Facelift Haldex Problem?

AudiNutta

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I’m after a bit of last minute advice. I’ve got 4300 miles on my car now, pretty much from new I’ve noticed something untoward with the way the car drives. I was going to ignore it because I hate dealing with Audi and couldn’t be bothered, but stuff it.. the car is going in today for the exhaust rattle and it needs investigating.

I’ve driven a lot of Quattro cars in the 8V platform and never experienced anything like it, even after 12,000 miles in my S3.

So I’m having issues with the engine bogging down when I suspect the Haldex kicks in. Say for example, pulling onto a dual carriageway.. accelerating steadily (not slow but not fast, just loaded).. the car will bog down, give you a kick and then carry on. It isn’t the gearbox, day for example 5th gear at 40mph, as soon as the revs start to build the revs bog and it feels like a bad manual gearchange, it’s also very noticeable from the engine note. It isn’t traction control as the light has never flickered while it’s done it, ever! The car is engaged in a gear and accelerating when it does it.

It is somewhat similar to what you’d expect from a traction control intervention as it stops power, but it’s much more violent.. the traction control just stops any increase in speed. There is a ‘scrunching’ / ‘graunching’ mechanical noise most of the time when it does it, but I’m unsure if that’s the exhaust note changing if I’m honest.

Hoping for some advice before I drop the car off at 4pm, it’s an obvious problem when you’re adjusted to the car and I’m curious if others have experienced it.. you would have clocked onto the loss of drive instantly.

I will post the same thread in the A3 forum as more people are active on there.

Thanks,

Matt.

What engine mode do you get it in ?? I find if engine is in comfort then it sometimes feels laggy as it doesn't like to build boost at lower rpm, you can feel torque rise and fall during a constant pedal input.

What engine mode do you get it in ?? I find if engine is in comfort then it sometimes feels laggy as it doesn't like to build boost at lower rpm, you can feel torque rise and fall during a constant pedal input.

I just tried it in comfort coincidently as I never use that mode, it was too lazy to happen.. it’s when you take the Quattro by surprise and it has to get its act together!

Have you tried limiting the traction? I heard of one person who's issue was similar to yours but his was when he was flooring it.

Its all that economy driving you have been doing and looking at the fuel gauge instead of the rev counter.......... the engine has got used to being lazy and now you actually want to use it properly you have confused it! :whistle2:

Reactions: Leo-RS, Jefecito, D0C and 3 others
Been using mine in comfort these last few weeks for my new commute and must say absolutely hate the normal D in this mode. Very lazy and when you get past a speed restriction and decide to floor it it takes a second to work out what it wants to do, then the smile reappears. I always swore to using the paddles but they seem totally pointless on the mways unless you need to overtake.

Reactions: AudiNutta
Have you tried limiting the traction? I heard of one person who's issue was similar to yours but his was when he was flooring it.

Yep I’ve tried that, still does the same :/

This isn’t booting it, just loading the engine.

So the Master Tech came out with me and he was a quiet character, he acknowledged the noise / feeling but didn’t give me any opinion as to whether it was normal or not... my service advisor basically said I will find that out when I get my update.

Hi All,
So I’m having issues with the engine bogging down when I suspect the Haldex kicks in. Say for example, pulling onto a dual carriageway.. accelerating steadily (not slow but not fast, just loaded).. the car will bog down, give you a kick and then carry on. It isn’t the gearbox, day for example 5th gear at 40mph, as soon as the revs start to build the revs bog and it feels like a bad manual gearchange, it’s also very noticeable from the engine note. It isn’t traction control as the light has never flickered while it’s done it, ever! The car is engaged in a gear and accelerating when it does it.

It is somewhat similar to what you’d expect from a traction control intervention as it stops power, but it’s much more violent.. the traction control just stops any increase in speed. There is a ‘scrunching’ / ‘graunching’ mechanical noise most of the time when it does it, but I’m unsure if that’s the exhaust note changing if I’m honest.

Hoping for some advice before I drop the car off at 4pm, it’s an obvious problem when you’re adjusted to the car and I’m curious if others have experienced it.. you would have clocked onto the loss of drive instantly.

I will post the same thread in the A3 forum as more people are active on there.

Thanks,

Matt.

Do you mean like this on youtube start @13m57

I think I understand what you mean.. It almost feels like the engine is "sleeping" a bit and you caught it "off-guard" when needing some power ? Its only there for half a second or so? I think this is normal, might be because of the dual injection switching modes

I think I understand what you mean.. It almost feels like the engine is "sleeping" a bit and you caught it "off-guard" when needing some power ? Its only there for half a second or so? I think this is normal, might be because of the dual injection switching modes

It’s not the engine, it’s the transmission. The engine has already stated to build revs, drops off and then picks up again sometimes with a bit of a kick.

It’s not the engine, it’s the transmission. The engine has already stated to build revs, drops off and then picks up again sometimes with a bit of a kick.

Is it during a gearchange?

I have experienced a similar thing. Mine is say 40 mph high gear , joining motorway, suddenly floor it , drop off in power almost a lag, split second later picks up. I’ve ways thought it was a limitation of the gearbox.

Reactions: KKOG
I have experienced a similar thing. Mine is say 40 mph high gear , joining motorway, suddenly floor it , drop off in power almost a lag, split second later picks up. I’ve ways thought it was a limitation of the gearbox.

That’s the one, but only if it doesn’t kick down... if it stays in the same gear. I was doing it off of roundabouts from 15mph yesterday.

Went out with a ‘Master Tech’, asked this morning for the prognosis and turns out this ‘Master’ doesn’t have much experience with Quattro so doesn’t know if it’s normal or not, I got told he knows his stuff.. ****** rubbish! Now it’s snowing and it can’t be tested.

That’s the one, but only if it doesn’t kick down... if it stays in the same gear. I was doing it off of roundabouts from 15mph yesterday.

Went out with a ‘Master Tech’, asked this morning for the prognosis and turns out this ‘Master’ doesn’t have much experience with Quattro so doesn’t know if it’s normal or not, I got told he knows his stuff.. ****** rubbish! Now it’s snowing and it can’t be tested.
He doesn’t sound like a Master Tech in that case... may be next car get something more reliable like an Alfa...

Reactions: Ed_rx7
He doesn’t sound like a Master Tech in that case... may be next car get something more reliable like an Alfa...

Exactly what I thought.

Alfa? Nah I’d be bored, it’s all these trips to the main dealer that make me want to buy more!!

Reactions: Jonny B
I have that - it is when you floor it the engine seems close to stalling - I imagine it is flooded with gas. Fine when you floor it slightly more slowly.

I have that - it is when you floor it the engine seems close to stalling - I imagine it is flooded with gas. Fine when you floor it slightly more slowly.

Depends on how you mean floor it, it’s only gradual and not enough for a kick down.

Mine does this to. It must be a common trait with the gearboxes mechatronic unit getting abit confused has what to do next.
These boxes are tuned to give optimum fuel efficiency so when you are in say 7th @40mph and then press abit harder on the pedal it will do two things
Either pull through that rev range until you back off or readjust itself to match the input and angle voltage from accelerator pedal with speed and rpm and decide what gear to give you. This could be where the slight delay/ power loss is. This is just my thoughts maybe right maybe wrong.

Spot on . It feels like it’s flooded. I’m going for kick down when this happens , if I gently get on the gas it’s fine .
Agree with DW it’s when it’s in top gear and u ask for more , if I manually change down and match the revs it’s fine .
I don’t have Audinuttas problem , gentle pedal pressure I have no issues.

Mine does this to. It must be a common trait with the gearboxes mechatronic unit getting abit confused has what to do next.
These boxes are tuned to give optimum fuel efficiency so when you are in say 7th @40mph and then press abit harder on the pedal it will do two things
Either pull through that rev range until you back off or readjust itself to match the input and angle voltage from accelerator pedal with speed and rpm and decide what gear to give you. This could be where the slight delay/ power loss is. This is just my thoughts maybe right maybe wrong.

Mine isn’t when cruising it’s when accelerating.

I’ve never ever felt it in an 8V platform car before amongst a good few S3’s and several RS3’s! It’s a drop in power while you’re already accelerating, up to speed onto a dual carriageway.. say 40mph in 5th.

Well in my books audinutta your car sounds F...... mate, rattle on start up dodgy seat belt racing blue mica paint work cream leather seats, now a drop in power on acceleration send it back to the motherland and buy a Prius mate:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::friends::thumbs up:

Just kidding mate.

Well in my books audinutta your car sounds F...... mate, rattle on start up dodgy seat belt racing blue mica paint work cream leather seats, now a drop in power on acceleration send it back to the motherland and buy a Prius mate:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::friends::thumbs up:

Just kidding mate.

Lmao! No dodgy seat belt on mine, just asked about it.

Definitely need to give up, it gets embarrassing how much my cars end up in the dealer... trying to explain to work why I turned up in an ugly red 3 door bubble today was annoying. Yep, buys a £54k car that was faulty from the factory... still get given a bog standard A1. When I’m 21 in May, I’ve been told that will change.

Well hopefully your problems on the car and others on here are all sorted and you can start to enjoy the car again and have a niggle free motor.

Just watched some tuning videos on the capabilities of this new engine, boy are some of you tuner/modding guys in for a treat. Against us PFL owners I think you would tear us a new ********:tearsofjoy:

Well hopefully your problems on the car and others on here are all sorted and you can start to enjoy the car again and have a niggle free motor.

Just watched some tuning videos on the capabilities of this new engine, boy are some of you tuner/modding guys in for a treat. Against us PFL owners I think you would tear us a new ********:tearsofjoy:

It is pretty incredible what they are doing with the engines, I’m interested to see the longevity of the alu block with high power.

Reactions: Terminator x
It is pretty incredible what they are doing with the engines, I’m interested to see the longevity of the alu block with high power.
Audi have deployed the use of plasma coating on the cylinder bores. If it's as good as some of the results that other popular engine manufacturers have achieved on their performance engines, then it should'nt be a problem.

Check out the link for the Ford Shelby V8
http://articles.sae.org/7624/

Reactions: AudiNutta and T-800
Sorry , I want to be sure I understand, they were able to duplicate it and said it was normal? Nothing in what you described in your initial post sounded at all normal.

Sorry , I want to be sure I understand, they were able to duplicate it and said it was normal? Nothing in what you described in your initial post sounded at all normal.

Exactly my point!

Basically the technician was in the car and was saying “was that it?”. As far as I am concerned if a technician is able to pick out something on a test drive, it is out of the ordinary for him.

But Audi just fobbed me off on this one. When I tried to argue it on the phone my boss gave me a telling off mid-call, so I had to go a bit quick and then when I collected the car I was in a mad rush to get back to work. When it goes back in for the backbox I will ask for further investigation.

Mine isn’t when cruising it’s when accelerating.

I’ve never ever felt it in an 8V platform car before amongst a good few S3’s and several RS3’s! It’s a drop in power while you’re already accelerating, up to speed onto a dual carriageway.. say 40mph in 5th.
When would the car ever be in 5th at 40mph? Mine would be coming out of second at that speed - it shifts at 39 mph from memory.

Reactions: DW81
When would the car ever be in 5th at 40mph? Mine would be coming out of second at that speed - it shifts at 39 mph from memory.

Exac;ty, this is in normal progressive driving not hard.

I had somebody from work today in the car, it got embarrassing it feels absolutely awful!! Not giving up yet.
You guys can’t be experiencing the same and putting it down to normal, it can be bad.

Might be haldex pump get it checked mate...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Exac;ty, this is in normal progressive driving not hard.

I had somebody from work today in the car, it got embarrassing it feels absolutely awful!! Not giving up yet.
You guys can’t be experiencing the same and putting it down to normal, it can be bad.
Must say that mine is very slow to kick down. The actual gear changes are quick, but it takes an age to make its mind up and then doesn't seem smooth, giving a bit of a fart out of the exhaust before firing down the road. My PFL RS3 was definitely smoother.

Must say that mine is very slow to kick down. The actual gear changes are quick, but it takes an age to make its mind up and then doesn't seem smooth, giving a bit of a fart out of the exhaust before firing down the road. My PFL RS3 was definitely smoother.

Can’t say I notice a problem with kickdown really, not saying it’s instant but nothing alarming.

The exhaust note you talk of sounds familiar to me, there is a definite change in engine tone when it bogs down. But you would think mine is broken, it’s a definite pause, drop in revs that can be recovered using extra applied throttle until the drivetrain kicks back in. It’s like a strong traction control intervention which we all know what feels like, but only reintroduction of the power comes with a scrunching noise.. the best way I can describe the noise is that it is almost like how you’d imagine a scrubbing tyre.

Have you hit the red line in the TTRS? I know in the Facelift RS3 it is utterly violent, hit it with my Dad in the car last week and he thought it was broken... they are supposed to bounce off, which sounds incredible.... Audi are definitely toning back these cars, it worries me what they are going to come up with next.... 4-cylinder RS3, 3 cylinder S3.......

Can’t say I notice a problem with kickdown really, not saying it’s instant but nothing alarming.

The exhaust note you talk of sounds familiar to me, there is a definite change in engine tone when it bogs down. But you would think mine is broken, it’s a definite pause, drop in revs that can be recovered using extra applied throttle until the drivetrain kicks back in. It’s like a strong traction control intervention which we all know what feels like, but only reintroduction of the power comes with a scrunching noise.. the best way I can describe the noise is that it is almost like how you’d imagine a scrubbing tyre.

Have you hit the red line in the TTRS? I know in the Facelift RS3 it is utterly violent, hit it with my Dad in the car last week and he thought it was broken... they are supposed to bounce off, which sounds incredible.... Audi are definitely toning back these cars, it worries me what they are going to come up with next.... 4-cylinder RS3, 3 cylinder S3.......
I think Audi will stick with the 5cyl for at least another generation of car.

Reactions: DW81
I think Audi will stick with the 5cyl for at least another generation of car.

Or until we run out of juice

Then it’ll be a 5 motor car 1 for each wheel and 1 to generate fake 5 cylinder noise.

Reactions: DW81 and D0C