Grooved front disc

nezhayley

Reaction score
was cleaning the car at the weekend and noticed one of my front discs are badly grooved,its only done 5k so are things like this likely to be audis responsibility or my own?

Any advice before i head to the dealer would be great.

Up to 6k miles (10k kms) even 'wear and tear' items such as brakes are covered under warranty as nothing should need replacing in that time period. I would take it down to the dealer ASAP and say it seems to be showing signs of excessive wear and an unusual wear pattern (discs should be totally smooth). Do you have a pic so we can confirm if the pattern is normal?

I usually get about 30-40k miles out of discs, but I'm very light on brakes as I use engine braking a lot. If you are hard on brakes, then it would not be unusual to get through a set of discs in 1/4 of that time (so you would be 1/2 way worn by now). It's tricky to be sure without seeing the car and how you drive!

Thanks for the reply,im like yourself,not an agressive driver,smooth on the brakes and use the engine to slow me down.heres a pic of what it looks like

Yea, that's definitely not right. I would suspect a stone has made it's way into the calliper. If the groove is very light and the stone removed (may already have dislodged itself) then it's probably a non-issue, but get it properly checked and they can sort it if required.

i had to fit rear pads in mine at the weekend , only done 7k miles , the old ones were glazed and braking down !!
was going to go back to audi but could nt be bothered for sake of £45

For what it's worth, I had all new pads/discs on the rear at ~10k miles, they were creating an odd pattern on the discs and they replaced them with a new compound apparently as the original ones were no good - sounds like you suffered similar.

For what it's worth, I had all new pads/discs on the rear at ~10k miles, they were creating an odd pattern on the discs and they replaced them with a new compound apparently as the original ones were no good - sounds like you suffered similar.
Talking of brakes,
I have the dreaded squeak back again after warranty work to replace pads
a short time ago !
On 10k miles!

this is why i like to do things myself , the dealers wont clean every thing to the standard i do or pay attention to detail
just wam bam next please !

Yea, that's definitely not right. I would suspect a stone has made it's way into the calliper. If the groove is very light and the stone removed (may already have dislodged itself) then it's probably a non-issue, but get it properly checked and they can sort it if required.
one side of mine was nt sweeping the disc fully , i fitted new pads but just cleaned up the discs .
on yours was it the pads at fault or the discs or both ?

you dont really need to be technically minded to carry out most service / basic repairs , and modern vag cars are pretty easy to work on
took me about an hour to swap rear pads , clean all calipers and discs , polish painted parts ( you do need a piston re wind tool for rears though )

one side of mine was nt sweeping the disc fully , i fitted new pads but just cleaned up the discs .
on yours was it the pads at fault or the discs or both ?

I think just the pads were are fault, but rather than cleaning the discs they just replaced them. Only the pads where different from the original spec, discs were as factory replacements.

Reactions: gingers3