hazard switch illuminates while car is locked.

donnie69

Reaction score
hello,i am new to this but need help,i have a 2001 a4 2.5tdi quattro.couple of months ago battery went dead,bought new battery.all was well for a couple of weeks then battery would die again,threw on jump leads,started fine.recharged battery but charge would last anywhere from 3 days to 2 wweks before dying again,i had esp light on for a few months before this and wasn't sure if this would contribute.recently got a 2nd hand steering angle sensor and that fixed esp problem.got another new battery 4 weeks ago,still working although been a little sluggish to start a few mornings.noticed a few nights ago that the hazard warning light in dash was illuminated after car was locked.opened car and re-locked it,stood watching for a few minutes.the light would stay on for around 30 secs like it should then go off.then would illuminate intermittently off and on while car was locked.wondering if ccm could be responsible for battery drain,maybe not shutting down properly?couple of years ago we did have the common plenum chamber problem,cost us £800 to fix.back then the drivers footwell was getting wet, also noticed the ecu box under bonnet/drivers side was cracked,letting water in,fixed now.any suggestions welcome please.

The hazard switch stays illuminated as you said for 30 seconds then switches off. Sounds like you have a current draw somewhere draining off the battery. You need to get an ammeter hooked up to the car and see whats being drawn out the battery with the car all locked up.

Check the boot , glovebox lights and anything like that are switched off when its all locked up.
Do some searching on here as its been covered a few times...

thanks for the feedback,yeah i disconnected the boot light,glove box light stays off too.

thought i'd add an update,got a new central convenience module,car was in the local vw/audi dealer today to get it fitted and re-programmed.i was told to see how i get on,got home and after locking car the hazard switch stayed illuminated for about three hours,just went out to check and it seems to stay off for 10secs then illuminates for 5 secs,i have watched this for about 5mins and it is very consistent.when it was going on and off before there didn't seem to be a consistent pattern of illumination it was very random.does this make sense to anybody. is there a certain progaram/cycle it goes through that can be changed or customised.like the length of time it is illuminated after locking then intermittent flashing before totally staying off.i'm probably clutching at straws here.lol.not sure if my problem still exists with battery drain.any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
well,good news.car finally fixed.car was in local dealership,after 6 hours trying to find the fault the technician found out the draw was from fuse 13,steering column module.was told would take a few days to get new part.(8E0 953 549N).was told to take fuse out at night.after doing so i noticed hazard light still illuminated so what i done was take out fuse 13,pop bonnet,lock car then disconnect negative terminal from battery,re-connect it then close bonnet.listen for alarm chirp then after a few secs light would go out.got new part fitted today and all back to normal,thank f***.so after buying a new central convenience module,i now have a spare one that will be getting listed on ebay.thank you very much to everybody for the advice.