HAS ANYONE ENCOUNTERED THE ABS PUMP FAULTS/ BRAKE PEDAL SENSOR PROBLEMS WITH THEIR A3

marnie2k

Reaction score
hi guys im just looking for some info to see if anyone has had the same problems i am having with my a3 regarding the abs pump > brake pedal sensor faulty? and in doing so having the replace their abs pump? i want to know during this fault will it bring light bulb warning lights on whilst driving? thanks anthony

I know brake pedal sensors have been known to fail but I dont know if this puts the brake warning light on.

What actual light is on?
Are the brakes fine? Does the ABS work?
I take it you dont have a diagnostic lead?

hi, no what it is is the traction control light is on and about 5 people who i have spoken to have told me it is a abs pump fault and a common thing on a3's. i cant remember the exact fault it says on vag i think it comes up with "brake pressure switch" or "brake pedal sensor" something on those lines. basically ive been told to either get a new pump and have it fitted and programmed or get my pump re-conditioned, which i will do but it is expensive either option. i also have a constant fault on my bulb warning system saying "tailight bulb out" or something on those lines but that has been there since i got the car with this traction control light on. i was hoping some one could shine some light on this matter if they have had this fixed them selves or what is the best thing to do? i really need some help with this as it is ruining my car :( thanks guys please help me ...

oh and to add the abs is working fine and so is the traction control thanks again

Last edited:
my mate had a problem with his abs pump and that made the traction light come on and stay on.???

Had my audi A3 diagnosed with the same problem. ESP light became permanently illuminated on dash. Thought nothing of it but nearly passed out when they did the diagnostic on it and said the ABS pump needed replacing at a cost in excess of £1000. The fault code was 'brake pressure sender 1 - g201'. Went home and started researching that fault code. Turns out the pump fitted in A3's 2004-2008 is prone to failing. It's the same pump fitted in VW Golfs, VW Tourans, SEAT Alteas, SEAT Toledos, SEAT Leons, Skoda Octavias, BMW 1 Series, BMW 3 Series, Volvo S30s, Volvo V50s, Mazda 3s and Mazda 5s. Many effected customers have had 'goodwill' offers to help cover the cost of the repair either partially or in full. How much you get back depends on vehicle age, mileage, where purchased and serviced and any other variable they can make up as a potential get out clause.

Armed with this info i approached my local Audi dealership who point blank claimed they had never heard of this problem. However a week later i was offered 50% goodwill for this supposed uncommon problem. I've refused this and and am in the process of battling it out with Audi UK. I don't see why i should have to pay anything towards their mistake of fitting A3's with sub-standard parts. Incidentally Audi UK are also claiming they have never heard of this fault. Be under no illusion this thing is huge. Check out some of these links to get a feel for what is going on and don't let Audi muck you around - which they will. Incidentally my car is only 4 years old, 50,000 miles on the clock and bought and serviced within the Audi group.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...owards-VW-Touran-ABS-control-unit-faults.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradvice/honestjohn/7767705/VW-pushing-me-to-braking-point.html
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/auctions/2010-02/auction-values-of-bmw-1-series-set-to-drop
http://www.ecutesting.com/audi_a3_abs_pump_fault_1k06145.html
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=66972
http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/153853-honest-johns-take-on-esp-problems/page__st__40

This is just a snapshot of some of the stuff on the web. There is also a facebook page for VW Golf MK5's with the ESP fault- worth joining aswell. It's the same component just different car. Good luck getting it sorted.

I have it on my 07 Leon FR.

I am going to get my unit reconditioned through bba-reman or ecu testing.com

I have just got myself some Vag Com software and cable but want to know if anyone has had experience in recoding the reconditioned unit when it's fixed?
Is it easy to do, I have been quoted £30 to have it done by an inde (recode only) and 2 hours labour (about £135)
Reconditioned unit is about £350.

Hi, my Audi A3 had the same problem. Took it to a local Audi dealer for service, MOT, and got a call to say it was going to cost me £1,500.00 in all. After I picked myself off the floor, I heard him telling me that my ABS sensor had gone and they couldn't replace the sensor, they had to replace the whole unit. I have since heard of many people suffering the same problem. I paid the money, however I'm considering contacting Audi to see what they say. They are denying that it is a common fault.

Good luck, Seat don't want to contribute towards mine.

Please just buy a brake pedal switch for about 15 pounds first. This throws the same code. Very easy to change under on top off the brake pedal.

Hi,

My ESP light has been on for a couple of weeks now, car went in for a service yesterday. The disagnostics came back saying "Break + Pressure Sensor 1" is faulty. Garage seemed to think Audi had an outstanding recall regarding this however, after speaking to Audi they advised the opposite.

I've been advised that in order for this to be repaired is going to cost £900+

Audi also want to run the diagnostics themseleves even though I've provided the error code etc... which will cost another £75... (I don't think so!)

Anyone had any further luck with Audi paying out?

I bought my car with this fault on it. I happened to be up north for a meeting so drove my car to volksmaster in oldham. They advertised on ebay. They do a mail order exchange but i just drove in and had it swapped for £350. Solved that fault.

Unfortunately didn't turn the traction control light out as i also had a haldex fault. £300 later and all is now well.

I had this problem on my last car a Volvo S40, got the dreaded "anti-skid service" message on the dash, as all the comments above got told I need a full replacemnt ABS module at £1300, car had a warranty so wasn't an issue for me. However having done some research the module can be separated from the pump and can be reconditioned. I saw prices around the £60 mark and a 2 day turnaround there are even adverts on ebay. Don't take it as gospel but on the Volvo it was 4 screws to separate the unit and you could still drive your car only thing was you didn't have any ABS. In theory because you are refitting the same module that came off your car there was no recoding required either. Only quoting what I've read and been told so not in any way suggesting that it would be safe to drive your car without it.

Alan

Had my audi A3 diagnosed with the same problem. ESP light became permanently illuminated on dash. Thought nothing of it but nearly passed out when they did the diagnostic on it and said the ABS pump needed replacing at a cost in excess of �1000. The fault code was 'brake pressure sender 1 - g201'. Went home and started researching that fault code. Turns out the pump fitted in A3's 2004-2008 is prone to failing. It's the same pump fitted in VW Golfs, VW Tourans, SEAT Alteas, SEAT Toledos, SEAT Leons, Skoda Octavias, BMW 1 Series, BMW 3 Series, Volvo S30s, Volvo V50s, Mazda 3s and Mazda 5s. Many effected customers have had 'goodwill' offers to help cover the cost of the repair either partially or in full. How much you get back depends on vehicle age, mileage, where purchased and serviced and any other variable they can make up as a potential get out clause.

Armed with this info i approached my local Audi dealership who point blank claimed they had never heard of this problem. However a week later i was offered 50% goodwill for this supposed uncommon problem. I've refused this and and am in the process of battling it out with Audi UK. I don't see why i should have to pay anything towards their mistake of fitting A3's with sub-standard parts. Incidentally Audi UK are also claiming they have never heard of this fault. Be under no illusion this thing is huge. Check out some of these links to get a feel for what is going on and don't let Audi muck you around - which they will. Incidentally my car is only 4 years old, 50,000 miles on the clock and bought and serviced within the Audi group.

Honest John: VAG pays towards VW Touran ABS control unit faults - Telegraph
VW pushing me to braking point - Telegraph
Auction Values of BMW 1 Series Set To Drop | Motoring News | Honest John
Audi A3 ABS Pump Module - ECU Testing
Volkswagen Golf V (2004 - 2008) - 05 1.6 ESP Light On Continuously | Technical matters | Back Room Forum | Honest John
Honest Johns take on ESP problems - BRISKODA.net - Page 3 - The Skoda Forum and Community

This is just a snapshot of some of the stuff on the web. There is also a facebook page for VW Golf MK5's with the ESP fault- worth joining aswell. It's the same component just different car. Good luck getting it sorted.

Thanks for posting this info...
been hit with a £1530 bill!
ABS Pump/Sensor is knackered
Oil Leak in or around mainfold & a CAM belt change.

Funnily having a chat with my mate who is a mechanic about seeing this issue a few times, the company that they use to repair the ABS uses an external pressure sensor to repair the fault which is wired onto the ABS ECU to replace the built in one which fails.

See Audi A3 and S3 / Skoda Octavia 2005 / VW Golf 2005 / Touran P/N : 1K0614517H for info.

Paul
That's exactly how it's done, and it works much better than the factory setup. Could you get me that repair company's info, or maybe your body could assist me with having my unit fixed? Would be much appreciated.

nothing to do with the brake light switch.
this is a common thing. we've had a a couple of tourans/mk5 golfs. brake fluid pressure sender integral to the pump fails. you know this cus on checking the actual value it reads 215odd bar without the pedal even being pressed. whereas obviously it should read 0 and a varing pressure reading depending on how hard you press the pedal.

each time we have removed the unit and sent it off to a company for repair at around the £300 mark.
the cars have not come back, so id call them fixed!

mine is gone scanned the car and its saying "brake pressure switch" so its a new/reconed unit for my car as the traction control light is on , I've got till sept to get it sorted anyway for the mot , all caused by a new rear calliper fitted by someone who didn't know how to bleed the system properly