal, let the engine start up correctly then proceed as normal.

I don't feel like it's a fault. I actually feel like it's a characteristic of stop/start - if I catch it "off guard" then it fails on me. Anyone else had this issue?

It's part of the "Premium Product" experience :p

Reactions: Kondax, Blackwhite, Snibo and 1 other person
Anyway.

No. On the occasions when I have S/S enabled, as soon as I release the brake pressure, the engine turns over, starts, and then the clutches take up and provide drive. There is a perceptible delay between then engine starting and the clutches taking up.

(as a tangent, if you start the engine with the key, it takes about 2 to 3 revolutions to start, but if you start the engine by releasing brake pressure and S/S starts the engine, it takes less revolutions to start)

Anyway.

No. On the occasions when I have S/S enabled, as soon as I release the brake pressure, the engine turns over, starts, and then the clutches take up and provide drive. There is a perceptible delay between then engine starting and the clutches taking up.

(as a tangent, if you start the engine with the key, it takes about 2 to 3 revolutions to start, but if you start the engine by releasing brake pressure and S/S starts the engine, it takes less revolutions to start)

See I've found the problem in that "perceptible delay" - i.e. the engine has just enabled S/S, and within a split second of it switching off the engine I've released brake pressure and attempted to drive away - that's when the noise happens (sometimes). It's like the engine hasn't been able to switch back on again quick enough.

You're not driving it right :D

(but I will deliberately "rush" the process later today to see what I find)

I'm probably being impatient - but because S/S kicks in so quickly, I've stopped at a red light only for it turn green within a second. That's when it happens.

In the Watford area the lights have sensors. So if there is no traffic from one direction it'll keep the busiest lanes green until a car turns up at the red light, where it'll then change. Unfortunately the time it takes to detect the car, then turn green, is enough time for S/S to start to switch the engine off but not enough time to finish the process.

Well I'm pretty sure I've been in the same scenarios, off and on quickly, but not heard a grinding noise.

I will try again later.

It must be that your particular "Premium Product" isn't err, "Premium", or its broken :p

Reactions: Ignition1
Well I'm pretty sure I've been in the same scenarios, off and on quickly, but not heard a grinding noise.

I will try again later.

It must be that your particular "Premium Product" isn't err, "Premium", or its broken :p

Whatever! Excuse me while I go for a stroll in my Boss flip flops, spitting on any Astras I see.

Reactions: veeeight
Had the hesitation but no grinding noise, I personally would take it to Audi for them to investigate, my S3 is in next week as on occassion it decides that it doesn't want to do smooth gear changes it wants to slam the gear in causing the car to physically shake, as V8 said all apart of the premium experience!

Reactions: veeeight
Right. It appears your Premium car has a Premium fault.

I've done this several times this morning, "rushed" the S/S - as soon as it stops I lift off the brake and accelerate away.

It lurches :D

But no grinding noise.

(the system won't allow the clutches to take up, without the engine fully started - there is still a perceptible delay/hesitation)

tion
on occassion it decides that it doesn't want to do smooth gear changes it wants to slam the gear in causing the car to physically shake, as V8 said all apart of the premium experience!

If you do the into "P" - ignition key out - restart does it cure it for the rest of that journey?

Hate start stop, I have a manual A3 1.4 COD and it seems very strange pulling away after start.stop, I either over rev it or under Rev, really annoying - might be me driving it wrong though

Reactions: AudiNutta
A little more finesse needed! I find that you need to anticipate and get the engine started before you need to pull away.
Certainly with s-tronic, if you just put your foot on the gas you will not get a smooth pull-away. Not sure about manual, but I am sure the engine needs to be settled down before starting off.
Not talking about a long time here - just a split second.

My S3 S-Tronic doesn't have the "grinding noise". However I have noticed on my wife's A1 S-Tronic that it does grind a little when stop-start kicks in and she pulls away. I've told her either switch stop-start off, or anticipate pulling away and just lift off the brake a little to let the engine restart before booting it away. Due for its first service soon, so will be getting it checked by the dealership, as it's not a nice noise for sure, and I'm not sure it's right either

Only time my S3 is a bit "instant" on pulling away is when it is first started and the S-Tronic then isn't quite as smooth as when the gearbox oil has warmed up (which doesn't take long) - but no grinding noise.

I haven't notice it yet, but as RichardT said - you need to get it a moment for the engine to start. I hate the grinding sound so I'm a bit more patient with it.

Also like mentioned - driving away in S/S either feels like launch control, or it looks like I've stalled.

Hi All

Started to notice this a little more recently. Not sure if it's because my driving style has changed a bit, or there is a fault.

Here's a typical situation where the issues happens - pull up at a traffic light, stop/start kicks in, as soon as it does the lights go amber so I attempt to drive off. I find there is no power at all and a horrible grinding sound - from the gearbox maybe? I take my foot off the pedal, let the engine start up correctly then proceed as normal.

I don't feel like it's a fault. I actually feel like it's a characteristic of stop/start - if I catch it "off guard" then it fails on me. Anyone else had this issue?
Hı ı ve bought a brand New audi a3 diesel stronic the same grinding noise occurs randomly my car is very new it's about 1200km.After start stop works then i press the throttle sometimes when the engine starts there can be a grinding noise i have asked my dealer and they said please record the noise come or let us look.
Did you solve the noise problem or what happened to this problem?please let me know the result or is it a problem?what do you recommend?

Hmmmm think some of you are driving it wrong hahaha.

Way I do it:

1) dynamic mode and having fun.... turn the dam thing off as i have aggressive braking and acceleration.

2) auto mode which is for my everyday.... come up to a light and brake lightly... but more firmly till stopped and back to lightly to just hold the car there.... start stop wont activate. Find I'm stopped for more then a few seconds.... I press firmer on the brake to activate start stop. When setting off again... let go of brake.... let engine start and clutch kick in (stronic) and only when car naturally starts going forward do I apply accelerations.

If I wanted immediate take off... I'd be in dynamic (added launch control if no cars are around and road conditions decent) with the dam thing off. Never had problems driving this way (touch wood.... being this late at night... it's anyone's guess what wood I'll be touchin! !)

Absolutely agree. It's even better with hold assist. You just roll to a halt and the brake comes on. Decide as above if you want the engine to stop.
Then lightly tap the throttle to start the engine. Another light tap takes off the brake.
It is a new technique though that has to be learnt. I didn't like it at first, but now it's satisfying driving with added finesse!!

come up to a light and brake lightly... but more firmly till stopped and back to lightly to just hold the car there.... start stop wont activate.

I have never been able to reproduce this (manual transmission)...

Hı ı ve bought a brand New audi a3 diesel stronic the same grinding noise occurs randomly my car is very new it's about 1200km.After start stop works then i press the throttle sometimes when the engine starts there can be a grinding noise i have asked my dealer and they said please record the noise come or let us look.
Did you solve the noise problem or what happened to this problem?please let me know the result or is it a problem?what do you recommend?

I´ve noticed that when my diesel A3 does a regeneration process it sounds really weird when pushing the throttle at standstill. Sort of a grinding noise, when the process is over it sounds normal again. I guess this i totally normal for a diesel. During that process the stop/start is also inactivated.

Hi All

Hey there

Did you ever manage to find the fault ? My A3 1.0 TFSI is in today at the workshop and they've called me to say they can't find the fault, but it has happened twice in the past two weeks.

Hi guys, did the dealer find any issues? we have a 68 1.0 A3 and its doin git a few times a week. im 99% sure what is happening is the cars rolling back as the hill hold lets go before the engines in full swing and then its making a grinding noise the same as me cramming the car into gear if it was a manual. I've attached the sound, not sure if its the same?

I had the grinding noise when relaeasing the brake after the gearbox has got up to temp (STronic) and ending up having a new clutch fitted under warranty. There was a technical bulletin about it.

I had the grinding noise when relaeasing the brake after the gearbox has got up to temp (STronic) and ending up having a new clutch fitted under warranty. There was a technical bulletin about it.
Thank you for the reply. Do you have the article by any chance as they keep saying they never heard about this issue before etc.

I dont sorry, Im still waiting on Audi sending me the paperwork regarding the work they did. I have a 1.4tfsi STronic and noticed the noise when changing between 3rd and 4th. then it started doing it from a stand still when releasing the brake. Took 3 visits to Audi and a load of camera footage which i struggled to get demostrating the noise. Eventually when showing one of the techs he said he knew about it and there was a technically bulletting and they changed the clutch for a modified one and also added sound dampening which was another TB which address noisey transmission.

Hi guys, did the dealer find any issues? we have a 68 1.0 A3 and its doin git a few times a week.

Hi Scott - did you have any luck with Audi? I too have 68 1.0 A3 with the same exact issue as in your video. Rolls back slightly while cutting out or in for start/stop. Thanks