Had A3 on rollers....good result!

Mark_N

Reaction score
First time since having it Superchipped.

Same rollers, last time and standard she put out 153bhp and 280 lb/ft and today she put out 186bhp and 357 lb/ft...

a3rollers.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
358lb/ft!, holy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif, fear for your clutch.... I hope they didn't run it with no fans????

[/ QUOTE ]

It's Ireland man. Don't expect them to know what they are doing. Sorry, but I'm Irish as well and all I'd expect from "tuning" shops is "Era, tis alright. We'll run her till we see smoke." Take your stats with a tube of Saxo. The pic of that garage looks serious back alley work. The pic of that garage looks serious back alley work.

Your backward view of all things Irish is a bit disturbing Nelius, especially considering what it says on your passport.

Of course there were fans used, he had only reversed the car in when that picture was taken.

The man in the picture is Martin Treacy Nelius, one of the most respected guys in this country when it comes to engine tuning/precision engineering and I have no reason to doubt his rollers same as the 100s of VAG cars from a forum I'm a member of (some I have personally been there to see) which have been on them and consistantly thrown out figures which either mirror manufacturer claims or remap company claims.

Back alley work....My God. So would you like a gleaming perfect little showroom with a coffee machine and some nice comfy chairs? Personally I like the look which says "yeh, people have used this place".

The reason it's nothing fancy is because of how long he has been in the business using the 2WD rollers. He has a 4WD next door which has all the digital computers and blah blah which might make people such as yourself feel a bit more at ease.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

Wow thats mighty impressive.

Whats your spec ?
It must be a 2.0 TDI ?

357 LBS that really is Impreza beating !!

At what revs do you achieve that amount of Torque mark ?

I shall not act the complete tool again while very drunk and posting on forums.

[ QUOTE ]
I know...F1s aren't too cheap either.

After talking to some more people, one with a remapped Anni TDI with nitrous and the works with a smaller torque figure than me I'm a bit sceptical about the torque figure but the bhp seems fine.

Whatever about figures and blah blah though it's all about the way the car drives and it's smooth as a baby's...I had a remapped R32 owner as a passenger yesterday and he was very impressed with how it pulled and the progressive delivery of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Using this link, and imputting the revs at max torque and at max bhp gives:

186bhp @3511rpm
143bhp@2103rpm

Short power band, yes, but one big slug of a punch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

http://www.wallaceracing.com/horsepower2.htm

I had my 1.9 Tdi Modded with a Black Box to add fuelling, Induction kit, Turbo Technics Hybrid Turbo.

It produces 135 BHP and 220 LBS of torqe.
the Max Torque is at 2000 RPM and its the best place to have the power.

In standard form it was 80BHP and 150 LBS Torque....

oh and its a VW Caddy van /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif !!

[ QUOTE ]
How does it feel on the road ?
I'm particularly interested in the 60-80 mph zone,where my car feels really flat.
I think it's a gearing thing,as the car accelerates smartly enough up to 60mph,then changes into 4th and just,basically,bogs down.

The Superchips option is looking more and more attractive but I haven't,yet.had the balls to ask my MD about any insurance implications (company car)

Unless,of course,the mod is so undetectable that I could be forgiven for 'forgetting' to tell him... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bowfer as I understand it NO power increase mod is undetectable - even a serial port mod.

It would have to be specifically searched for I believe if they want to search for it BUT they would have to search for it and have reason to do so.

That is the good reason for going with Superchips - they have an Insurance backed warranty to cover all things not covered by the Audi warranty.

As far as the insurance is concerned - well thats up to you. If you have a serious accident with life threatening consequences you or your company may be held responsible if you are not insured! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

I intend speaking to our insurance company 'off the record' to see what they say.
I really cannot see the company 'absorbing' any increase in premium,so it would have to come out of my pocket.

[ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say it's an 'age' but know what you mean. But I think this is a feature of most turbo diesels, as the turbo needs to spool up fully again. I think my PD150 was the same maybe worse. It had a horrid flat spot @ 2200rpm.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought one of the 'plus points' of DSG was that it avoided turbo lag when changing gear ?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say it's an 'age' but know what you mean. But I think this is a feature of most turbo diesels, as the turbo needs to spool up fully again. I think my PD150 was the same maybe worse. It had a horrid flat spot @ 2200rpm.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought one of the 'plus points' of DSG was that it avoided turbo lag when changing gear ?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, just that it changes faster than 'mr average'. It may well just be gearing, because any car is going to accelerate slower in the intitial period after a change up. As I said it only did it once, not every time ( I was going up hill I think ) and by 65mph it pulled really strongly.

[ QUOTE ]
I intend speaking to our insurance company 'off the record' to see what they say.
I really cannot see the company 'absorbing' any increase in premium,so it would have to come out of my pocket.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd recommend speaking to the insurers ASAP mate. If it's a serious accident it's not just the cost of repairing/replacing your car, but could be some very serious costs heaped on you from the 3rd party, and they will all fall at your feet.

Kev.

Well Japper one thing I noticed from your little test you said you needed 4th at 60mph. Since I've been chipped I can get 75mph out of 3rd.

On the road it feels great, nice and smooth and progressive. Just like it did before with more muscle. I'm not too sure of my torque figure or how accurate that curve is though, on paper it makes it look like my car is a bit all or nothing and that is not the case at all.

60-80 I have no times for but it's stupid quick since the remap.

[ QUOTE ]

After talking to some more people, one with a remapped Anni TDI with nitrous and the works with a smaller torque figure than me I'm a bit sceptical about the torque figure but the bhp seems fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry Mark - the peak power is produced at relatively low rpm, hence the high torque figure for the same bhp. In other words, you can trust the torque output quoted. It would only be wrong if the revs were counted inaccurately.

On a separate note, I never realised that people quote flywheel power figures (though this was the preserve of optimistic Japanese bike manufacturers). Effectively this means that the 150ish bhp all standard TDi owners crow about (me included) is actually nearer 120bhp at the wheels. How depressing - my ****** bike makes more bhp than my car!

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't mean the gear ratios were changed at all!!

I may have been able to get 75 out of 3rd before but it was just from your earlier post I got the impression you meant at 60 you had to get 4th - also didn't know you had DSG either.

[/ QUOTE ]

No worries, just highlighting the difference in red line between DSG and Manual, which obviously becomes more of a noticeable point once chipped.

What revs you at when getting 78mph, must be around 4800 ?. Is there no limiter on the manual TDI ?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't mean the gear ratios were changed at all!!

I may have been able to get 75 out of 3rd before but it was just from your earlier post I got the impression you meant at 60 you had to get 4th - also didn't know you had DSG either.

[/ QUOTE ]

No worries, just highlighting the difference in red line between DSG and Manual, which obviously becomes more of a noticeable point once chipped.

What revs you at when getting 78mph, must be around 4800 ?. Is there no limiter on the manual TDI ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing the manual has longer ratios than the DSG, because Autocar info states that DSG's 3rd gear ratio is 13.8 which will just allow me to hit real 60mph at 4350rpm - indicated 65/66mph. If your getting mid 70's then you'd need to rev to 5250rpm with the same ratio's.

Nice stats mark it really opened the torque range up. U still considering the gti? How did the corrado’s perform on the RR?

[ QUOTE ]
I shall not act the complete tool again while very drunk and posting on forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

leave the laptop at home next time your in the pub mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shutup.gif

Hi Mark N, I reckon your BHP is about right but find it hard to believe the torque, most of the other s/chipped 2.0tdi are producing around 295/300lb - but as has been said its all in the drive which you are clearly enjoying /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have just had a full miltek system fitted at the weekend and would recommend it to you as your next mod, great sound not loud just a deeper note plus the turbo has a real eagerness to spool up accompanied by a nice, louder whistle. Car revs much better as well no longer feels 'restricted' higher up the rev range - oh and looks fantastic with the twin 'jet' style exit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Went for the full turbo back system of which there are 2 to choose from, I opted for the one without the front silencer (usually 2) - had it fitted at Miltek HQ - no discount but free fitting so a good price at £469 all in and the guys there were very helpful. No rattles, knocks just lovely quality workmanship /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I will try and organise some pictures for tomorrow just need to get some replacement batteries for the dig camera /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Went for the full turbo back system of which there are 2 to choose from, I opted for the one without the front silencer (usually 2) - had it fitted at Miltek HQ - no discount but free fitting so a good price at £469 all in and the guys there were very helpful. No rattles, knocks just lovely quality workmanship /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I will try and organise some pictures for tomorrow just need to get some replacement batteries for the dig camera /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

£469 for a superfluous exhaust,yet you can't spend £16 at Argos on rechargeable batteries... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I would be almost about to red line it in 3rd when doing 75 yep.

Just counting the seconds myself today I reckon 60-80mph in 4th gear takes no more than 4 seconds.

Baz the Corrados did pretty much what they said on the tin, I'm not sure of exact figures but they should possibly be up on Vage.

GTI yep still want one but not pushed to get rid of my yoke as soon as I was before wheels and remap.

If there's an S3 out when I do decide to change and it's a 2.0T I'll go for that over the GTI.

[ QUOTE ]

Nope, just that it changes faster than 'mr average'. It may well just be gearing, because any car is going to accelerate slower in the intitial period after a change up

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm.... Maybe not if you upshift at a point which drops the revs back down into the max torque/boost rpm, thus giving strong pull immediately after the upshift?

As DSG doesn't shut the throttle during a change this keeps the turbo spinning throught the gear transfer. Theres a fine line though, change too low and the revs drop out of boost, change to late and the turbo slows in the higher revs (as exhaust pressure drops) and you have to wait a fraction for it to spin up after the shift. I find that up shifting at 5.5krpm is spot on in the 2.0T.

On the 2.0T you get a very noticeable boost recirculation 'pssshhhhh' when you left of the gas without changing gear, thus stalling the turbo, but you get nothing when DSG upshifting hard on the throttle, only seamless pull without any lag at all.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Nope, just that it changes faster than 'mr average'. It may well just be gearing, because any car is going to accelerate slower in the intitial period after a change up

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm.... Maybe not if you upshift at a point which drops the revs back down into the max torque/boost rpm, thus giving strong pull immediately after the upshift?

As DSG doesn't shut the throttle during a change this keeps the turbo spinning throught the gear transfer. Theres a fine line though, change too low and the revs drop out of boost, change to late and the turbo slows in the higher revs (as exhaust pressure drops) and you have to wait a fraction for it to spin up after the shift. I find that up shifting at 5.5krpm is spot on in the 2.0T.

On the 2.0T you get a very noticeable boost recirculation 'pssshhhhh' when you left of the gas without changing gear, thus stalling the turbo, but you get nothing when DSG upshifting hard on the throttle, only seamless pull without any lag at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly the reason I haven't noticed it before then, as I don't tend to redline the TDI.

Yes, you dont lift off the throttle, but the ECU will momentarily while DSG swaps clutches. So in theory the turbo will still have to build up to 100% again.

I can't help thinking,should I go for a superchip,that the DSG's automatic up-change near the red line will infuriate me even more than it does already....

Only one way to tell I suppose !

[ QUOTE ]

GTI yep still want one but not pushed to get rid of my yoke as soon as I was before wheels and remap.

If there's an S3 out when I do decide to change and it's a 2.0T I'll go for that over the GTI.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mark if you do decide to go for the GTi I may be interested in those lovely 18" wheels of yours, drop me a PM always on the look out for a good buy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

As an aside to this thread,I have decided to sell the 'tuning box' I bought from e-bay,but haven't even tried.

Here is the seller's site.

www.pdtuning.co.uk

They charge £49.99 for it.

If anyone fancies giving it a go,PM me and I will accept a paltry £20 for it.
I will p+p it free once the cheque is received (I will call you everything on here if it bounces !)

I have not found the time to fit it (which will be evident when the buyer sees it's unmarked ) and I've lost interest in trying it.

It may work very well,it may be crap,I don't know.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mark if you do decide to go for the GTi I may be interested in those lovely 18" wheels of yours, drop me a PM always on the look out for a good buy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Except the wheels will fit the Gti so he may want to keep em

[ QUOTE ]
If I do go for the GTI it won't be for about 10 months.

I reckon I'll sell the CHs for what I paid for them (if not a bit more) because I got such a good deal on them but I already have a few people who've said they'll buy them off me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'll wait for Foxy's next GB then, I spoke with him a couple of weeks back and he confirmed the GB can be repeated early next year if he gets enough interest, in the meantime you keep enjoying your cool looking car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]
bowfer - is this tuning box any good?? How long you used it for? And have you had any problems?? What's fuel consumption like?

[/ QUOTE ]

As I mentioned in my message,I haven't fitted it so I can't give any guarantees or comments about it's performance.I can give proof that I bought it from the website I mentioned though,in the form of an e-bay invoice.

I don't want anyone to think I am trying to ditch a box that doesn't work as I would not do that.

Whoever buys it will see that the connectors are unmarked and the box is new.

Some people (Jungle and his colleagues for example) say these boxes are great.

Japper bought one at the same time as I did and he thought it was rubbish,but he bought his from an entirely different company.

Spin have you tried Halfords for the CHs?

They are pretty good price wise when it comes to CHs.

Could Halfords really beat Foxy's GB prices ?

Not going to look into it just yet Mark as I have to resist the temptation for now as funds are to be allocated elsewhere, I will be looking to replace mine around christmas/jan 06 - what clouds things a little is I've just spent £420 on a set of GSD III for my 17" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif