Head-Up Display Retrofit B9 8W

pturner3

Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone any experience with retrofitting Head Up Display KS1 to A4 B9? My car is 2019 Sport Edition RS4.

I have VCP, HEX-NET and current flow diagrams, workhop manual.

Looking into this the hardware side looks fairly straight forward:

Dash: 8W2857001J
HUD unit with integrated contorl module (J898): 8W5919617C
Light switch for HUD adjustment: 4M0941531P
New windscreen - lets place this requirement aside for now...

Looking at the current flow diagrams, there doesn't appear be too much wiring to connect. Would be interested to seek advice, and also on coding, using 2nd hand HUD, HUD calibration etc...

Thanks,
Phil

Hi DJAlix. Thanks, yes I'm aware that would be needed. That aside, there doesn't appear to be much information or experience across any forums. Makes me think that could be for good reason! Nothing I have found at this stage of research is putting me off..

Have all this sussed out now and all the parts afrer hours of research. It can be done for certain. I will follow up once it's completed. Could be a few weeks yet...

Reactions: Iby_d and SPIKE_
Hi, saw your posts on Ross tech and seems you managed to do it. Well-done!

Hi, thanks yes finally found time to complete it after gathering the main parts from eBay! I didn't get time to write it up, but always here for a message/advice on the job if someone reads this post.

Will update this post with a full comprehensive parts list, tips, wiring instructions and coding required, for anyone else wanting to do the same.

Reactions: SiPie and Void20
Hi, thanks yes finally found time to complete it after gathering the main parts from eBay! I didn't get time to write it up, but always here for a message/advice on the job if someone reads this post.

Will update this post with a full comprehensive parts list, tips, wiring instructions and coding required, for anyone else wanting to do the same.

pturner3, were you able to put together a more information on the wiring and installation? I am very interested in this install, and I have everything. I'm just waiting to figure out the wiring before I start the install. Could you let me know where to connect the wires?

Thanks!

The dash crossmember (steel framing) is a single part for all B9 I believe, with the HUD bracket holes already there. They are square holes, which allow for alignment. I set the brackets as 'high' as possible and this worked well on my car for the final HUD position relative to the dashboard. (The HUD mounts to the crossmember, and not the dashboard).

Note: Cutting into a non-HUD dashboard is not recommended, since the correct HUD dashboard has the pre-moulded air ducting routed around the cut out. This will simply end up with an awful install and HVAC air leaking out behind the dashboard. In simple terms, you need the correct dashboard for HUD.

For B9 cars there is a small air ducting part that is unique to HUD models (PR Code KS1).

I will add full parts list needed for RHD cars in due course...

There are 4 wires. The can bus high and low connect into back of dash display can bus. (Infotainment bus). To connect into can bus I used the pin repair crimps and crimp tool. Ring terminal earth goes to nearest ground point. Live taken from 6A fused feed from main fuse terminal... of which differs depending on LHD or RHD models.

I will follow up with more info. In the meantime please PM me.

Cheers, Phil