Have I bought the right Brembo calipers?

JimS3

Reaction score
Just bought these, I think there GT juniors, but the seller wasn't sure.

Have I got the right ones, or expensive door stops?!

Image zpsb2c6daac
Image zpse6615563
Image zps6756f6dd
Image zps0ed97136

Dont think their gt calipers mate. What did he say about them? What they come off?

There are two part numbers are on them

20 7885 00 and 20 7888 00

Cherrs!

Hmm, looks like they might be porsche rears... balls!

they are the wrong mounting by looks of things. They are Post mount, i believe we need the other IS mount

(unsure of terms for mounts, i only know it from mountain bikes)

Reactions: 16Klappe
Lug mount (like std calipers) or radial mount (like most aftermarket multipot calipers)

These 'look' like brembo jnrs to me... I can't tell from the PN's you posted but they do look like they are...

<tuffty/>

Cheers for all the replies guys.

They do look like the real deal, but I am only comparing them to pictures of others online.

Bit worried though as I cannot find any reference of the part numbers at all anywhere online, they dont seem to exist!

I am taking the part numbers from the insides of the two halves on the surfac beside the pistons, is this correct?

Is there anything I can measure to confirm the are gona work on my S3?

Why?

Sticking with 312's is like being blind and using your dog to play fetch.

Get yourself up to 323's.

Reactions: kwistof and *P3nfold*
Why?

Sticking with 312's is like being blind and using your dog to play fetch.

Get yourself up to 323's.

lol! Because last month I fitted new pagid 312 discs, and 323 discs are expensive. But if needs must...

There seem to be several sellers on ebay doing brackets that they state are suitable for both LCR and Junior GT calipers, but I have read the offset is different. Is that correct?

Reactions: Westy
You are better off just sourcing a complete LCR/Brembo jnr kit, bolt on and drive! I personally find it time consuming to source all the bits seperately, and if you are lucky, a complete kit will set you back 400-450ish I've seen some go for.

Be warned though, replacing discs and pads is expensive, there's no way round it, you buy rubbish pads, then you will have rubbish stopping power, which kinds of defeats the point of going Brembo's in the first place.

Bill @ Badger5 sells carriers for Brembo's to fit 323mm discs (sells the discs too)

For reference LCR Brembo's have a balance pipe on the outside of the caliper, Brembo Juniors don't...

<tuffty/>

Sorry if this may sound, rude but how much did you actually pay for those callipers?

I only ask as when you add new discs, pads, carriers, braided hose lines then it could be cheaper to just buy a LCR full set up for about £4-500 for the lot. It also sounds like you didn't even plan to buy them - otherwise why buy new 312mm discs?

As said above - it may be cheaper to just by a decent second hand set up from ebay or someone breaking a LCR unless you got the callipers at a very good price!

Sorry if this may sound, rude but how much did you actually pay for those callipers?

I only ask as when you add new discs, pads, carriers, braided hose lines then it could be cheaper to just buy a LCR full set up for about £4-500 for the lot. It also sounds like you didn't even plan to buy them - otherwise why buy new 312mm discs?

As said above - it may be cheaper to just by a decent second hand set up from ebay or someone breaking a LCR unless you got the callipers at a very good price!

Only problem with that option is that almost all second hand LCR brembos are knackered. And who actually runs second hand discs and pads?

if it turns out there not for your Car try and swap them with someone, or sell them again I suppose.

Good luck

Bill @ Badger5 sells carriers for Brembo's to fit 323mm discs (sells the discs too)

For reference LCR Brembo's have a balance pipe on the outside of the caliper, Brembo Juniors don't...

<tuffty/>

And the brake pipe goes into the middle of the caliper in LCRs, but on the Brembo jnrs, the brake pipe goes into the bottom of the caliper.

Only problem with that option is that almost all second hand LCR brembos are knackered. And who actually runs second hand discs and pads?

That's a pretty wild claim you're making there....I have been keeping an eye on the market for the past 6 months and I have seen some very good sets that have been refurbished and/or kept in a great condition by the owners.

I suppose the same people that would buy and run second hand suspension, alloys, tyres, ARBs etc

Or has everyone who has ever purchased second hand discs/pads then gone and crashed and burnt due to them being 'second hand'?

That's a pretty wild claim you're making there....I have been keeping an eye on the market for the past 6 months and I have seen some very good sets that have been refurbished and/or kept in a great condition by the owners.

I suppose the same people that would buy and run second hand suspension, alloys, tyres, ARBs etc

Or has everyone who has ever purchased second hand discs/pads then gone and crashed and burnt due to them being 'second hand'?

Its not a wild claim at all. I buy and refurbish Brembos as a hobby/side job. I'd say out of every ten sets, there are 1 that are in perfectly useable condition with no work other than cosmetic repair.

Big difference between second hand discs and pads, compared to all the other parts you mentioned (except tyres, but then I wouldn;t run 2nd hand tyres either). Discs and pads are consumables. And you have no idea how they've been previously treated. For the price of a set of discs and pads, I'd never run a second hand set.

I paid £150 for the callipers, they are brand new, still have the plugs in where the hoses go into and the seals are not broken.
They also came with new brembo pads.

I can get a pair of Pagid 323 discs for £122 on trade. The braided hoses will be £20 from HEL (there round the corner from me).

So far then £292. I was hoping to get brackets for around £100, making a brand new setup just under £400.

I originally planned not to mod the S3... But we all know how these things go. My parents had a 1998 A4 with the AEB engine (large port head) from new and I have just been given this. Took the engine out a few weeks ago and will rebuild the head over the next few months and hopefully fit this with a GT28RS. Hence wanting the brembos...

I have already replaced all suspension components, bushes, joints, arms, links, new koni shocks, eibach springs, roll bars etc. So should have a good base to work with.

LIES.

All knackered...Pull the other one! Next you will be saying we should buy a refurbished set off you.

How can you possibly make such a broad statement as though it were fact. Yeah sure, some of them will be ****ed. But not 9/10.

Last edited:
Reactions: kwistof
Its not a wild claim at all. I buy and refurbish Brembos as a hobby/side job. I'd say out of every ten sets, there are 1 that are in perfectly useable condition with no work other than cosmetic repair.

Big difference between second hand discs and pads, compared to all the other parts you mentioned (except tyres, but then I wouldn;t run 2nd hand tyres either). Discs and pads are consumables. And you have no idea how they've been previously treated. For the price of a set of discs and pads, I'd never run a second hand set.

So when you purchase(d) a second hand car- you require brand new discs, pads and tyres on the vehicle before you drive it away? I am pretty sure the majority of people on here have done just the opposite and lived to tell the tale....

I paid £150 for the callipers, they are brand new, still have the plugs in where the hoses go into and the seals are not broken.
They also came with new brembo pads.

I'd first of all have a little bit more of a dig online with those part numbers...

Failing this I'd take some pictures including the part numbers and email Brembo directly to see if they can shed some light on there own product and go from there....considering there brand new that seems a pretty good price.

Ohhh and personally I'd also try and swap/upgrade those brembo pads to DS2500

LIES.

All knackered...Pull the other one! Next you will be saying we should buy a refurbished set off you.

Not at all. You should know better than most folk the sort of condition they come in. Folk run them for 100k, never look at them, and sell them as perfect. Generally because they don;t know any better. At 1000 miles, brand new ones are starting to corrode under the sliders (****ty design)

So when you purchase(d) a second hand car- you require brand new discs, pads and tyres on the vehicle before you drive it away? I am pretty sure the majority of people on here have done just the opposite and lived to tell the tale....

Not before I drive it away, but when/if I buy a second hand car, the first thing I do is service it, replace discs, pads hoses and fluid, and fit new tyres. (plus new wipers, plates and bulbs)

Not before I drive it away, but when/if I buy a second hand car, the first thing I do is service it, replace discs, pads hoses and fluid, and fit new tyres. (plus new wipers, plates and bulbs)

Which is why I only buy second hand parts from enthusiasts, or people that look after performance parts correctly and not any chump of ebay with the cheapest listing- which is where I expect the majority of the Brembo's you pick up to recondition are from?

Which is why I only buy second hand parts from enthusiasts, or people that look after performance parts correctly and not any chump of ebay with the cheapest listing- which is where I expect the majority of the Brembo's you pick up to recondition are from?

I've never bought a set off ebay. Because they're all overpriced and owned by 'enthusiasts' who don;t have a clue about brakes

I've never bought a set off ebay. Because they're all overpriced and owned by 'enthusiasts' who don;t have a clue about brakes

So where do you buy your brakes from if ebay is overpriced and no one has a clue about brakes?

I am generally interested and slightly confused with your posts after saying you buy Brembos to refurbish/repair them as a hobby- surely you would be looking for the cheaper sets to refurbish and bring back into tip top condition? Therefore obviously the majority of sets are going to be knackered?

I would be looking for a set that has been reconditioned- like you said the majority have covered 100k+ miles and have never been removoed from the car for any inspection of maintenance.

So where do you buy your brakes from if ebay is overpriced and no one has a clue about brakes?

I am generally interested and slightly confused with your posts after saying you buy Brembos to refurbish/repair them as a hobby- surely you would be looking for the cheaper sets to refurbish and bring back into tip top condition? Therefore obviously the majority of sets are going to be knackered?

I would be looking for a set that has been reconditioned- like you said the majority have covered 100k+ miles and have never been removoed from the car for any inspection of maintenance.

I buy them from various places. Forums, gumtree etc, and I'm quite happy for them to be knackered. But most of the ones on ebay are knackered, yet wanting the same price as refurbished ones because they've had a coat of shoddily applied paint.

The big problem with them is that you can buy a set of brand spanking new calipers for £400, carriers for £50, hoses for £25, £100 for cheap discs and pads.
So its very easy for someone to buy a cheap brand new set, for not much more than a refurbished set.

I'd first of all have a little bit more of a dig online with those part numbers...

Failing this I'd take some pictures including the part numbers and email Brembo directly to see if they can shed some light on there own product and go from there....considering there brand new that seems a pretty good price.

Ohhh and personally I'd also try and swap/upgrade those brembo pads to DS2500

Will try and contact Brembo, hopefully they can confirm what they are.

Not had good experiences with performance pads in the past. Ran EBC green and red on a golf a long time ago.
They almost ripped your head off when hot, but were lethal when cold. Had a few near goes with them.

DS2500's work great on these... think they are around the £100 mark from Bill and his brackets were £120 ish for the pair.. not a fan of EBC...

<tuffty/>

lol! Because last month I fitted new pagid 312 discs, and 323 discs are expensive. But if needs must...

There seem to be several sellers on ebay doing brackets that they state are suitable for both LCR and Junior GT calipers, but I have read the offset is different. Is that correct?

thats cannot be correct - one bracket will not suit both
I have brackets for GT Juniors for S3 hubs for 323 disks here - £75 each

thats cannot be correct - one bracket will not suit both
I have brackets for GT Juniors for S3 hubs for 323 disks here - £75 each

Does that include VAT? How about delivery?