Has anyone upgraded their stereo?

Baka

Reaction score
Hi guys, has anyone upgraded their standard stereo? Did changing the head unit improve the sound markedly?

I've got the Concert stereo in my B7 and it's pretty terrible.

I'll do the speakers too if necessary, just wondering if the crap sound can be improved just with a aftermarket head unit? Its almost like if you didn't have to butcher the EQ to try and get rid of the MASSIVE mid bass hump, it would sound okay.

Thanks! :)

i have the concert 2 in my avant with the full bose setup and as much as i would like to change it, the sound quality is excellent even at high volume levels so from that point of view i wouldnt change it.

I had the Audi Symphony 2 in my car with Bose, the sound was good with no real issues, I've since changed to an RNSE Mk2 which did make the sound slightly better but there isn't a lot in it tbh

Reactions: dimitar.tuntov.5
Sorry I should have said, I've got the non Bose system. So you have better amps, amped fronts, a sub and no mid bass hump, over my set up.

You guys liking your set ups does point to the speakers being of a decent quality though (if they are the same drivers between Bose and non Bose?), which is good!

How would you know if you have a Bose set up? I don't think I have in mine but it's pretty good sound wise.

normally speakers have Bose logo on the covers, but thats not allways the case.

normally speakers have Bose logo on the covers, but thats not allways the case.

Mine are plain. I am almost certain it had a standard stereo. It might just be me! Not a music head so to speak. The boy has just fitted an I pad to his bmw. Looks cool but would be a waste for me. Happy with the standard kit.

I've got non Bose setup in my avant
Changed to a android headunit and it's well improved the sound
Better eq on the aftermarket headunit
Plus get satnav,sd card music and BT phone

I've got non Bose setup in my avant
Changed to a android headunit and it's well improved the sound
Better eq on the aftermarket headunit
Plus get satnav,sd card music and BT phone

What head unit did you go for

Xtrons from eBay
Beware you'll need an additional Hilo converter to get rear speakers to work about £5

Thanks guys, cheers sline29, sounds like an aftermarket head unit might be just the job.

Xtrons from eBay
Beware you'll need an additional Hilo converter to get rear speakers to work about £5

thats if you only have half bose system mate, if you got full bose you'll maybe need to do what i had to and put ground loop isolators in line with the amp signal outs.

heres my afternarket cd player
I have
Compatible for
Bluteeth sat nav reverse camera external usb (connects to the back and lead is fed into my glove box) subwoofa dab radio
Can also watch dvds on it.

Think i have only the standard speakers
They sound ok but they need changing as they are starting to crackle
Collage 2015 11 05 07 45 53
Collage 2016 03 01 07 52 14
Collage 2015 12 30 18 22 00

Reactions: Baka
Do you have to do much modding to the wiring to get the likes of pioneer and kenwood working with Bose setup?

one harness for 35 quid odd and boom all done. full can bus integration etc.

I'm having a kenwood multi media unit fitted tomorrow so I can play music from my phone or usb stick.

Wow that good to hear, any problems? Do you have Bose?

yeh mate i got full bose, had to install 2 ground loop isolator's in the signal wires to the amp to get rid of the alternator whine (interference through speakers) but all is ok now, i will say though mate you should download power amp to play your tunes through as the equaliser in the unit is pants, it sounds 100 % better through power amp.

Tony what is the power amp download you refer to above? Thanks

Tony which unit did you buy? Is it the dual or quad core one?

I bought mine from a company called iceboxauto in Liverpool mate if it helps

Tony what is the power amp download you refer to above? Thanks

hello mate, power amp is basically an app you can down load onto the head unit to play all your tunes through, it has a better sound set up on it so the music sounds better than the stock app on the unit, you can down load power amp from google play store

Tony which unit did you buy? Is it the dual or quad core one?

dani, i got the quad core one mate from same place as the lad above, ice box audio in Liverpool, the lads in there are really helpful if you need any info on the unit. i went for that one off them as it was easier to get support if needed from a uk company.

Sound thanks mate. Did you buy through eBay or are they online?

Thanks Tony

Buy 4m website Dani slightly cheaper as they don't have 2 pay eBay fees.

Reactions: Dani_B19
Tony the track up/down on MFSW doesn't work for me on power amp is yours the same? Thanks for making me aware of it though works really well.

Tony the track up/down on MFSW doesn't work for me on power amp is yours the same? Thanks for making me aware of it though works really well.

yes mate mine dose the same, it works if you use the head units music player though.

I was with Symphony with Bose stereo and upgrade with Mk2 Rns-E - I have bluetooth Oem so now i have Sat/nav with 2015 disc with 7 digit postcode , Telephone and Sd cards with 64Gb music ... can't go wrong !

Reactions: Euans2
What's the Rns-e out of dimitar? How much was it to fit it all?

I was with Symphony with Bose stereo and upgrade with Mk2 Rns-E - I have bluetooth Oem so now i have Sat/nav with 2015 disc with 7 digit postcode , Telephone and Sd cards with 64Gb music ... can't go wrong !

The 2015 disk makes a big difference doesn't it, actually being able to find addresses with the 7 digit postcode feature, why the hell did it take them this long to sort it out lol

What's the Rns-e out of dimitar? How much was it to fit it all?

I have a very similar setup, my Mk2 was sourced by NHN, it was originally from an A3 then had the faceplate conversion to fit the A4 (the Mk2 wasn't made for the B7 unless you opt for the Seat branded one) price wise, it's not a cheap system (I've seen them go for between £400 and £700) and it doesn't do half as much as what some of the aftermarket systems do but that's the price you pay for keeping it OE, me personally, I love the MK2 and it does all I need it to do and is perfectly integrated with the car

Reactions: dimitar.tuntov.5