Had better days...

monkeyboy_marcus

Reaction score
Blow out on M25. Looks like we won't be making the wedding in Bath after all (didn't want to go anyway!)

Michelin PA4 - no drama.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 271
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
WOW Marcus… So good you and yours are OK, :thumbsup: I guess that could happen to anyone, anywhere.

PS: I hear the bride and groom are gonna postpone the ceremony for a week till you get a new tyre; ain't that nice Marcus, just for you… :friends:

Reactions: Ghost, DAYTONA 500 and monkeyboy_marcus
Scary stuff. Shows that even premium tyres cannot be 100% trusted. Glad you're all ok. I'm sure quattro and modern stability controls helped keep things stable

Reactions: 45bvtc and monkeyboy_marcus
Thanks guys. The missus is carrying on to the wedding without us unfortunately, with me and the kids heading home in the recovery truck. Arranged by Audi Assist and pretty efficient. Coulsdon Audi however did not return either of my call about recovering the vehicle to them or sorting out a replacement vehicle. ****e customer service.

Interestingly, the recovery guy pointed out sidewall splits/tears in all other tyres that would probably warrant them being replaced and this is without any particularly crazy driving or impacts etc. might need to take this up with Michelin...

The main thing everybody is safe and not hurt,i once went to a wedding i didn't want to go to it was my own.

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus, Ghost, Mr_Freeze and 4 others
Thanks guys. The missus is carrying on to the wedding without us unfortunately, with me and the kids heading home in the recovery truck. Arranged by Audi Assist and pretty efficient. Coulsdon Audi however did not return either of my call about recovering the vehicle to them or sorting out a replacement vehicle. ****e customer service.

Interestingly, the recovery guy pointed out sidewall splits/tears in all other tyres that would probably warrant them being replaced and this is without any particularly crazy driving or impacts etc. might need to take this up with Michelin...

When you've got yourself safely sorted out Marcus, and just for the record, I'd like to know what mileage you've done on those Michelins with "sidewall splits/tears".

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus, Kelza and Mr_Freeze
Wow...sorry to hear your news Marcus, main thing is your all safe. We've just travelled back from Blackburn and the driving conditions are atrocious and thats not with the idiots lane hogging and driving steamed up cars!!!!:asskicking:

Reactions: warren_S5 and monkeyboy_marcus
When you've got yourself safely sorted out Marcus, and just for the record, I'd like to know what mileage you've done on those Michelins with "sidewall splits/tears".
Glad to hear your ok too Marcus.
As per Johns request it would be highly interesting if you could also post close up pics of the remaining tyres and the split/tears.

Last edited:
Has there not been another or even a couple on the back of RS3's and even same side?

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus
Hi John, I estimate <6k miles over two seasons. Tyres were stored in a shed over the summer months. I may be in touch about some technical questions if you don't mind...

Last edited:
As per Johns request it would be highly interesting if you could also post close up pics of the remaining tyres and the split/tears.
Will get on to this later today. Have to figure out the best way to approach getting back on the road. Am assuming that the wheel is probably compromised, as we had to trundle a good 10 miles at low speeds, although the rubber was still covering the rims. New one isn't cheap and then there's geo/tracking and the insurance/non-insurance route to consider...

Glad you're ok chap, could have been so much worse.

Appreciate my car is not an RS3, but I had a strange tyre issue running genuine RS3 alloys on my S3. I thought the rear diff was packing up as I was getting a terrible rumbling from the rear of the car. Tyres were showing 5.5mm of tread all round (Uniroyal RainSport 2 - I know, not the best tyre in the world but I'd just forked out £2k for OEM alloys).

I took car to APS to be checked, turns out the rear edges of the tyres were badly stepped and had really worn down compared with the rest of the tyre. I got them to check the alignment and one of the rear measures(?) was out 20 minutes EXACTLY on both sides.

Large wheels on this platform are notorious for wearing tyres out on inner edges, but if you speak to Audi they won't comment on it /admit to it. I've now had my car re-aligned and it feels largely the same so you wouldn't feel the discrepancy until the tyre wears.

Worth checking to see if you have similar problem, if not best of luck resolving your issue.

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus

Haven't managed to get any photos but it turns out that at least two of the tyres are fine, just some kerbing flesh wounds. Will have to check out the front drivers side one that is at the bottom of the pile but the recovery guy may have been exaggerating the damage. If this is the case, sorry for causing any concern. The PA4s still rate highly for me despite the puncture (nail by the way).

Back on MPSS (front) Contis (back) again now thanks to some above/beyond assistance from Audi Coulsdon's workshop manager. Wheel was also found to be fine despite the burnt rubber battle scars.

I have also acquired a 19" space saver that has yet to find a home in the boot but I'm happier to have it, even if it's not an ideal solution. Anyone shed any light on the overall compatibility with front/rear and is quattro going to be an issue? Why don't we have a spare as standard?

Also found out the Audi Assist is meant to attempt to fix your problem, or recover you to your choice of destination and provide a replacement vehicle - news to me, all I got was taken back home and the car dumped on the road outside the house by a local firm subcontracted to RAC.

Reactions: DAYTONA 500 and Mr_Freeze