Had to put a dog down this morning

consilio

Up the owls!
Reaction score
As per the title. Basically next doors dog got into my brother in laws garden, and his dog killed the neighbours dog.

It was a tough decision and we felt that as it was the neighbours dog escaping into another garden, it wasn't the dogs fault. Dogs are territorial after all, and they have strong instincts. However he had previously killed 2 chickens and a rabbit in the last 3 years, and felt we could not risk him attacking another dog, or even worse a person or child, so had him put to sleep this morning

Gutted is not the word, and it's not even my dog, hopefully we have done the right thing

Must have been very hard, i know i would be devastated if i lost my dog. But if there is any doubts about temprement it must have been the right thing to do.
If you had kept the dog,and it reacted that way to a strange person entering the house/garden, im sure you would feel a whole lot worse.

That's got to be a tough decision to make.
I don't think I could make it at all.

Why/how did the neighbours dog escape?

You can't really blame your dog for defending its territory. I could never put my dogs down for defending us or our house.

What happened with the chickens and rabbit?
They pets or just random animals when out walking?
My smaller dog got a thing for hedgehogs, no ideas why.

F@#k man..... That's like putting a bolt to one of Yr kids! So glad I have lab's they struggle to aggressive. But dread the day they go into the ground. Think your bro made the right choice just to be on the safe side.
But feeling Yr pain fella it can't have been an easy decision to make.

That sucks. Some dogs can be very territorial, and sadly that means they can't always really be trusted as pets (especially around children). Sounds like a total bad-*** dog too though, makes it even more of a shame.

It was a husky vs chihaua - spelling way out there sorry

The chickens were both in coops in the garden which the dog managed to get into on two separate occasions, the rabbit was whilst out on a walk off lead

I think you did the right thing, once a dog tastes fresh blood there's nothing you can do- he'll strike again !

R.I.P. Sounds like you've done the best thing mate. I know how you feel mate. We had a black alsatian from 8 weeks old, his back legs went at the age of 4 and by the age of 8 there was nothing else they could do to help. Mum wanted to keep him that bit longer but I said it's not fair on him. We had him put to sleep. It's the worse thing ever. I'll never forget it, you don't realise how much your gonna miss them till the time comes. That was 3 years ago and mums still not ready for another.