Handbrake on engine shutoff

Candell

Reaction score
Usually turning off the engine also puts on the handbrake automatically and puts the car in park. My daughter's school is on a steep hill so in the morning I park up, turn off the engine and go to get out.

This morning, I parked up quite close to a car, turned off and took my foot off the brake but the handbrake wasn't on. The car immediately rolled forwards before I pressed the brake. I was literally 1mm from hitting the car infront.

Has this happened to anyone else? I'll be double checking from now on, it scared the bejesus out of me.

Does it have auto brake enabled?

Did you put the car into reverse during the parking process? I have noticed that if the car thinks you are doing a slow speed manoeuvre then it does not automatically apply the brake as it thinks you ar eparking and do not want to have to accelerate to release the brake. Has happened to me a couple of time and I now make sure the handbrake is on if I (or anyone else is getting out of the car without putting the car in Park and switching off the engine

I did reverse in to the space today yes. It was a small space so parallel parked quite slowly, then rolled forwards about 30cm before turning the engine off. I often reverse park but do it faster than I had to today. Usually though as soon as I turn off the engine, the car goes in to park and the hand brake is applied automatically. Will definitely be checking from now on though.

I always apply the handbrake, then put into park, before switching off. I wouldn't leave anything to chance.

There is a feature called hill hold assist, and perhaps you have accidentally disabled it by switching it off.

There is a small push button attached to the ‘handbrake’ switch. This needs to be on - red Led on - for it to be activated.

Hill Hold is automatically disabled when you put the car in reverse so you can do slow speed manoeuvres safely

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hill Hold is automatically disabled when you put the car in reverse so you can do slow speed manoeuvres safely

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s also automatically disabled when’s it’s been in the dealership because they always switch it off

As others have said it disengages in reverse. It also behaves differently from my last Audi so I now always put the handbrake in first when parking up (something I never had to do with my last car).

I've had the same experience as OP where I just assumed it automatically applies it as it has done in previous Audi's I've owned so caught me out.

I'm sure there will be some sort of parameters that when met, enable/disable it, but haven't had a chance to mess around with it yet.

In Carista or OBD11, you can enable the handbrake to automatically come on when you switch off the engine. However as others have already stated, for piece of mind best to always put the car in P and manually put on the handbrake BEFORE switching off the engine. It only takes an extra second or two :)

In Carista or OBD11, you can enable the handbrake to automatically come on when you switch off the engine. However as others have already stated, for piece of mind best to always put the car in P and manually put on the handbrake BEFORE switching off the engine. It only takes an extra second or two :)

Completely agree!!! :iagree: