Have Grinding noise in front when I accelerate. Transfer Case ?

Reaction score
Hade a problem with the car about 2 weeks ago, it had a bang under the car and it was like the car was on the brakes, it was hard to move, had it towed to Audi workshop but the didnt find any problem, and the test drived it and the it worked fine for a week and now this Grinding noise appered. Now I will to try to fixit my self!

I think it is the transfercase is going bad?. When i turn the propshaft(axel to rear diff) I notice a sound like it something loose in in the TC, like a small metal object(ballbearing?) drops in the case by the connection to axel (to rear diff). But there is no play on the axels on the TC.

Have any one changed the transfercase? Would be nice with some tips/trix how to remove it. Figuered out it has 4 bolts with 6mm hex . Seen that there is a 6mm vwtool that is 355mm long with 6mm hex, (I will build the tool my self.)
Guess I need to remove hole CV-axel too on passager side?

Does it slide out from the passagerside or need to lower/lift engine?
Can not find any Workshop Manual for the Quattro modell. ( I have a A3 2011 2.0 tdi Quattro)

I had to replace mine earlier this year, I'll ask my mate who did the work if he can remember how he removed it.

He sent me a detailed description of what he did, I hope this helps:
You need to Jack up car .remove both front wheels. Then unbolt the outer suspension arm ball joints both sides only need to remove the end 3 bolts no need to take off from hub .pull down suspension arm to release with a big pry bar both sides. Then you need to unbolt the spline head bolts the hold the driveshaft to the gearbox think they were M10 spline and there are 6 each side I think. No need to take shaft out completely just the inner bolts .then pull out of way .next you need a very long M6 Allen head socket I used a 1/4 drive ratchet with lots of extensions to undo a bolt that's up the middle of passenger or drivers side driveshaft (can't remember which side, double check) holds the spline shaft in the gearbox from transfer box .can be tight and you may need to lock it .what I did was stick a Philips head screwdriver through one of driveshaft holes and lock it against the gearbox housing .then you need to go under car and remove the 2 bolts on the bottom of the transfer box best way is a 8 mm ball end Allen socket 3/8 drive so you can do it at a angle .then drain engine oil as there is a metal braided pipe that comes out the engine that's held on with 2 spline head bolts I think M8 spline. You need to remove these 2 bolts to release the pipe and allow it to move. then. there is a bracket at the back of the engine between transfer box that needs to come off 3 bolts I think it was very tight and awkward to do .then wiggle it out next go up top and you will need engine cover off down the back of engine you will see a driveshaft going in the back of transfer box there are 3 bolts on the back of the flange you will need a 12 side 10mm socket for these then driveshaft will drop down .next there are another 2 bolts going in to the top of gearbox if you are leaning over the engine from the middle of car look at the top of the gearbox where the transfer box joins and you should see them .again very awkward and the 8mm ball end is best .then the transfer box will be loose so wiggle it a bit and pull and it should pop out then help it out square with a pry bar to avoid damaging the spline in the gearbox.
You will need to remember to drain the gearbox oil and refill it is all back together. You need a plug key set for that job.

He sent me a detailed description of what he did, I hope this helps:
You need to Jack up car .remove both front wheels. Then unbolt the outer suspension arm ball joints both sides only need to remove the end 3 bolts no need to take off from hub .pull down suspension arm to release with a big pry bar both sides. Then you need to unbolt the spline head bolts the hold the driveshaft to the gearbox think they were M10 spline and there are 6 each side I think. No need to take shaft out completely just the inner bolts .then pull out of way .next you need a very long M6 Allen head socket I used a 1/4 drive ratchet with lots of extensions to undo a bolt that's up the middle of passenger or drivers side driveshaft (can't remember which side, double check) holds the spline shaft in the gearbox from transfer box .can be tight and you may need to lock it .what I did was stick a Philips head screwdriver through one of driveshaft holes and lock it against the gearbox housing .then you need to go under car and remove the 2 bolts on the bottom of the transfer box best way is a 8 mm ball end Allen socket 3/8 drive so you can do it at a angle .then drain engine oil as there is a metal braided pipe that comes out the engine that's held on with 2 spline head bolts I think M8 spline. You need to remove these 2 bolts to release the pipe and allow it to move. then. there is a bracket at the back of the engine between transfer box that needs to come off 3 bolts I think it was very tight and awkward to do .then wiggle it out next go up top and you will need engine cover off down the back of engine you will see a driveshaft going in the back of transfer box there are 3 bolts on the back of the flange you will need a 12 side 10mm socket for these then driveshaft will drop down .next there are another 2 bolts going in to the top of gearbox if you are leaning over the engine from the middle of car look at the top of the gearbox where the transfer box joins and you should see them .again very awkward and the 8mm ball end is best .then the transfer box will be loose so wiggle it a bit and pull and it should pop out then help it out square with a pry bar to avoid damaging the spline in the gearbox.
You will need to remember to drain the gearbox oil and refill it is all back together. You need a plug key set for that job.

Thanks for a Good description, I tried to get the TC out but got stuck on the bracket, did not get it out. Wiggle hell out of it but it didnt want to come out, it was stuck between DFP(partikelfilter) and engineblock and transfercase, so I can't undo the last one of the 4 bolts that holds the Transfercase..