Grinding Noise When Braking in Snow (ABS?)

fast-ferret

Reaction score
This morning (after an uneventful drive, other than my windscreen washers didn’t work) I parked the car in a snowy car park, when I put the brakes on there was a horrible grinding noise, i tried the brakes a few more times and it happened perhaps half the time. I didn’t notice any skidding or anything any of the times.

I’ve read this could be ABS, does the S4 ABS make that sort of noise? It sounded like the brake disc was made out of sandpaper! My brakes have been fine otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This morning (after an uneventful drive, other than my windscreen washers didn’t work) I parked the car in a snowy car park, when I put the brakes on there was a horrible grinding noise, i tried the brakes a few more times and it happened perhaps half the time. I didn’t notice any skidding or anything any of the times.

I’ve read this could be ABS, does the S4 ABS make that sort of noise? It sounded like the brake disc was made out of sandpaper! My brakes have been fine otherwise.

Sounds like ABS to me, you should also feel it through the pedal.
On a similar topic, I thought I had a flat tyre yesterday as the car was shaking at speed, then realised the wheels were all out of balance because of the snow/ice build up on them!

Sounds like ABS to me, you should also feel it through the pedal.
On a similar topic, I thought I had a flat tyre yesterday as the car was shaking at speed, then realised the wheels were all out of balance because of the snow/ice build up on them!

Hopefully it is, sounded (and yes felt through the peddle) horrible!

Hmm, my car randomly shakes at speed anyway. Need to get it sorted, very random. Wheels all balanced, bizarre.

Yes it is your abs, on slippery surfaces like the snow we have at the moment it helps a bit although if you do not leave enough room between the car in front it won’t help you much as witnessed yesterday.
Also on my wife’s Rav 4 with winters it still triggers the abs but stops really quick. Winters are fantastic.

Reactions: GAS MONKEY
Yes it is your abs, on slippery surfaces like the snow we have at the moment it helps a bit although if you do not leave enough room between the car in front it won’t help you much as witnessed yesterday.
Also on my wife’s Rav 4 with winters it still triggers the abs but stops really quick. Winters are fantastic.

I never expected it to make such a grinding noise!

Felt it again on the way home. Less grindy but definitely very pulsating in the pedal