Hatchback vs Sedan! What to buy?

A3SBQ

A3 SportBack 2TFSI quattro DSG
Reaction score
Hi all.
Happy holidays.
Looking to buy an RS3 next year. But can't decide which one to buy.
Can you help highlight pros and cons on whether to go for hothatch or sedan RS3?

Thanks for your thoughts...

Sent fra min SM-N975F via Tapatalk

Hi all.
Happy holidays.
Can you help highlight pros and cons on whether to go for hothatch or sedan RS3?

saloon is 5kg heavier. The rear of the saloon doesn’t get as dirty because there’s no vortex under the car like a sportback makes.

The rest is personal preference...

Reactions: Riko0073 and A3SBQ
I was always a hatch fan but ended up with a sedan this time which is now my preference.
The sedan feels a bit more grown up and I now prefer the styling.
Practical point of view it runs a slightly wider track so may handle a little better.
The hatch is great if you need to carry bulky stuff in the back, with seats down it a much better load carrier than the really narrow access boot on the sedan. This could be the clincher if you had to carry something like a large pram in the back.
I believe the hatch has more headroom in the back seat.
Other than that it's just styling preference.

Reactions: A3SBQ
Thanks guys.
Sorry for the mix up on sedan vs saloon
I like the Saloon better in form of style. It gives it more special feel over the hatchback.
The interior is not anything great in this cars so feel the Saloon gives you more.
The loading capability worries me a bit, but have a Skoda Superb 3 wagon as a family cruiser with the AWD and 2.0TSI 280HP DSG version for that job if needed

A friend of mine has just bought a 2018 TTRS. And that interior is mint. But with 2 boys I really need the rear seats and doors...

I did not know that the Saloon has a wider track! Is that at the rear only? Or on all front and rear axles?
Again thanks for the inputs...

I had an S3 saloon and have to say it was such a beautiful car.

Have an RS3 Sportback now as needed the practicality of the boot having 2 dogs and just fancied the hatch this time after having the S3.

As has been mentioned saloon is slightly heavier but you can probably hear the exhaust more on the SB model with the enclosed boot of the saloon.

saloon is 5kg heavier. The rear of the saloon doesn’t get as dirty because there’s no vortex under the car like a sportback makes.

The rest is personal preference...
Definitely noticed the dirt more on the SB rear!

Hi all.
Happy holidays.

Tell us what colour first.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Tell us what colour first.

These are the colors I like best and see the most here in Norway

Daytona Grey
Ara Blue (Hard to find)
Nardo Grey
Black (not my first option due to the fact that it is hard to keep clean)

Daytona Grey
Ara Blue (Hard to find)
Nardo Grey

Great colours!

Nardo for SB
Ara for Saloon
Daytona either
Black for the brave with trying to keep it clean!!

Black pack on all though.

Just my personal opinion.

Good luck finding the right car for you mate.

Reactions: FBF01, Luiggi and A3SBQ
Sedan is much nicer - Looks a bit like the old RS4 B7

Reactions: royalsteve68 and A3SBQ
Each looks can look better than the other depending on the spec of the car..

That's what I've noticed with the RS3 8V.. so I'd go for the best colour and spec combination you can find and take it from there.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Daytona Grey
Ara Blue (Hard to find)
Nardo Grey

Is are blue hard to find. I’ve seen a small number of rs3 and the most common colour has been are blue

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had an S3 saloon and have to say it was such a beautiful car.

Have an RS3 Sportback now as needed the practicality of the boot having 2 dogs and just fancied the hatch this time after having the S3.

As has been mentioned saloon is slightly heavier but you can probably hear the exhaust more on the SB model with the enclosed boot of the saloon.

Don’t think 5kg makes any difference

Is are blue hard to find. I’ve seen a small number of rs3 and the most common colour has been are blue

I live in Norway. So the selection might be different...

Daytona Grey
Ara Blue (Hard to find)
Nardo Grey

I have a Daytona sportback.
I'd choose black for a saloon. Yes it's harder to keep clean but when it's clean it looks amazing.

Don’t think 5kg makes any difference

Totally agree but just stating fact.

It’s purely down to personal choice, I think the saloon looks lovely but the SB offers the practicality of a hatchback and still looks amazing, whichever the OP buys I’m sure they’ll be happy but spec will be the most important, I test drove an ara blue saloon but non sport edition and just didn’t look right, colour and spec makes the difference but of course down to personal choice.

Saloons are faster like for like, due to that aero mentioned above.

Saloon has a lower roof line by 46mm over the Hatch which might contribute to the more desirable aesthetics. If you are considering wheels and lowering down the track, IMO the sedan looks better than the Hatch with these mods. I ended up with a Nardo Sedan with black pack...no regrets. :)
FB IMG 1576919863386

Reactions: Terminator x and A3SBQ
Saloon has a lower roof line by 46mm over the Hatch which might contribute to the more desirable aesthetics. If you are considering wheels and lowering down the track, IMO the sedan looks better than the Hatch with these mods. I ended up with a Nardo Sedan with black pack...no regrets. :)
View attachment 196394

Nice wheel setup, mate. What's the specs on those??

Nice wheel setup, mate. What's the specs on those??

Cheers.
BC Forged RZ22 - F: 19 x 9.5 ET42, R: 19 x 9.5 ET45 - Dark Brushed Black
Running Nitto Invo 255/30

No issues. Keep in mind that it's not technically square as the varied offset front to rear keeps the wider track at the front.

This setup is confirmed to work with MPS4S as a friend has these fitted, although he runs a slightly more aggressive offset F:40 R:43, so if anything, my setup is a tad safer. :thumbs up:

View attachment 196394

Learn something new everyday, 46mm is quite a difference!

View attachment 196394
Looks wide as hell at the back! Think Nardo looks ace in both versions. Has to have the black styling pack. Nardo and chrome looks bad.

Reactions: Riko0073 and Terminator x