Head Up display

ScottishA4B9

Reaction score
I have noticed that there are quite a few genuine Audi Head up display units for sale for the B9 on eBay.

My question is, would it just be a plug in and code situation to get it to work?

I see that cars not fitted with the head up display still have the slot for it, but just blanked off.

I could be wrong but if it's anything like some of the other systems out there you actually need to have a special section on the windscreen to allow for the reflection to happen correctly so you'd have to take the cost of that into consideration and I can't imagine you'd see much change from £800 fitted.

There is also a switch next to the headlight switch for adjusting the display.

I would have thought that it would require programming of the vcds, anything thats not standard that has to interface with the cars system seems to need it these days. I can't believe it would be plug and play. Can you provide any links?

I never said it was plug and play. I just asked if it might be the case of putting it in and coding it with VCDS.

I was agreeing with your first statement so I apologise but there was no offence intended. Why not post up your query in the vcds related thread, I think there is one as it can only be answered by someone who has access to the hardware and software...

Last edited:
Local dealer told me the the heads up system comes with a different front windscreen than would be fitted at the factory if you hadn't ordered. Apparently there is a very VERY thin layer of gold molecules scattered between the panes of glass which is what the light from the unit reflects from. I would imagine this precludes buying one of eBay (unless I've been told a load of rubbish!)

It's also why replacement screens cost so much if you have the heads up.

It probably won't be as easy as it seems. I doubt there will even be codes etc out for the B9 yet anyway.