H&R springs & discs/pads - noises, help please!

RicoS3

Sprint Blue is the new Ibis!
Reaction score
Hi all,

You may have seen my recent thread on new S3 with H&R 25mm springs and 19" BBS CK's. I am experiencing some strange noises on the near side rear and it's a little worrying.

To the details...

They are progressive springs, I think I understand. The near side rear at the top has a slight gap between the top 2 coils and thus as the car drives along and on heavier bumps they are chattering together, and I get a metallic, spring clunking noise. My work colleagues were walking down the road as I was on my way to check with the garage that fitted them and they heard it all the way, almost a continuous noise.

Once there we speak and discuss that they need to bed in and settle, so maybe a couple hundred miles or so. I then popped the OEM alloys and tyres in the back of the car and drove back to work. No noise, obviously down to the extra weight bearing down on the rear springs. Happened to pass my colleagues again and when asked, they didn't hear the same chattering or metallic clinking together.

So, my paranoia aside, it's just the springs settling in, nothing to panic about, calm the f*ck down and get on enjoying the car, yes? Or should I go back to the selling agent and ask for replacement?

Anyone else had any teething issues/noises when replacing springs to H&R's? If so, did it settle? Or should I go back to standards for now, save me sounding like a bag of spanners? FYI, car only done about 100 miles on the new springs, but it's been there since the start. Car has dropped more over the past couple of days, so in my mind I'm thinking they've bedded in.

Help really appreciated guys, it's more than a little worrying.

Cheers, Rich

Last edited:
My near side rear also made a bit of a rattling noise. Seems to have stopped now after a good few miles!

Thanks guys, i'm sure it'll settle. Now I have an on/off brushing noise from near side front disc and brake pad. Begins after first brake every journey, then swish, swish, swish. Almost like a warped disc or something. At slow speed brakes squeal under light braking, fine on heavy.

Feck, what next! Could this be the pads? I first thought it was a caught stone, but not after 2 days.

I'm sorry for all the questions, but you spend loads and any little sounds need identified and sorted. Anyone know what this could be?

No idea, but shame your getting these teething problems after you've just laid ££££££££££££££ on the table for the S3 :sorry:

Are you stating there is a physical gap between the spring and the housing under the load of the car? If so I would have them changed pronto. I have had many cars fitted with many brands of lowering springs and I have never heard of this type of settling in period. The springs should settle on the car onder its own load, they should never be loose in this condition. Can't really say for sure with regards to the S3 (8P) but I would say someone is feeding you a line. I had a set of Eibach springs fitted at a profesional outfit (no names) and the car sat 30mm higher than the standard ride height once fitted. I was given a simillar line about them settling in, I took the car out round the block a few times and brought it back, again the ride height was measured and it still sat over 25mm higher. I demanded the springs be changed and argued the point until I got my way. A few days later the springs were changed and by magic the car dropped 30mm from standard off the jack. All I'm saying fella is if your not happy don't be fobbed off have them replace the rear springs with a new set, if you wait too long they may not be obliged to change them. Good luck

Thanks Stepho. I've decided to have the stock springs put back in as I'm really uncomfortable with running the car with this noise. I'm in touch with the supplier so that when removed I can hopefully tell for sure if there is an issue and then we can decide on the correct course of action.

As for the squealing brakes and schish, schish noise when I turn right only, I've no idea. It's almost worse than the rattling spanners at the back!

How to take the shine off a new car.....

Wise choice Rico. Its a pity this has now put you off fitting lowered springs, would the company that supplied/fitted them not replace them? As if it was a bad batch a new set may be OK, rear springs can be done in jig time, so labour would be a minimum soak up for the fitting company. I would give it a go at least then if still not happy get a refund and stick the OEM springs back on.

Small update. Had the front wheel off and the plate where the bolts screw into has a small screw, don't know what for, but as the wheel came off, it fell off too. Screwed it back in. It could have been that that was rubbing. Noticed the pad wear sensor line and another line were twisted and on full lock to the right, one of the lines was at full tension. Unplugged these and untangled.

Ran the car, performed a couple of 100 to 0 hard stops, both safely and controlled I might add, and the schish, schish has all but gone. Poss a high spot on the pad? It's only done 130 miles after all, so I'll monitor.

As for the springs, well the near side rear looks to be positioned ever so slightly differently to the off side. I'll keep running it for now and check it daily, but having had a few folk look at it, mixed opinions. If I'm still uncomfortable running it as it is, then I'll swap them out. I do like the ride on the H&R's though, much flatter around the twisty stuff and not at all as crashy as I'd of thought.

It's to go back into Audi next week to change out the inlays from a donor car, so just wary of their opinion on it. Don't suppose they'll notice. Well, if they read this they will!