Has Anybody Fitted the Wagner Evo 1 Intercooler?

Guys,
Been reading quite a bit about ICs on the forum and feel that I need to fit one to reduce intake temps. Im running MRC stage 1 with 470 HP (on 97RON) and 698NM. The engine is definitely running hotter now than stock. And I know ppl say that you dont need any hardware for stage 1 but I feel it will still compliment the engine set up and help cool things down a little. Im swaying towards the EVO 1 also as I do not want to touch the crash bar and I know I will not be going beyond stage 1. For those who contemplated fitting this unit early in this thread, did you pull the trigger on it and, if so, how has it worked out?
Thanks guys and have a safe and happy Christmas....
With 698 nm on stage one, I think you better look for a more serious IC

Reactions: seventeenapg
With 698 nm on stage one, I think you better look for a more serious IC
Tks, can I ask why you think this? I have been told that no hardware is needed for stage 1. Is there a relationship between torque and intake temps? Thanks and happy new year to everyone...

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I'm having the same dilemma. I'm not looking at more than stage 1 but would feel happier with a better intercooler. I don't want one that needs a modified or US crash bar. I was umming and aaaring between a Wagner evo1 and MRC tune or REVO intercooler and Stage 1 with a TVS DSG map. Both have pros and cons for me.

Whilst I would feel happier with a better intercooler all I can see that it does is delay the car pulling timing to protect itself when it gets heat-soaked after prolonged use or multiple runs. As I am unlikely to do either with this car I probably do not need the intercooler for stage 1 but I think it is nice to have.

Tks, can I ask why you think this? I have been told that no hardware is needed for stage 1. Is there a relationship between torque and intake temps? Thanks and happy new year to everyone...

698nm is stage 2+ territory, so I assume your turbo is working hard and you are running high boost meaning higher temperatures, hence need for better intercooler.

698nm is stage 2+ territory, so I assume your turbo is working hard and you are running high boost meaning higher temperatures, hence need for better intercooler.
Tks, this worries me then. When I went for remapping I knew I would always be happy with a moderate increase in power. I'm not one hankering after the highest numbers I can get. I'm more than happy with the 460 PS running on 97 RON that we have here in NI but I don't know why the torque has to be at such a high level. Is this set separately within the new file that has been installed? What determines the torque? I just don't understand the relationship between torque/boost/power.

I'm having the same dilemma. I'm not looking at more than stage 1 but would feel happier with a better intercooler. I don't want one that needs a modified or US crash bar. I was umming and aaaring between a Wagner evo1 and MRC tune or REVO intercooler and Stage 1 with a TVS DSG map. Both have pros and cons for me.

Whilst I would feel happier with a better intercooler all I can see that it does is delay the car pulling timing to protect itself when it gets heat-soaked after prolonged use or multiple runs. As I am unlikely to do either with this car I probably do not need the intercooler for stage 1 but I think it is nice to have.
The revo setup is nice and would work well alongside their software though if you wanted to keep costs down I would go for the Wagner or the china version and the revo software with TVS and you will certainly be happy.

Tks, this worries me then. When I went for remapping I knew I would always be happy with a moderate increase in power. I'm not one hankering after the highest numbers I can get. I'm more than happy with the 460 PS running on 97 RON that we have here in NI but I don't know why the torque has to be at such a high level. Is this set separately within the new file that has been installed? What determines the torque? I just don't understand the relationship between torque/boost/power.

HP and torque are related, your torque is on the high side for stage 1 though I know mrc and others do push high numbers for stage 1 sometimes. it could also be the dyno over reading a bit as at the end of the day it is just a number outside of a direct comparison before the software and after.
In comparison your hp is lower than most stage 1 imo and this will be mostly because of 97 ron.
Either way an evo 1 would be suitable or if you want a little bigger the revo cooler is a good option without impeding crash safety.

HP and torque are related, your torque is on the high side for stage 1 though I know mrc and others do push high numbers for stage 1 sometimes. it could also be the dyno over reading a bit as at the end of the day it is just a number outside of a direct comparison before the software and after.
In comparison your hp is lower than most stage 1 imo and this will be mostly because of 97 ron.
Either way an evo 1 would be suitable or if you want a little bigger the revo cooler is a good option without impeding crash safety.
Thanks so much. I was worried. It's an MRC stage 1 and the car does run hotter for sure. I was wondering if I should take the car back to them and ask that torque is reduced to maybe max of 600 nm. I mean 698 is a big jump from stock and I'm reading of quite a few getting bent rods and such like. I presume it's the torque that causes this. As I mentioned before I don't mind a moderate increase in power as I'm not a numbers queen

Thanks so much. I was worried. It's an MRC stage 1 and the car does run hotter for sure. I was wondering if I should take the car back to them and ask that torque is reduced to maybe max of 600 nm. I mean 698 is a big jump from stock and I'm reading of quite a few getting bent rods and such like. I presume it's the torque that causes this. As I mentioned before I don't mind a moderate increase in power as I'm not a numbers queen

Yea torque is the killer on these engines as they make it so easy, the 700-750nm mark is the spot that most stick to and don't recommend pushing further, I wouldn't be too concerned especially if you have been running it for a while.

Yea torque is the killer on these engines as they make it so easy, the 700-750nm mark is the spot that most stick to and don't recommend pushing further, I wouldn't be too concerned especially if you have been running it for a while.
Thank you. And I will look into getting the Revo IC as I really don't want to compromise on the OE crash bar. Thanks again for your helpful input

Mine was capped at 700nm.

Was higher initially until the guy that wrote my file (DS1 mind) reduced the max boost in a certain area to avoid trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine was capped at 700nm.

Was higher initially until the guy that wrote my file (DS1 mind) reduced the max boost in a certain area to avoid trouble.

Tks S. Was a bit worried at 698nm. As you know I'm not up to speed with power/torque relationships and their effects on the engine components. I know mine is running hotter and I kind of expected that. I felt an IC would help that's why I asked here. It seems the Revo might be a good bet as I do want to keep or crash bar. Even though noting seems to be required for stage 1 I guess an IC would do no harm.
Happy new year to you and family

Reactions: 8YARWY
Tks S. Was a bit worried at 698nm. As you know I'm not up to speed with power/torque relationships and their effects on the engine components. I know mine is running hotter and I kind of expected that. I felt an IC would help that's why I asked here. It seems the Revo might be a good bet as I do want to keep or crash bar. Even though noting seems to be required for stage 1 I guess an IC would do no harm.

The guys at Dyno spectrum and my file writer said the bigger cooler is the better way forward, I’d already changed way before I mapped the car anyway.

I also used to log my car regular to see if ignition was being pulled on any cylinders.
Luckily it wasn’t when on regular 99 fuel.

I also used to log my car regular to see if ignition was being pulled on any cylinders.
Luckily it wasn’t when on regular 99 fuel.

Well, I've just bought Ross tech vcds to do just that as well. I'm on a steep learning curve

Well guys, just an update for you on the IC I decided on the Revo unit and was more than happy with the kit when I received it. To have the new silicone hoses as well was a bonus; at least thats what I thought. The OE discharge silicone as you will know is softish rubber and convoluted in design whereas the Revo one is a harder silicone, not convoluted, and has a toughened central core. The central core runs the internal length of the pipe then stops to allow for fitting over both flanges. This design means that there is a smooth transfer of air within as there are no ridges to contend with. Now to the issue; both hoses are the same length but the OE hose contracts when fitting even the stock IC into position, seems to me the hoses are longer than the actual physical distance between the hard pipe and the IC. For me at least its therefore impossible to fit the supplied Revo hose as there is absolutely no movement over its length understandably. For the purposes of the picture I refitted the stock IC into position and you can see the very large distance between the IC lugs and the plastic frame to which it is supposed to be bolted to.
The second issue that I have is that the crash bar is touching the seam weld of the Revo IC at the driver side of the car, there is approx a 5mm gap at the passenger side. I have checked and I believe it is fitted correctly. I mean once the IC is bolted tight against the plastic frame there are no other adjustments, right? BTW I did this part with no hoses connected. Did anyone have issues similar when fitting the Revo unit? WHats your thoughts on this ? I welcome your comments and suggestions.

Attachments

• Revo Discharge Silicone.jpg
    Revo Discharge Silicone.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 118
  • CrashBar_Revo.jpg
    CrashBar_Revo.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 112
  • Crash Bar Revo1.jpg
    Crash Bar Revo1.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 127
I had the Revo and pipes fitted along with Forge pipes and a drop in K&N filter. Got it for £800 in the Black Friday sale. The tuner fitted it all and everything was straight forward with no issues with pipes and no crash bar mods needed.

I also had the APR stage 1+ map fitted at the same time. This is designed to work with the intake mods and intercooler, unlike their stage 1. The car produces figures that are almost the same as APR's discontinued stage 2 map.

I rate it highly.

I had the Revo and pipes fitted along with Forge pipes and a drop in K&N filter. Got it for £800 in the Black Friday sale. The tuner fitted it all and everything was straight forward with no issues with pipes and no crash bar mods needed.

I also had the APR stage 1+ map fitted at the same time. This is designed to work with the intake mods and intercooler, unlike their stage 1. The car produces figures that are almost the same as APR's discontinued stage 2 map.

I rate it highly.
Thanks for the info. Interesting that he had no issues. The kit is great, of that there is no doubt but I guess many tuners and garages will make slight adjustments where they think necessary and think nothing of it. Im not saying that this is the case with your tuner by any means. But, as you can see in my situation, I am fitting this myself in my garage and the discharge hose will simply not allow the IC to mate up with the plastic frame. And Im not prepared to fit in spacer washers to the crash bar mounting on one side "to make it fit". If the kit is supposed to be plug and play it should just fit with no issues whatsoever. There should have been adequate tolerances between crash bar and IC at both corners. And the discharge hose should be an exact fit. Maybe Im doing something wrong here which might be glaringly obvious...

Reactions: Leftback
Thanks for the info. Interesting that he had no issues. The kit is great, of that there is no doubt but I guess many tuners and garages will make slight adjustments where they think necessary and think nothing of it. Im not saying that this is the case with your tuner by any means. But, as you can see in my situation, I am fitting this myself in my garage and the discharge hose will simply not allow the IC to mate up with the plastic frame. And Im not prepared to fit in spacer washers to the crash bar mounting on one side "to make it fit". If the kit is supposed to be plug and play it should just fit with no issues whatsoever. There should have been adequate tolerances between crash bar and IC at both corners. And the discharge hose should be an exact fit. Maybe Im doing something wrong here which might be glaringly obvious...
You did better than me attempting it yourself. Might be worth you giving Revo a call for some advice. Maybe Progressive Parts?

You did better than me attempting it yourself. Might be worth you giving Revo a call for some advice. Maybe Progressive Parts?
Tks, yeah will give them a call Monday to see what's what. Here is another pic of the "too long hose". Today, I've taken it all off and reassembled again to see if I was doing anything wrong bit o don't think so. It all either fits together or it doesn't, no middle ground really .
9a5cf1af88bac71d5e105b5a987a4786.jpg

Tks, yeah will give them a call Monday to see what's what. Here is another pic of the "too long hose". Today, I've taken it all off and reassembled again to see if I was doing anything wrong bit o don't think so. It all either fits together or it doesn't, no middle ground really .
9a5cf1af88bac71d5e105b5a987a4786.jpg

Very frustrating. I hope they get you sorted soon

I hope you sort it out, I was looking into purchasing a Revo intercooler myself, but will hold for now.

I hope you sort it out, I was looking into purchasing a Revo intercooler myself, but will hold for now.
Will let you know. The kit is nice for sure but there should be an equal gap both sides between it and crash bar AND the hose should be of a size that allows the IC to bolt up against the plastic frame. Will talk to Revo in morning and update here....

Reactions: Evolution_Roy
I see there is a second hand Revo cooler and pipes for sale on eBay if anyone is looking

Will let you know. The kit is nice for sure but there should be an equal gap both sides between it and crash bar AND the hose should be of a size that allows the IC to bolt up against the plastic frame. Will talk to Revo in morning and update here....

Did you have any luck with getting some advice from Revo?

Did you have any luck with getting some advice from Revo?
They are sending me out a new silicone hose for the discharge size just in case I have the wrong one. No comment yet on the rubbing issue on crash bar. Will let you know when I receive the new hose.

They just dont know. I received a new silicone pipe today and its just the same. They say their hoses are correct to engineering drawings but Im not convinced. Of course you could fit their hose and connect everything up BUT , on doing so, the IC lugs and bottom joint will be about 20mm away from the car. You can use force to bring them together but serious force in my books that could ultimately lead to failure of the Audi hard discharge pipe or the IC side tank. I am not prepared to take that chance. I am now waiting for further feedback.

Reactions: Evolution_Roy and Leftback
They just dont know. I received a new silicone pipe today and its just the same. They say their hoses are correct to engineering drawings but Im not convinced. Of course you could fit their hose and connect everything up BUT , on doing so, the IC lugs and bottom joint will be about 20mm away from the car. You can use force to bring them together but serious force in my books that could ultimately lead to failure of the Audi hard discharge pipe or the IC side tank. I am not prepared to take that chance. I am now waiting for further feedback.
Did you manage to solve the issue? I am also considering this IC, so looking forward to hear how it went for you :)

Did you manage to solve the issue? I am also considering this IC, so looking forward to hear how it went for you :)
I didn't. I sent it back to them yesterday Roy. The silicone pipe they sent was the same size. I did a measurement from end flange on hard discharge pipe to end flange on both OE and Revo IC flange as you see in picture. They did same on another RS3 they had in workshop and told me theirs is longer by over 20mm. This ties in with their silicone being too long. They say my car is outside of OE tolerances. I bought car new and it's never been hit. How could this be?
And their pipe is a solid pipe with a strengthened core so when fitted there is little room for compression anyway. The OE pipe, and that of other suppliers, is convoluted and wire wound.
847c1ea76887ae590e09100c6e5ebe6d.jpg

At some point, if you could see your way to taking this same measurement for me I would greatly appreciate it. Or indeed any other owner who could do it.
Whilst it's not scientific it does give a guide. I took measurement from the back end flange on both pieces and gave me a measurement of approx 280 mm. Revo said the measurement on their RS3 was 300 mm. My car was manufactured in Feb '18 DAZA. It just don't know how this can be.....

At some point, if you could see your way to taking this same measurement for me I would greatly appreciate it. Or indeed any other owner who could do it.
Whilst it's not scientific it does give a guide. I took measurement from the back end flange on both pieces and gave me a measurement of approx 280 mm. Revo said the measurement on their RS3 was 300 mm. My car was manufactured in Feb '18 DAZA. It just don't know how this can be.....

Sorry to hear, I thought it was a good kit that I should order so not so sure anymore. Thanks for sharing.
I will take the measurement as soon as I get to doing the IC. Mine is also an 18 DAZA.

Sorry to hear, I thought it was a good kit that I should order so not so sure anymore. Thanks for sharing.
I will take the measurement as soon as I get to doing the IC. Mine is also an 18 DAZA.
It is a good piece of kit. This seems an isolated incident? When I had mine fitted, I was told all was straight forward. There is someone from Revo on this forum who comments on posts but hasn't on this one? Let's hope someone gets to the bottom of it or Revo could lose some sales.

@Leftback , I'm not sure. I just refuse to believe that my car has a shorter distance between the plastic locator frame and the engine. End flange measurement on mine is 280 mm and on another RS3, checked by Revo, 300 mm. And this is exactly why I could not get the Revo IC to bolt up correctly in my car. Had I used the stock OE discharge silicone then it would have worked but I was not prepared to make this compromise as there was still the rubbing issue.
@Evolution_Roy , I have now fitted the Wagner Evo1 and it was a pleasure to work with. The unit is of comparable quality to the Revo unit and it fitted utilising the stock silicone pipes. I'm of course unsure of performance in comparison to the Revo but I guess it will still be better than stock.

One question I do have after fitting though, should I go back to MRC and get on there dyno to check everything is running as it should now that I've changed IC?

Attachments

• PXL_20220209_161903349.jpg
    PXL_20220209_161903349.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 84
@Leftback , I'm not sure. I just refuse to believe that my car has a shorter distance between the plastic locator frame and the engine. End flange measurement on mine is 280 mm and on another RS3, checked by Revo, 300 mm. And this is exactly why I could not get the Revo IC to bolt up correctly in my car. Had I used the stock OE discharge silicone then it would have worked but I was not prepared to make this compromise as there was still the rubbing issue.
@Evolution_Roy , I have now fitted the Wagner Evo1 and it was a pleasure to work with. The unit is of comparable quality to the Revo unit and it fitted utilising the stock silicone pipes. I'm of course unsure of performance in comparison to the Revo but I guess it will still be better than stock.

One question I do have after fitting though, should I go back to MRC and get on there dyno to check everything is running as it should now that I've changed IC?
No need to go back, as long as the hoses are snug and not leaking you are all good.

I'm sure the Wagner will be perfect for your set up. If stage one was a generic map with MRC then I guess all would be ok. If it was a custom tune, you would no doubt get more bhp/torque from a map tweak as the intake temps are now much lower. Just give them a quick call.