Have I been ripped off by Kwikfit for tyres?

vibratingwombat

Reaction score
Hi there wonder if you can help.

I drive a 2004 Audi A3 Sport TDI and a few days ago got a puncture. Despite last time I bought tyres from Kwikfit making a mental note that they are overpriced versus some of the online retailers (with free fitting at home) I still went in and bought some tyres because I was in a hurry.

I bought 2x rear 225/45 R17 Bridgestone Potenza S001 91Y tyres (advised these were very good and this was all they had in stock in anycase - at which point I should have walked away but regrettably didn't).

In any case, I get the bill and they have billed me for BR225/45Z17S001 - this is the internal product code on the bill. Unfortunately Kwikfit's site is no longer selling the tyres they code for here so I can't find out their official price nor work out whether they are the same tyre or not, but unfortunately the price discrepancy between Kwikfit and online if the tyres are the same is:

Kwikfit £304.50 fitted
eTyre £236.80 fitted

Clearly this is a massive difference if they are the same tyre but my concern is that the Kwikfit code has a Z (presumably pertaining to the speed rating) and the tyre itself is a Y. Have they just charged me for a more expensive tyre and fitted the cheaper one or is this just the price discrepancy between high-street and online?

Thanks,

Tim

Last edited:
idiot fit rip eberyone off
why dont you go in and ask them about the recipte or call head office

cant really expect kwikfit prices to be near internet prices really, £300 for 2 tyres is about right for 225/45/17 branded tyres. I didnt think there was a speed rating of Z? I always thought Y was the highest.

Surely you would have got a quote/enquired about the price before getting these fitted whether you was in a hurry or not?! So when the bill comes along at the end and doesn't match your quote, you can dispute it, instead of shooting the company down after you get home.

Agreed, its down to you, not kwik rip to check prices etc for you.

The other week a friend called me to say his misses has gone to KF for some tyres for her A3, 17" Pirelli P6000's. She was charged £340 for two tyres and £35 for tracking.

I checked online and the price was £240 for two tyres of that brand on their site? So, I called the branch in the morning for a quote and get quoted £225 plus £29 IF the tracking is in need of adjustment!!

When a visit to the branch was made to ask why she got charged so much more, yet I call the next morning and get a much lower price, she was given a £110 refund.

Very naughty for a nationwide chain like them to have old boy 'fleece a lady' attitude.

Thats just obscene & if that was my wife, I'd be allot less tame than that.

This situation is different to the OP's as in, he probably got charged the going rate by kwikfit, but to overcharge blatantly is absolutely disgusting & tbh I'd make everyone aware at the site they did this & would contact there area manager to complain & report to trading standards, why dont these companies act in a respectable manner.

I knew the answer to the op's question without even opening this thread to be honest lol, kwik fit rip people off, fact. However due to convenience of opening times, locations and peoples naivety at times they will continue to get away with it im afraid lol

If KwikFit were the last tyre shop on earth I'd give up driving. I'm sure there is the odd OK one out there, but in the main I hear nothing but bad news about them.

The thing is, they're not that kwik either & always damage the rim.