Grinding Noise

RS3Rick

Reaction score
Has anyone ever experienced a sort of grinding noise under light acceleration? It sounds like metal being dragged on metal and I can only hear is under light load. I'm sure it's acceleration related. Any ideas?

Thats not a good sound to hear,I've had stones wedge in between my brakes dust cover and disc but that is a scraping noise

I've got a grinding noise that seems to stop when the aircon is engaged

Reactions: Arkious
I've got a grinding noise that seems to stop when the aircon is engaged

Yeah I get a similar one and Audi changed the air on pump and it made no difference.

It has literally no effect on the car at all but makes an odd noise 'grinding' every now and then. Actually rather than grinding it sounds like a gas leak which of course it isn't but still sounds crap. See my video below

Have you looked into it further? Or are you just living with it. I've had it back at the shop I bought it and sods law it has made no noise for them.

Have you looked into it further? Or are you just living with it. I've had it back at the shop I bought it and sods law it has made no noise for them.

Been back to Audi 4 times, they say they cant hear anything so I said please keep it on file as I don't want it to fail after warranty. It doesn't seem to be a damaging issue though, I think the heat from the engine is soaking into an incorrect part of the air con system. If you turn the air con off and back on again it sort of clears what sounds like a gas build up and then its fine for a while.

I agree with this; make sure the issue is recorded and kept on file. In my experience Audi dealers are first class at honouring an issue previously raised; but you need to do it nicely. I've just had a 6-month out-of-warranty £55 item gifted to me as a "good will item" just because I/we're generally nice to/with the dealership - and I've never purchased a car from them...

Been back to Audi 4 times, they say they cant hear anything so I said please keep it on file as I don't want it to fail after warranty. It doesn't seem to be a damaging issue though, I think the heat from the engine is soaking into an incorrect part of the air con system. If you turn the air con off and back on again it sort of clears what sounds like a gas build up and then its fine for a while.

Been to audi. Further investigation. Been told it could be the TXV. thermal expansion valve. Don't think it's too hard to change. But I can only find quotes for it in $. The garage I bought the car from has finally heard the noise. He's said it's perfectly normal. I retorted by saying I've had 52 views of my issue and only two of us have the fault. So not normal. He said not willing to change it. I can see his point, independent garage costs. So the saga continues.

See I said the valve to them too, it sounds like its passing gas when it shouldn't be and gives off the weird sound.

Will be interesting to know if it fixes it when you do get it sorted! could you try record the sound when it happens like I did and post it on here please? just for comparison cheers :)