Has anyone facelifted an S3 with matrix headlights?

lakers1234

Reaction score
Hi all

I have a 2015 Audi s3 saloon and I am facelifting it to a 2017 onwards spec

Now I am on the front end at the moment, and I have realised that Loom and plug isn’t long enough to reach the socket on the headlights as on the facelift headlights, the plug is on the outer rear part of the headlight and on the pre facelift it’s on the inner. Anyway that wouldn’t have been an issue as I could have just extended the wiring with a simple cut and extend.

My problem seems to be a bit more than that, yet could be something simple, someone on here may know.

The pre-facelift S3 had Matrix LED headlights fitted from factory. The facelift headlights I’m trying to put in are also matrix, however when I plug them in, only the full beam works. Dipped beam LEDS don’t work, indicators don’t work, high full beam or flash doesn’t work. Anyone have any ideas. Upon looking at the wiring from the car loom into the plug and the wiring that goes to the headlights (luckily, I bought the headlights from a breaker who was kind enough to leave the plugs on the facelift headlights with some wiring), it is a little bit different from pFL TO FL

But surely they should work, both being matrix?

The PFL didn't come with Matrix LED lights they only came on the FL

PFL LED and FL LED Matrix are two very very different things. Are you sure you have FL matrix or are they just LED? If matrix then get ready for a massive job retrofitting these to work correctly. You are gonna need to adjust the wiring, replace control modules and possibly install a new one depending on the specification of your car, together with additional level sensors (specification dependent again). You are then gonna need to code everything in (that’s putting it very simply) and lastly will need to calibrate via special light board and laser equipment.

May the force be with you...

Reactions: T-800
I thought they were only available on the Facelift cars..... They can be identified by the fact they have 3 squares not 2 like the normal LED headlights

FACELIFT Matrix LED
From a MY 2017 car with factory Matrix LED
IMG 5805

Reactions: Jassyo06 and lakers1234
PFL LED and FL LED Matrix are two very very different things. Are you sure you have FL matrix or are they just LED? If matrix then get ready for a massive job retrofitting these to work correctly. You are gonna need to adjust the wiring, replace control modules and possibly install a new one depending on the specification of your car, together with additional level sensors (specification dependent again). You are then gonna need to code everything in (that’s putting it very simply) and lastly will need to calibrate via special light board and laser equipment.

May the force be with you...

I’ve definitely got facelift Matrix headlights.

I’ve checked the part numbers and when I did a parts check they are Matrix headlights.

And they are exactly the same as yours @jrumball . (Thank you for the picture )

@DJAlix , so if I’ve got the Matrix headlights, and had the PFL LED (RS3) headlights before, would I have more of a chance of pulling the conversion off if I just sold the Matrix headlights and bought some LED FL headlights?

I’ve definitely got facelift Matrix headlights.

I’ve checked the part numbers and when I did a parts check they are Matrix headlights.

And they are exactly the same as yours @jrumball . (Thank you for the picture )

@DJAlix , so if I’ve got the Matrix headlights, and had the PFL LED (RS3) headlights before, would I have more of a chance of pulling the conversion off if I just sold the Matrix headlights and bought some LED FL headlights?
Still a fair amount of works involved but yes, offload the matrix lights and try to find standard LEDs.

Just an FYI: this is the full extent of my advise on the subject. As a business I don’t get involved in headlight retrofits as it’s just not worth my time.

Reactions: KenL
Thread revival . Has anyone done this mod yet? Does anyone know someone in the Midlands who can do this coding for me?

the car has PRE FL Led headlights as shown above and It's ready to be facelifted now. Which headlights should I buy for it, for it to be a bit more straight forward

thanks

Hi I am trying to do the same thing and have facelift headlights and just took it to local independent who had it for two days and did nothing, it had to be possible people on here have had it done, have you had any luck?

I've had no luck as of yet, but hopefully trying to get in contact with useful people that have

I'm doing this to my car next month, I'm from Birmingham... did you manage to get it completed fella?

Reactions: lakers1234
Forget FL matrix, you'll need new windshield etc and it's a huge job... Everyone here just went with regular LED, lots of wire splicing and need new BCM or you won't have front hazard lights without ignition. You really need someone who knows what he's doing for the job, it's not as straight forward as you would think...

Thread revival.
If you’re anywhere near Leeds, there is a retrofitter called Leeds audi retrofits and they have done 3 cars from normal LED to matrix LED. Albeit, these cars had the lane assist camera already installed.

They’ve done pan roof retrofits, full facelift conversions, all sorts of stuff.

Reactions: lakers1234
Thread revival.
If you’re anywhere near Leeds, there is a retrofitter called Leeds audi retrofits and they have done 3 cars from normal LED to matrix LED. Albeit, these cars had the lane assist camera already installed.

They’ve done pan roof retrofits, full facelift conversions, all sorts of stuff.
Could you provide a link please?

Forget FL matrix, you'll need new windshield etc and it's a huge job... Everyone here just went with regular LED, lots of wire splicing and need new BCM or you won't have front hazard lights without ignition. You really need someone who knows what he's doing for the job, it's not as straight forward as you would think...
can you please help me I have s3 pre-facelift 8v and I have put facelift LED on the original lights I Took the module and put on to new lights all the light work Apart from Day running lights so I have bought dlr module still not working please help me out don’t know what to do next

Last edited:
can you please help me I have s3 pre-facelift 8v and I have put facelift LED on the original lights I Took the module and put on to new lights all the light work Apart from Day running lights so I have bought dlr module still not working please help me out don’t know what to do next

Where are you based? I have a guy in Leeds called Tom who has done many prefl to fl conversions. Leeds vag retrofits, look them up on Facebook. He has just retrofitted matrix lights to my fl rs3.

Thank you very much I am based in London but my cousin lives in Leeds I’m going to look them up on Facebook now looks like I’m going to Leeds thanks again really appreciate it

Thank you very much I am based in London but my cousin lives in Leeds I’m going to look them up on Facebook now looks like I’m going to Leeds thanks again really appreciate it

wouldn't bother yet he isn’t open for the next 2 weeks due to the virus lol

Never thought of that I have messaged him on Facebook I’ve just got my car working properly thanks again mate

I'm doing this to my car next month, I'm from Birmingham... did you manage to get it completed fella?

Yes. I am from Birmingham and know of 2-3 places in Bham that do it. I know of a guy in Bradford that does it, and now also Leeds.

I ended up getting it done back in December.

My car is now completely facelifted. It's a 2015 model, with a private plate so looks like a 2017+ model, you wouldn't be able to tell, unless obviously you really know your stuff and start paying attention to gearbox types, part number stickers with dates on them etc lol

Nice one mate will try the guys in Leeds how much did they charge you?

Hi all

I have a 2015 Audi s3 saloon and I am facelifting it to a 2017 onwards spec

Now I am on the front end at the moment, and I have realised that Loom and plug isn’t long enough to reach the socket on the headlights as on the facelift headlights, the plug is on the outer rear part of the headlight and on the pre facelift it’s on the inner. Anyway that wouldn’t have been an issue as I could have just extended the wiring with a simple cut and extend.

My problem seems to be a bit more than that, yet could be something simple, someone on here may know.

The pre-facelift S3 had Matrix LED headlights fitted from factory. The facelift headlights I’m trying to put in are also matrix, however when I plug them in, only the full beam works. Dipped beam LEDS don’t work, indicators don’t work, high full beam or flash doesn’t work. Anyone have any ideas. Upon looking at the wiring from the car loom into the plug and the wiring that goes to the headlights (luckily, I bought the headlights from a breaker who was kind enough to leave the plugs on the facelift headlights with some wiring), it is a little bit different from pFL TO FL

But surely they should work, both being matrix?
Have you retrofitted Matrix led ?

Would also know how much matrix cost you. Would be interested in retrofitting to my FL.

I have retrofitted myself.
It cost me 2300£,
Including Front Camera +windshield change.
BCM- +Front & rear suspension sensor+ Matrix led Module -1000£