Hazard warning switch help!!

SPORT180

Reaction score
I have a A4 2.5 tdi quattro sport 2001 on the newer shape. I have a problem with my hazard warning lights that i can't fix and ran out of idears.

You press the switch and nothing happens. I have changed the switch and did not solve.

Both indcators work normally. If you press the button on the key fob they go on and off as they should. I can't find a fuse gone in the fuse box or one marked up for them. I have no wiring diagram that i can use to check or find the relay.I need hep as i need to fix this so my car will pass its mot.

i would have suggested a relay at fault!
but if the relay for your hazards are indeed located in the switch itself as blackquat suggests i personally would get the car scanned with vagcom to pinpoint an area!

Its the small hazard switch. 8E0 941 509 and i have already changed it

can't find a relay in back of the switch opened up the back only a small board that has the switch on it and the leds the it uses are soldered onto

Last edited:
someone will be here soon to assist brother!
where is quattrojames when you need him?
sounds like a relay dude! sit tight and the boys will be here to advise! :icon_thumright:

Reactions: SPORT180
does the indicators work fine m8 and with key out the parking lights work ok ??? similar thing happened to my cupra and it was dust got into the indicator stalk causing it £3 tin of switch cleaner cured that fault......... my prob was my relay in the switch was clicking like crazy and hazard n/w intermittantly.............

Parking lights work ok with key out indicators work fine when used no excess clicking or sticking

yeah turkster my thoughts excactly, this problem seems so similar to the issue i had with the cupra... and was told to clean the contacts with spray and couldnt believe how cheap the fix was

but the indicators are working? Its just the hazard light switch not working?

its a common issue across the vag range they somehow connect or use the same relay somehow

:banghead: i have tried looking for a relay not in back of switch like earlier models dont have a wiring diagram or know were the relay could be located

but why would the relay be at fault when like stated the indicators work correctly and so does alarm on/off..... im just stating i had nearly the same issue as you and like you i tryed a hazard switch to no difference made and read of google the issue ppl have with vag's and its down to the dust and crap getting into the connections inside the stalk..... the fix was cheap a can of contact cleaner from maplins £3...... you may not have this fault but its very similar to the one i had thats what forums are for to share like minded info just thought its worth a shot.

but why would the relay be at fault when like stated the indicators work correctly and so does alarm on/off..... im just stating i had nearly the same issue as you and like you i tryed a hazard switch to no difference made and read of google the issue ppl have with vag's and its down to the dust and crap getting into the connections inside the stalk..... the fix was cheap a can of contact cleaner from maplins £3...... you may not have this fault but its very similar to the one i had thats what forums are for to share like minded info just thought its worth a shot.

I have cleaned out the indicator switch this has not fixed the problem. Does anyone know where the relay is or have a wiring diagram?

i dont know if yours is the same as mine, but i tried my hazards today and the relay sound seems to be behind the clocks or lower down from the clocks mate!

i have most of the dash out but cant find the relay had my hand up there and had a look were i could see at the back of the clocks only looks like connectors into the back

Does anyone have a wiring digram for this car that i can look at ? It might help me find the problem

The only power i have on the switch pin is 12v across pins 3 and 6 the reast are dead

Up date cannot find the cause .I have changed the switch with a brand new one. Switch pin 6 is 12v+ pin3 and pin 4 are earth pin 2 does not have power this seams to go the power control had this out checked the connections. Any one have a circuit diagram for this car?

Last edited: