Group Buy for URUS carbon fibre gear paddles in Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo255

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have reached out to a factory that makes these gear changing paddles and they have told me that if we can get 20 orders they will make a batch in Matt finish which I know some of you including me are interested. The cost would be £75 + shipping from the UK so I guess less than a fiver. for those in the UK If there is enough interest I will place the order. Let me know below.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alan Oliver and Daggerit
Hi All,

I have reached out to a factory that makes these gear changing paddles and they have told me that if we can get 20 orders they will make a batch in Matt finish which I know some of you including me are interested. The cost would be £75 + shipping from the UK so I guess less than a fiver. for those in the UK If there is enough interest I will place the order. Let me know below.

View attachment 248337

I’ll be game since they’re matte rather than gloss, that’ll definitely match the interior carbon a bit closer.

Stick me down and if there’s any pictures of what they might look like it would be good to get them up too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jimbo255
Looks like you'd lose the paddle illumination as can't see a prism like clear plastic piece for the led to light up.

Looks like you'd lose the paddle illumination as can't see a prism like clear plastic piece for the led to light up.
I could be wrong, but I don't think that the 8Y ones are illuminated anyway, just embossed - and + on the aluminium?

I could be wrong, but I don't think that the 8Y ones are illuminated anyway, just embossed - and + on the aluminium?
Yeah thats my belief as well. Maybe someone with a car could confirm but in my test day I didn't notice anything.

I'd be very surprised if they're not, all paddles I've worked with from audi have been illuminated via prisms, stripped apart to paint & test fitment on wheels for newer paddles, maybe someone can confirm.

Reactions: Daggerit
Yeah thats my belief as well. Maybe someone with a car could confirm but in my test day I didn't notice anything.
If it was during the day, you probably wouldn't notice them so much, as they're dim already.

If it was during the day, you probably wouldn't notice them so much, as they're dim already.

Doesn't look like there is any illumination.

Reactions: NHN, Daggerit and Detail Devil
Thanks for that Jimbo - put my name down, please.

I was leaning towards the Matte Black Aluminum style, but this is a good deal. Would be good to see them in a carbon car.

Reactions: NevMan and jimbo255
@jimbo255 i have approved your group buy.

Reactions: Detail Devil, NevMan and Daggerit
I'm in too, they look great.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

View attachment 248340

Doesn't look like there is any illumination.

Well everyday is a school day, thats really surprised me, never known audi to fit non illuminated paddles, ever & I've seen these paddles, I am sure they must have done 2 versions as they used these on RS cars too before the 8Y.

I mean its not like we dont know they're fitted & which is plus & minus is it, however its always been a nice touch.

Personally, I prefer discreet, these GB ones are way to large & obvious to my taste, each to there own.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Well everyday is a school day, thats really surprised me, never known audi to fit non illuminated paddles, ever & I've seen these paddles, I am sure they must have done 2 versions as they used these on RS cars too before the 8Y.

I mean its not like we dont know they're fitted & which is plus & minus is it, however its always been a nice touch.

Personally, I prefer discreet, these GB ones are way to large & obvious to my taste, each to there own.
Never know, maybe the illumination is just really well hidden. Or maybe it's just another subtle cost cutting measure.

Hi All,

View attachment 248338
View attachment 248339
Good price that! But that picture looks like “style A” which don’t fit. You’d need style B.

Reactions: Terminator x
Good price that! But that picture looks like “style A” which don’t fit. You’d need style B.
Hi Billymc92,

You are right and they will be style B but the only sample pic they had were style A which won't fit but it gives a good indication of what they will look like.

It is a good price as there is no profit in it but it does make you think how much is made on these when that's the price for 20 units think what it would be for 100+ it would be quite a bit cheaper.

Hi Billymc92,

You are right and they will be style B but the only sample pic they had were style A which won't fit but it gives a good indication of what they will look like.

It is a good price as there is no profit in it but it does make you think how much is made on these when that's the price for 20 units think what it would be for 100+ it would be quite a bit cheaper.
Someone selling the gloss carbon ones on Facebook for £160 and it's the exact same ones from AliExpress for £80

Is it hard to install? Do you have to dismantle your steering wheel and airbag etc? Or is it an easy install?

Is it hard to install? Do you have to dismantle your steering wheel and airbag etc? Or is it an easy install?
I think that it is fairly straight forward but I've not done it myself yet but there are a few videos around that show you how to do it. I have been told it's a 20-30 min job. If in doubt then you should get someone to either do it or help you but it does look one of the easier upgrades.

Reactions: Yellow
Just an update from @Snake Pliskin who has confirmed that the current RS3 Gear Paddles do NOT have any illumination so no features are lost :smiley:

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and NevMan
DISCONNECT BATTERY PRIOR TO STARTING TO REMOVE AIRBAG. Remember to leave your boot open or put a prop in to stop it closing or you’ll need to climb through the seats. Pop out the airbag using a screwdriver in the holes at back, here you can see the metal clips you will be pushing at either side of the wheel from the inside.
b97a3e18005a3dc3fd091ad9cff3c2f9.jpg

Use a plastic pry tool to pry this button module out from the outside of the steering wheel as you can see this is the plastic clip you want to release.
a69d7fc8d035e890751f7256b01ab200.jpg

Here you can see the other slips retaining it and also the plug you need to unplug.
14109c7571cb643042c045cea12df8d4.jpg

You’ll then see a torx bolt holding in the paddle, remove this and pull your old paddle out.

Then use a small tool/paper clip or iPhone sim card removal tool to remove this pin to then allow the module to be removed and install it on your new paddle.
b0661ee669d8d7a677d88220f57ecb41.jpg

Reactions: ZB1, Yellow, Detail Devil and 3 others
Do you know if these have a nice feel where you can feel the carbon material or ones that can feel bit like plastic?

Can be shipped overseas to Australia? If so count me in

Do you know if these have a nice feel where you can feel the carbon material or ones that can feel bit like plastic?

Can be shipped overseas to Australia? If so count me in
I can't make any serious promises as the only thing I have to go on are the pics above but it looks like you will be able to "feel" the texture. I am happy to send to Australia but won't know how much it will cost until I get the product in hand but I could also ask the factory to send your out directly out to you if they can. I'll add you the list and if we get to 20 ppl we can work on the logistics :)

Reactions: Detail Devil and Nesnah
Plus one for a pair! I'm in Croatia but it's no problem to pay you through paypal or whatever. Shipping also would not be a problem. Anyways, count me in. Ty

Reactions: NevMan and jimbo255
Almost half way with 9 ppl. We need another 11!

Reactions: kormilo1950 and NevMan
Looks good guys. I'll take 5 of these for our website.

I can help you guys arrange shipping & distribution if you need.

Reactions: jimbo255, kormilo1950 and Terminator x
I make that 15 in total so think only 5 more needed?

Awesome only 5 more needed and we can place the order, the factory is closed until the 2nd week of Feb due to Spring festival but looks like we will get there and that's great news as I've just had an email saying that the build for my car is complete and it's on its way over to me.

Reactions: Detail Devil, Adi7r, kormilo1950 and 1 other person
Status
Not open for further replies.