Gutted - tyre blowout!!

wills_1990

Reaction score
Just come back after 12 days holiday after picking up my new S3 6 days before going away... Come back excited to take the car out on my way back from the shops, car starts pulling to one side, next thing tyre goes thankfully I was 2 mins from home so just very slowly drove it down the road first of all making sure the alloy wasn't scraping at all!! I can't believe that I have driven the car for less than a week and I'm having to fork out for a new tyre already... What are the recommendations for tyres for the S3? And rough costs? The good thing is it means getting rid of the horrible continentals....

Just come back after 12 days holiday after picking up my new S3 6 days before going away... Come back excited to take the car out on my way back from the shops, car starts pulling to one side, next thing tyre goes thankfully I was 2 mins from home so just very slowly drove it down the road first of all making sure the alloy wasn't scraping at all!! I can't believe that I have driven the car for less than a week and I'm having to fork out for a new tyre already... What are the recommendations for tyres for the S3? And rough costs? The good thing is it means getting rid of the horrible continentals....

Do you not have tyre pressure monitoring?

Stupidly thought it was included... Wasn't until reading a thread on here that realised it wasn't and it was too late to add it....

Stupidly thought it was included... Wasn't until reading a thread on here that realised it wasn't and it was too late to add it....

Later this week I will be adding a TyrePal tyre pressure monitoring system to the group buys section so watch this space!

Yes it looks like thank god!! Although it was dark so will have to inspect it properly in the morning...

Perhaps try and speak to the dealership you bought it from. Try and wangle a new tyre. My friend did 9000 miles when his tyres wore out on his A1 and Audi replaced the lot. Maybe saying that a new tyre not holding its pressure after not being driven for 12 days isn't good enough?

If you have to go for new ones the Goodyear Eagle F1's are pretty decent.

The problem is there is a huge metal object in the tyre, I have yet to find out what it is.... Yeah I have heard they are a good tyre so was thinking either that or the Dunlop sport max RT have had a lot said about on here?!

If it's a new car, surely you want to put the same tyre on as is already on the other three corners, don't you? I think it's going to look a bit silly with one in four being different, plus there's the potential for handling issues due to mixing different tyres on the same axle. I'd stick to what you've already got on and chalk it up to bad luck.

Reactions: snowfree52
If it's a new car, surely you want to put the same tyre on as is already on the other three corners, don't you? I think it's going to look a bit silly with one in four being different, plus there's the potential for handling issues due to mixing different tyres on the same axle. I'd stick to what you've already got on and chalk it up to bad luck.

I think they recommend this on quattros don't they? To prevent damage to the diffs due to differing rolling resistance of cross branded tyres

I've had this happen to me twice now, got the same tyre model refitted again each time. Each time, I noticed it before the TPMS picked it up (I had driven about 2 miles after what I suspect caused one of them!), and the TPMS only went off after I had the space saver on and had driven on that for about 10 mins! Pretty useless system so far by my experience.

Dunno whether its just me but I have never known tyres as bad as Continentals for picking up foreign bodies and punctures. I have had a nail through the rear offside already - had less than 500 on the clock.

Had similar issues with an A4 and (wrongly) blamed it on 19" tyres - three punctures in two years. Continentals again. My last 8P S3s had Bridgestones. Not great tyres but puncture free on both in over 30k miles.

I've had all sorts of brands over the years - and generally re shoe with Pirellis. Never had puncture issues with anything other than Continentals. Maybe I'm just unlucky with them - but like previous posters have said don't mix and match. Change them all (which is a lot of outlay) or sadly just suck it and get another Continental.

Yeah i was thinking i might buy 2 for the back, so the axel is running the same tyres, but i have got a good deal on a Conti so sticking with that for now.

Dunno whether its just me but I have never known tyres as bad as Continentals for picking up foreign bodies and punctures. I have had a nail through the rear offside already - had less than 500 on the clock.

Had similar issues with an A4 and (wrongly) blamed it on 19" tyres - three punctures in two years. Continentals again. My last 8P S3s had Bridgestones. Not great tyres but puncture free on both in over 30k miles.

I've had all sorts of brands over the years - and generally re shoe with Pirellis. Never had puncture issues with anything other than Continentals. Maybe I'm just unlucky with them - but like previous posters have said don't mix and match. Change them all (which is a lot of outlay) or sadly just suck it and get another Continental.

Thanks for the advice, glad its not just me that is having the bad luck.

I've had this happen to me twice now, got the same tyre model refitted again each time. Each time, I noticed it before the TPMS picked it up (I had driven about 2 miles after what I suspect caused one of them!), and the TPMS only went off after I had the space saver on and had driven on that for about 10 mins! Pretty useless system so far by my experience.

Yep agree entirely. That is one of the many problems with indirect TPMS - the delay in reporting any change. A direct TPMS system will pick up a change in pressure (or temperature) within around 6 seconds and display the actual pressure. The other big problem with indirect systems is that because they are simply comparing the diameter of the wheels, if the pressure in all wheels changes together (which they do as the seasons and temperature changes) then nothing is reported.

In 7k I've had 5 punctures, 2 of which where new tires. I don't drive on any small roads or very rarely. So your not alone lol.

I've had one puncture recently and TPMS told me before I knew. I was very impressed. It wasn't a slow puncture either.

Yep agree entirely. That is one of the many problems with indirect TPMS - the delay in reporting any change. A direct TPMS system will pick up a change in pressure (or temperature) within around 6 seconds and display the actual pressure. The other big problem with indirect systems is that because they are simply comparing the diameter of the wheels, if the pressure in all wheels changes together (which they do as the seasons and temperature changes) then nothing is reported.

Yes, I'm fine with that though - It doesn't exempt you from checking your tyres and keeping them at the right pressures. I have the system mainly for punctures, but my experience so far hasn't been great.

What size engine do you have? And what size tyres were they? This is just to give you the best possible results. :)