Having an Rs3 for the day on Monday... cannot wait.

EddieRS3

Reaction score
I have the S3 currently, 5 weeks old, amazing car, but it just doesn't excite me like I wanted it to! I popped over here a couple of weeks ago into the Rs3 forum :grimacing: and now here I am using one for the day and potentially ordering. Excited !

Reactions: 45bvtc, Sandra, RGBARGEE and 2 others
Would love a drive in one. That'll be a very quick change and potentially big loses.

Reactions: GRE57Y
The RS has more about it, I was captivated after my first drive. The experience is enhanced by the Dynamic mode & exhaust and (optional) mag ride suspension.

It's like a drug!

Reactions: 45bvtc, RGBARGEE and EddieRS3
How do people get these tests for the day?! I can only ever get 25 mins with a guy in a shiny suit...

Reactions: Jassyo06, FBF01, Terminator x and 1 other person
How do people get these tests for the day?! I can only ever get 25 mins with a guy in a shiny suit...
Just throw him in a the boot... It's what the cargo net is for if he tries to escape!

Reactions: RMJ891
Ha - "can you demonstrate the boot space by just climbing in, please?"

Reactions: Sandra and RYuill
See... You're already getting the hang of it! You'll be test-driving in no time! Great time to negotiate also!
"Let me out"
"Free mats?"
"Done!"

Reactions: RMJ891

To be fair mate I have just spent best part of 35k with the salesman, least he can do is lend me an Rs3 for the day ! And he knows he'll sell the Rs3 after this haha. I hope the car has the performance exhaust... or I'll be gutted !

To be fair mate I have just spent best part of 35k with the salesman, least he can do is lend me an Rs3 for the day ! And he knows he'll sell the Rs3 after this haha. I hope the car has the performance exhaust... or I'll be gutted !
Standard exhaust is fine....

Well I have just picked it up and it doesn't have the sports exhaust, but does have mag ride! I'll give a full review tonight after the day ahead... Quick point though, the Sepang Blue looks incredible, and I am not usually keen on blue at all!

Reactions: geo_nr1, Spaceman_RS3 and Sandra
Well I have just picked it up and it doesn't have the sports exhaust, but does have mag ride! I'll give a full review tonight after the day ahead... Quick point though, the Sepang Blue looks incredible, and I am not usually keen on blue at all!
Enjoy the car. We will all look forward to your review. :) x

Are you UK based as I didn't think it was possible to split the two in the UK.

TX.

So...update?
So far, the car is literally incredible... I have now got the privilege of having the Rs3 for another day, so have it overnight and will drop it back tomorrow PM. Will have pictures and full review tomorrow eve.

Reactions: Daniel McCormick, RYuill, jimojameso and 2 others
One night, 2 full days, 300 miles, £50 Tesco Momentum later... here I am to give my full opinion on the Rs3 after a couple of days.

A small bit of background for anyone who searches this post/reads it randomly. I have a brand new S3 (5 weeks old) and it is a beautiful car and I love it, but it doesn't get me as excited as I'd like for something around 300bhp. I enquired with my local dealer, and they kindly lent me the Rs3 for a couple of days.

First Impressions & Car Spec

Sepang Blue / Matt Aluminium pack / Matt Aluminium roof rails / Electric folding mirrors & auto dimming / 19" Titanium wheels with standard width tyres / Comfort & Sound package / Tech Pack with High mobile phone prep / Lunar Silver SSS / Extended Mono. interior / Magnetic ride / Standard Exhaust.

It is an eyeful, but not over the top.. nicely flared arches, just slightly wider than the S3 at the arches, but the same width everywhere else.

IMG_1350.jpg

IMG_1368.jpg

The car stands so well. I didn't like the Sepang Blue on pictures before I picked up, but I found that every time I looked at the car I fell in the love with the colour more and more. It is so so nice - however I was not keen on the extended aluminium pack, I'd have specced the black pack 100% for sure. The only reason for me really is that I now associate the matt aluminium style with things like the off-road A4 avants and things and I don't think it stands out as a proper hyper-hatch. The wheels in titanium did look incredible against the blue.

Sports Exhaust or Standard?!

When I first picked it up, I was sad to realise that it didn't have the sports exhaust. However, when I dropped it off, I cannot understand what the sports exhaust must sound like as the noise from the standard exhaust is genuinely incredible. Not ridiculously loud when driving normal, but the way that Audi have played about with the ECU to give the driver a better sound experience is nothing short of brilliant. When you start the car, it revs to about 2.5-2.8k just so you get a few crackles/pops as it moves back down to idle, when you change down a gear in dynamic mode the car overfuels a tiny bit to give you crackles/pops to make it sound phoenominal. My verdict is that the standard exhaust is genuinely more than enough, however I like to take things to the extreme, so I'd be speccing the sports exhaust (Who doesn't want more noise?! :wink new:)

Start up without any revs, and a warm engine. Link below -

http://vid1179.photobucket.com/albums/x386/multijfj/Rs3/IMG_1378.mp4

Mag Ride

My S3 has no mag ride, I didn't think I needed it as the suspension was hard enough. I WAS WRONG. The reason you spec mag ride is so that you can put the car in comfort mode and relax while driving. The difference between mag ride and no mag ride is incredible, you can put it into comfort, relax, and drive it like a normal A3. Whilst I appreciate this is not what most people buy an Rs3 for, for me this is excellent as I'd use it as a daily driver to commute to/from work. This is a 100% must have option for me. The side bonus is of course that the handling difference between my S3 and the Rs3 is a world apart, when in dynamic mode the Rs3 just sticks to the floor and you will always give up before the car does.

Interior & Interior Lights

Well basically the lunar silver leather was a definite no for me until I sat in this car. I took a few people in the car and the colour of the leather and the style of the SSS just creates a genuine feeling of luxury. Everybody's first comment was about the luxury interior (after talking about the noise of course!). I don't have the extended lights package in the S3, but I took a picture of the Rs3 at night when the package comes alive and it is beautiful, but not essential by any means.

IMG_1377.jpg

IMG_1389.jpg

Driving

I did about 70-80 miles in comfort, and the rest in Dynamic. The wife also came with me for 80% of the driving, and she drove for a good 30 miles also to get her opinion sorted. After all, she has the final say on whether we have it or don't! She absolutely loved it, but is more sensible than me when it comes to cost, so she could take it or leave it. (I want it!)

The Rs3 is absolutely ridiculously quick, it is a world apart from the pace of the S3. The throttle response is twice as good, twice as sensitive, the pick up of the power is 2-3 times fast than the S3, maybe it is due to the 5 cylinder engine I don't know but honestly the pick up at any part of the rev range is incredible.

There was 2 occasions where a gear change from 1st to 2nd was so violent it made the car jerk and made a pretty bad sound. I am fairly sure these weren't a sign of bad engineering or something is wrong with the car, more just like the car got through 1st gear so quick it wasn't sure when the next gear was coming into play. I also drive the car in manual mode whenever I put my foot down, never in automatic.

Launch Control was fun, I only tried it once as I didn't want to take the pi** with a demo car as the dealership was kind enough to lend it me for the two days. There were hints of wheelspin in this one (dry & clean road, clear weather, warm tyres) as apposed to virtually none in the S3, I think this is just down to the power.

The sound of the Rs3 is one of the best I have heard on the road. The combination of the 2.5 5cyl engine, the huge turbo whistling / dumping and the exhaust is just a recipe for perfection. I loved every second of it, and found that even the wife loved it so much we drove everywhere with the windows down. The car also had B&O sound system which I have in the S3, needless to say, it was never switched on. Complete waste of money :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

LED Lights

IMG_1371.jpg

Comes as standard of course, not much to say expect they are beautifully bright and the fog light options are excellent. You put them on and they give some vision at virtually right angles to the lights, they shine great along country roads so you can see the edge of the road. However, I don't see the major benefit over Xenons. Waste of money if they weren't standard.

Missing options?

Only thing missing for me was the sports exhaust and keyless entry and start. I am sad that you have to start a £45k car with a key, when I'd rather have the key in my pocket to make it easier getting in and out the car with my latte from Starbucks !

Overall opinion

The Rs3 is an amazing car. I have test drove the A45 also and there is no contest. The noise in the Rs3 gives off a natural impression whereas the A45 seems false. The build qualities of the two cars are so far apart also, & the luxury feel of the Rs3 is much better. There is something about an RS Audi that makes you feel good inside, you own the top version of that car model, and it feels good. People looked at me everywhere I went, probably because of the noise, but I did love that despite the understated looks, people still wonder what it is.

Is it worth the extra money over the S3? Personally, I think it is, but I can also understand that some people won't be sold on it. I genuinely fell in love with the car. It is everything I want from a car, a daily driver, a properly fast and exciting car that you can get all your shopping in and maybe a child seat at some point. The S3 doesn't have anywhere near the same excitement factor at all - and it is the excitement that makes you want to buy it. However, I must say that when I got back into my S3 today, I did not feel disappointed at all.

If I can secure a decent deal from my dealer, I will order one. Colour? Mrs wants Nardo Grey, I want Sepang or the Nardo. Guess we can save £550 and that pays for the exhaust ha!

Any questions, please free to ask and sorry for long post!

Reactions: nickatkinson, ColinC2, 45bvtc and 18 others
Super write up, good to hear from owners even if only for a few days ;)

TX.

Get the black pack on it looks much better
Sepang blue best colour for me!
This is my mums rs3 :)

Reactions: 45bvtc and EddieRS3
Great write up Eddie, music to my ears.. Although making the wait for my delivery worse!

I have specced keyless entry/start and no aluminium pack on mine btw, although in Panther Black Crystal..

So when are you putting your order in?! Will they help you out on the S3 value??

Reactions: EddieRS3
If the Mrs lets me!!
I think she will women are crafty she'll make it like she doesn't want to but then let's you, but now your doomed, forever. She has the upper hand.. She wants a new pair of shoes or handbag? "but I let you get the rs3" you feel guilty = shoes and handbag ;)

Reactions: Yeoy, Kelza, jimojameso and 1 other person
Thanks for review Eddie ;)it was nice to hear all this stuff…today my dealer call me and my Nogaro Blue RS3 is on the way to Poland…but he set it can take around 2weeks to see the car in my city:(((so long..i order with black pack,any one see some pics of the rs3 Nogaro????
best regards to all ;)

Reactions: Edition Noggy
Pleasure to read such a well balanced review - thanks Eddie. Also, some good pics :)

Most interesting to me is that you found Mag+19's in Comfort, more comfortable and relaxing than your S3 on 18's+std. Wow, I would have never thought that Mag could cover the extra firmness of 19's :blink:

Guess you must be feeling the lure of the options a little, as while I'm in a very similar position with my new S3, at least spec would be identical with SS Seats, Mag, ILP, Mono etc....

.... and FWIW, I change my mind every couple of days between hell yes and definitely no :worked till 5am:

Great review Eddie! Good pictures too. I can't wait to get mine. Roll on December!! :)

Great write up and highlights why so many of us love the RS3.

Reactions: Nimbus265 and DAYTONA 500
Great write up Eddie, music to my ears.. Although making the wait for my delivery worse!

I have specced keyless entry/start and no aluminium pack on mine btw, although in Panther Black Crystal..

So when are you putting your order in?! Will they help you out on the S3 value??

Well, I am not really sure. I think if I were to order I'd ask for delivery minimum March 2016 and then it gives me time to sell the S3 privately if I need to. Obviously the dealer can't give me a price for the s3 based on what it might be worth in 6 months time, but I am going Friday to have a chat about all the options. Watch this space...

One night, 2 full days, 300 miles, £50 Tesco Momentum later... here I am to give my full opinion on the Rs3 after a couple of days.

A small bit of background for anyone who searches this post/reads it randomly. I have a brand new S3 (5 weeks old) and it is a beautiful car and I love it, but it doesn't get me as excited as I'd like for something around 300bhp. I enquired with my local dealer, and they kindly lent me the Rs3 for a couple of days.

Sepang Blue / Matt Aluminium pack / Matt Aluminium roof rails / Electric folding mirrors & auto dimming / 19" Titanium wheels with standard width tyres / Comfort & Sound package / Tech Pack with High mobile phone prep / Lunar Silver SSS / Extended Mono. interior / Magnetic ride / Standard Exhaust.

It is an eyeful, but not over the top.. nicely flared arches, just slightly wider than the S3 at the arches, but the same width everywhere else.

IMG_1350.jpg

IMG_1368.jpg

The car stands so well. I didn't like the Sepang Blue on pictures before I picked up, but I found that every time I looked at the car I fell in the love with the colour more and more. It is so so nice - however I was not keen on the extended aluminium pack, I'd have specced the black pack 100% for sure. The only reason for me really is that I now associate the matt aluminium style with things like the off-road A4 avants and things and I don't think it stands out as a proper hyper-hatch. The wheels in titanium did look incredible against the blue.

When I first picked it up, I was sad to realise that it didn't have the sports exhaust. However, when I dropped it off, I cannot understand what the sports exhaust must sound like as the noise from the standard exhaust is genuinely incredible. Not ridiculously loud when driving normal, but the way that Audi have played about with the ECU to give the driver a better sound experience is nothing short of brilliant. When you start the car, it revs to about 2.5-2.8k just so you get a few crackles/pops as it moves back down to idle, when you change down a gear in dynamic mode the car overfuels a tiny bit to give you crackles/pops to make it sound phoenominal. My verdict is that the standard exhaust is genuinely more than enough, however I like to take things to the extreme, so I'd be speccing the sports exhaust (Who doesn't want more noise?! :wink new:)

Mag Ride

My S3 has no mag ride, I didn't think I needed it as the suspension was hard enough. I WAS WRONG. The reason you spec mag ride is so that you can put the car in comfort mode and relax while driving. The difference between mag ride and no mag ride is incredible, you can put it into comfort, relax, and drive it like a normal A3. Whilst I appreciate this is not what most people buy an Rs3 for, for me this is excellent as I'd use it as a daily driver to commute to/from work. This is a 100% must have option for me. The side bonus is of course that the handling difference between my S3 and the Rs3 is a world apart, when in dynamic mode the Rs3 just sticks to the floor and you will always give up before the car does.

Well basically the lunar silver leather was a definite no for me until I sat in this car. I took a few people in the car and the colour of the leather and the style of the SSS just creates a genuine feeling of luxury. Everybody's first comment was about the luxury interior (after talking about the noise of course!). I don't have the extended lights package in the S3, but I took a picture of the Rs3 at night when the package comes alive and it is beautiful, but not essential by any means.

IMG_1377.jpg

IMG_1389.jpg

Driving

I did about 70-80 miles in comfort, and the rest in Dynamic. The wife also came with me for 80% of the driving, and she drove for a good 30 miles also to get her opinion sorted. After all, she has the final say on whether we have it or don't! She absolutely loved it, but is more sensible than me when it comes to cost, so she could take it or leave it. (I want it!)

The Rs3 is absolutely ridiculously quick, it is a world apart from the pace of the S3. The throttle response is twice as good, twice as sensitive, the pick up of the power is 2-3 times fast than the S3, maybe it is due to the 5 cylinder engine I don't know but honestly the pick up at any part of the rev range is incredible.

There was 2 occasions where a gear change from 1st to 2nd was so violent it made the car jerk and made a pretty bad sound. I am fairly sure these weren't a sign of bad engineering or something is wrong with the car, more just like the car got through 1st gear so quick it wasn't sure when the next gear was coming into play. I also drive the car in manual mode whenever I put my foot down, never in automatic.

Launch Control was fun, I only tried it once as I didn't want to take the pi** with a demo car as the dealership was kind enough to lend it me for the two days. There were hints of wheelspin in this one (dry & clean road, clear weather, warm tyres) as apposed to virtually none in the S3, I think this is just down to the power.

The sound of the Rs3 is one of the best I have heard on the road. The combination of the 2.5 5cyl engine, the huge turbo whistling / dumping and the exhaust is just a recipe for perfection. I loved every second of it, and found that even the wife loved it so much we drove everywhere with the windows down. The car also had B&O sound system which I have in the S3, needless to say, it was never switched on. Complete waste of money :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

LED Lights

IMG_1371.jpg

Comes as standard of course, not much to say expect they are beautifully bright and the fog light options are excellent. You put them on and they give some vision at virtually right angles to the lights, they shine great along country roads so you can see the edge of the road. However, I don't see the major benefit over Xenons. Waste of money if they weren't standard.

Missing options?

Only thing missing for me was the sports exhaust and keyless entry and start. I am sad that you have to start a £45k car with a key, when I'd rather have the key in my pocket to make it easier getting in and out the car with my latte from Starbucks !

Overall opinion

The Rs3 is an amazing car. I have test drove the A45 also and there is no contest. The noise in the Rs3 gives off a natural impression whereas the A45 seems false. The build qualities of the two cars are so far apart also, & the luxury feel of the Rs3 is much better. There is something about an RS Audi that makes you feel good inside, you own the top version of that car model, and it feels good. People looked at me everywhere I went, probably because of the noise, but I did love that despite the understated looks, people still wonder what it is.

Is it worth the extra money over the S3? Personally, I think it is, but I can also understand that some people won't be sold on it. I genuinely fell in love with the car. It is everything I want from a car, a daily driver, a properly fast and exciting car that you can get all your shopping in and maybe a child seat at some point. The S3 doesn't have anywhere near the same excitement factor at all - and it is the excitement that makes you want to buy it. However, I must say that when I got back into my S3 today, I did not feel disappointed at all.

If I can secure a decent deal from my dealer, I will order one. Colour? Mrs wants Nardo Grey, I want Sepang or the Nardo. Guess we can save £550 and that pays for the exhaust ha!

@EddieS3 - Great write up :thumbs up:

Reactions: Nimbus265

IMG_1350.jpg

IMG_1368.jpg

Mag Ride

IMG_1377.jpg

IMG_1389.jpg

Driving

LED Lights

IMG_1371.jpg

Missing options?

Overall opinion

Any questions, please free to ask and sorry for long post![/QUOTE
Will the dealer get you out of the S3 as i am am I in the same predicament with my S3 should I swap for the RS?

IMG_1350.jpg

IMG_1368.jpg

Mag Ride

IMG_1377.jpg

IMG_1389.jpg

Driving

LED Lights

IMG_1371.jpg

Missing options?

Overall opinion

Great write up and photos and for me makes it all the more interesting considering you've only had your S3 for 5 weeks.

Great Eddie, good to see a straightforward sensible review (not just because I rate the RS3 as a road car)

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and DAYTONA 500
Thanks for review Eddie ;)it was nice to hear all this stuff…today my dealer call me and my Nogaro Blue RS3 is on the way to Poland…but he set it can take around 2weeks to see the car in my city:(((so long..i order with black pack,any one see some pics of the rs3 Nogaro????
best regards to all ;)

We'll be getting some! Don't suppose you fancy driving the RS3 to the UK for one our our Nogaro photo events next year!?

Good review, great colour, but like you I am changing from an S3 which is Sepang, so can't go for the same colour again really.

Well done getting the wife involved and on board, I have just ordered it and told her a few days later haha.

Reactions: Marshy and T-800
Well......... after all of this I have pushed the button and placed the order !!

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3, Snake Pliskin, Rs1 and 7 others