Halfords window cleaner liquid : DISGRACE

A4NA18

Reaction score
Hi Lads,

Just got a bottle of Halfords Premium window cleaning liquid. Well well well. nice pinkish colour and nice scent.... but that's about it. it leaves a very sticky oilly coat which attracts all the dust and crap around.

What do you use guys?

I use the apple flavour and was washing my car yesterday. Was giving it a wipe down with the Meguiars towel and noticed when I wiped the windscreen it was sticking! Did not think it was the washer fluid leaving a residue. why would it anyway?? Surely it sould be left clean??

just put some meths in the water

john2garden said:
Drank it all last night, is there anything else I can put in??

Lmao !!!¬

Yeah I dunno if its my wiper blades or the washing fluid I am using but its very greasy when I try to clean the windows only clears up if I put wipers off for a few mins and let air dry it.

I ordered a set of bosch aerotwins the otherday as it is almost a year now since I bought the standard bosch ones.

Its going to start ******* down here for the rest of the winter very soon so hopefully performance will be good on these!

Once I have this fitted I can rule out if its the cheapo windscren washing fluid or not.

I use tesco ***** washer fluid, but periodically do a proper glass clean using Mer windscreen cleaner - I rate all their stuff, use this to do the blades aswell and it's spot on.

Auto Glym glass cleaner, and then Rain-X to minimise water sticking.

LOL we talk about every silly little thing on this forum. I mean window cleaner come on omg!

I'll post some pictures next time ;o))

Sometime it is good to get away from the serious.

Next topic, air freshner .....

:asskicking:

A4NA18 said:
I'll post some pictures next time ;o))

Sometime it is good to get away from the serious.

Next topic, air freshner .....

:asskicking:

ROFL!

Too funny M8!

I have my pirelli man air freshner installed and fitted on my rear view mirror one of the best mods ever quite easy to do!:nyah:

Glass: Autoglym car glass polish or fast glass

Smell: Neutradol blue

I stupidly bought some of that Halfords shyte - how can they get something so simple so wrong? It doesn't smell nice and is worse than just water. Back to Wickes own brand.

macattax said:
LOL we talk about every silly little thing on this forum. I mean window cleaner come on omg!

Agreed, but a clean car is a good car, even if it's fundamentally crap!

Clean wheels and clean windows make any car look 100% better.

I find tescos windscreen cleaner is alright and cheap too. Need new wiper blades thou.

externally i use whatever i'm polishing the car with at the time, internally my weapon of choice is a damp leather. i very rarely polish the inside of the glass, i find the odd wipe with a leather keeps them fresh as a summer meadow.

on the air freshner front i don't prescribe to the "mirror" installation method as the dangly swingy thing usually interferes with my vision and after spending so much time cleaning my windows it seems such a waste.

i have a Duco something or other vent mounted airfreshner but rather than utillising the conventional method of mounting i clip it to the footwell vent leaving the dash uncluttered.

are we on to ice scrapers yet?

shineydave said:

never ever use an ice scraper, can damage the glass, just use tepid water from a jug.

i have a plastic bladed Kingavon jobby, although robust in construction it is very forgiving and would be very surprised if it damaged anything. the long handle of the Kingavon scraper means it is perfectly balanced and also affords some all important distance between ice and hand. the utullitairian colouring of this tool is ideally suited to such a simple but usefull impliment

previously i possesed a brass bladed tool but that was a serious piece of kit designed for the professional ice scraper only, definately wouldn't recommend such a tool for the occasional user.

the wife also has a plastic bladed scraper which is from the Halfrauds "Barbie" range and comes in a fetching shade of pink, i can discerne no appreciable increase in window clearing performance due to the vivid hue but the built in fur glove does make those early morning scraping operations a much more enjoyable experience.

This thread should be renamed to "silly but useful"

shineydave said:
i have a Duco something or other vent mounted airfreshner but rather than utillising the conventional method of mounting i clip it to the footwell vent leaving the dash uncluttered.

Dave my michelin man is not dangling as I clipped it to the mirror dipper catch lol
I also am a firm believer in the footwell mounting method of some air freshners but I wanted to show off my michellin man!

I find this thread completley ridiculous so ****** funny!

Whats next? The best bobbing head dash characters (I dont have one!) ?

Valve caps, interesting. i have a set of domed head chrome ones from a car shop in Cleckheaton (£2.99)

the performance of these inexpensive caps is far in excess of what one would expect from such a budget option. they have an excellent finish which is resistant to weathering and chemical cleaners, they have retained their lustre for all of the 2 weeks they have been on the car. installation of the valve caps is simplicity itself and can be accomplished in minutes although novices may want to seek assistance from a qualified mechanical engineer.

as an important safety feature they come complete with a sealing "O" ring within the body to act as a secondary containment device should the valve itself fail. these were purchased to replace a previous set of flat headed caps, stolen in the Cross Keys carpark by some thieving scrotes. hopefully the replacements won't follow the same fate as they are capable of being applied with a ring spanner to ensure they are tight enough to deter all but the most determined scum sucking pig dog.

i have modified them slightly with the application of some general purpose grease to the internal threads as caps of this style are prone to siezing on to the valve stem. this should ensure literally weeks of trouble free valve cap ownership.

all in all i have to report a thoroughly enjoyable ownership experience

LOL fair play to ya m8!
Very good write up indeed lol.
I was having trouble finding valve caps with audi rings on them which were also the locking type.
Anyone know where I can get some?

Hmmm whats the next silly subject lol I dread the thought of it?

Ways to make the cup hoders actually hold a cup?
I use someones business card folded into 3 and wedged, but unfortunately this has to be re-wedged everytime you take a sip from the cup, so cheap but not terribly effective.

i use a Mcd's small drinks cup with a decent portion of it cut down to allow a tin of pop or a coffee cup to fit in without falling all over, it also catches any drips from around the rim of the cup and best yet it fits snugly!!

back to the original subject... i use window wipes from the shell garage called "screenies" they come in two types for (wait for it) interior and exterior! really good for cleaning the road scum off as well as bird doings, tree sap and splattered bugs. i follow the clean with a application of rain x to all external windows and the interior rear window (helps with demisting) and in the bottle i use the halford stuff.
i aint had a problem with it but clearly some of you have? i regulary clean the wiper blades with vinegar and water (10 - 1 solution) and you should see the black crud that comes off the rubber!!

Cheers scrupes the mc donalds small cup tip is great m8 cheers. I had a small spillage not so long ago (only a few drips of coke) but it still managed to jam up two buttons on the ac unit a tiny but of jizer cleaned it up after I tried a few diff products. I was so lucky it didnt get into the RNS-E !! So thanks I will be using this tip and I will even give you a thank you vote.

Also how do you set a current mood on posts?