Handing the RS3 back advice

Macdaddy

Reaction score
After advice off anyone that's done this please,

How did you go about it?

We've just spoken to the dealer and explained its now come to the hand it back or replacement car stage as I'm not prepared to keep being messed about by AudiUk with excuse after excuse over brake squeak.

suggest you PM elton121272........ he's been there done that, for what it's worth if you are going ahead with this action be sincere with you're request as I suspect they will take the car back and you're bluff may be called. If you're dead serious then you will get satisfaction, I'm certain of it........ best of luck.

Reactions: Macdaddy

How did you go about it?

We've just spoken to the dealer and explained its now come to the hand it back or replacement car stage as I'm not prepared to keep being messed about by AudiUk with excuse after excuse over brake squeak.

Not really the same, but I nearly had this issue with a brand new Corsa-d over Vauxhall's failed attempts to fix blue smoke on start up.

After they had spent a few thousand on replacing injectors etc multiples times, i just lived with it because it wasn't the worst of problems to deal with.

I did look into handing it back thought, as my girlfriends parents are both partners at solicitor firms. They assured me it was possible as long as the dealer had been given adequate chance to fix the problem. How long have you had the car? Because it seems you have a much higher chance of success if it is less than 6 months old apparently

How old and how many miles?

My understanding is its hard to reject based on squeal as its not a safety hazzard.
But still sale of goods act does cover this under "reasonable quality".

Just get a letter together stating reasons for rejection and dates attempted fixes have beem made and send it to Head of Business at the supplying dealer.

I'm sure a big list of times and dates you called and spoke to some named individual at Audi CS or the dealer to complain would help. Even better if you have letters as evidence. This would show your build up of frustration etc.

If I was in this position I'd look to get help from a consumer car magazine like Whatcar? One of the daily newspapers financial people (they seem to get some great results for people) or one of the online consumer champions like Martin Lewis, again they seem to get things resolved quickly.

Can't help on the hand back.

What will you replace it with?

Can't help on the hand back.

What will you replace it with?

We've been into Audi and explained we are fed up with waiting for a fix, Everytime we mention it its always just around the corner!

We bought the car brand new September 1st, Reported the problem within 500 miles (October iirc)

Spoken to them today about rejecting the car as its a fault that 6 months on is still not sorted..... Frankly an utter embarrassment to drive in town...... I kid you not.

The sales team are calling me tomorrow about what we can replace it with, or indeed if they can source another car.

If theres no RS3 that fits the bill then i'm not sure where we'll go, perhaps RS5 or TTRS at a push.... Rather have another RS3 tho.

We've been into Audi and explained we are fed up with waiting for a fix, Everytime we mention it its always just around the corner!

We bought the car brand new September 1st, Reported the problem within 500 miles (October iirc)

Spoken to them today about rejecting the car as its a fault that 6 months on is still not sorted..... Frankly an utter embarrassment to drive in town...... I kid you not.

The sales team are calling me tomorrow about what we can replace it with, or indeed if they can source another car.

If theres no RS3 that fits the bill then i'm not sure where we'll go, perhaps RS5 or TTRS at a push.... Rather have another RS3 tho.

For the record:

Purchased my RS3: 16th October 2011 (not from an Audi dealer, however)

Reported horrendous brake squeal to local Audi dealer @ 1315 miles: 3rd February 2012

Audi dealer actions to resolve: F**K ALL

Did I then inform Audi UK? YES!

Did I follow up with information to local Audi dealer, and Audi UK? YES!

WHO? Both Stafford Audi and Audi UK; specifically (MD) Martin Sander (how high can you go?) and Craig Westwood

Resulting in? F**K ALL

However, did get a request from Audi UK (December 2012) to inform them of how I'd overcome the brake squeal: so details with photographs and lots of text were sent (December 2012).

Resulting in: would you like to come to Goodwood!!!!!

And the brake squeal? Oh! I still have that! Sometimes, but much reduced by own efforts: NO thanks to Audi UK!!!!

Give me a break here!

Reactions: Macdaddy

Not owned an RS5 but having owned a TT-RS and listening to TT owners think that would be a backward step as you will inherit the same brake squeal problem

Last edited:

Hi MacDaddy,

drop me a PM with email address and I can send you my thoughts/comments. Rest assured though you are legally entitled to challenge Audi UK but you have to present a 'reasonable' case with a verifiable audit trail. Remember if it was your business - your strategy would be to divide and conquer and ultimately not set a precedent that would potentially hit your turnover for hundreds of thousands if not millions of pounds for all UK sales of the same product, no matter it's shelf life!?!

cheers.

Reactions: robbiemac and Macdaddy
Im afriad ttrs have the same issues and putting non oem pads and rotors/bells voids the warrenty ...

Rather have another RS3 tho.

Im confused by this?? Why would you want another RS3 when there is no cure yet. You might as well hang onto the one you've got until the fix happens? Or am I missing something here?

Reactions: CatnipRS3
Im confused by this?? Why would you want another RS3 when there is no cure yet. You might as well hang onto the one you've got until the fix happens? Or am I missing something here?

Fair comment and my choice shouldn't be everyones, but when you buy a new tv or washing machine and its not able to get fixed - you go for replacement or refund - correct? And not a fix when it's under a year old - but you still have a need.....and to be frank there is no other car in the market that ticks all my boxes hence I'm a sucker for another.

Plus Audi still sell them without issuing a Brake Squeal warning so customer rights remain in tact.....therefore if we are all still waiting in 10 years time from now at least I will have a car which has depreciated only from forecourt and ill have had a decade of basically driving a premier brand and model for free - albeit wearing ears muffs at 3mph and under ;-)......where by others will be significantly more hit in the pocket when they Chose to change. It's a heart vs head thing mate and believe me if Audi had a solution in quarter 1 I would have settled, but they didn't and I couldn't accept the terms of their next move so I check mated them!

Cheers.

Recon these hand back rights only stand if you purchased the car from new? Mine was 3 months old and I'm the second owner on my bus. First set of rear discs were fine, they rusted really bad so had them swopped out under warranty and now the new set squeal.

If it get replaced then it'll have to be for a 6 month newer car, perhaps one of the few 13 plates that are still available.

If there's nothing about then I'm tempted to tell them i'll keep the car but they'll need to add buckets?

How did you go about it?

Hi, after a total of 5 times of being at the garage since i bought it new, when i asked for a refund or swap i was told "Yes it's possible, but we're a very long way from that right now". I asked if he had ever swapped a customers car, and he said "No". The electrical issue was my main problem, 'tho the brake squeel drove me nuts as well. It seemed to me that they could not fix the electrical problem so i decided life's too short (and luckily i can afford to take the hit on price).

What really p****d me off was when i asked for the tax disc back after i'd sold it. I know it's only a hundred or so quid, but it was the principal - and what followed confirmed to me that i did the right thing....

I was told i'd have the disc back and could claim the refund when my private plate was back. Cut a long one short, when the time came, he reneged on that (despite showing the car on their website for 5k more than they paid me - as i expected). I complained to the guy who owns the franchise and to Audi UK, as it was a matter of principal not money. Again, to save boring you, i eventually got the disc, but both Audi and the dealership were arragant beyond belief. They clearly sell more than enough cars and only pay lip service to caring about their customers. Given that i usually have 3 or more cars and change one each year or so, they have probably cost themselves, but they won't be losing any sleep i'm sure!

So if i had to go to that much agro just to get a tax disc back, i don't rate my chances on having got a new car out of them!

The other reason i know i made the right decision was that they insisted on taking the car back before month-end so the price didn't drop. They put it on their website but without photos or details and it wasn't on the forecourt (i drive past regularly). It's just gone on Pistonheads (with the stated mileage 700 under the actual) and that's 5 or 6 weeks after they took the car in - so it's taken them all that time to fix the problem (assuming it is actually fixed).

Having said all of the above, i'm sure many of the mass manufacturers (and large dealerships) have the same attitude, but it's the worst experience i've had with a car. Re. the OP i'm not suggesting a replacement car shouldn't be persued, but be prepared for the long haul.

Cheers
Nick

Last edited:
Having complained since 800miles about the brake squeal (now on 2k) Audi York are fitting new brake pads, even though I have explained this will not resolve the issue.... I do hope Audi UK get a move on with the proper fix