Facelift Headlamp converters for UK S3 in France

RustyTheSnowman

Reaction score
I'm off to France with the family soon in my 2017 S3. The car already has the hi-vis jacket, triangle and first aid kit, and I've bought a couple of breathalysers. My number plates already have the GB logo on them.

My S3 has Matrix LED headlights - can anybody help me with the positioning of the headlamp converter stickers? Do I even need them?

Thanks!

i think they automatically adjust? but please dont count on my word!

Reactions: Audi Bairn
i think they automatically adjust? but please dont count on my word!

I was wondering the same. I could ask the dealer to find out and even if it is the case, not sure I'd be able to convince a French motorway copper!

You don't need them. I took my S3 over the water last year, and I'm pretty sure when I looked it up the manual said deflector things. Le Flic is more interested in your kph than your lights

Is there the option to change them to RH driving in the MFD?

I was in France with my S3 in early July. I understand breathalysers are no longer required.

S3 comes with LED headlights as standard. Manual states no need for any modifications. Xenons yes, LEDs no.

Have fun over there!
AC

As stated above , no need to do anything, the manual says.

Applies to: vehicles with xenon headlights

The asymmetric low beams of the headlights are designed to light up the nearside of the road more intensely. If you drive a right-hand drive vehicle in a left-hand drive country, or vice versa, you will dazzle oncoming traffic. To avoid dazzling oncoming traffic, you can select Lights for driving on left or Lights for driving on right.

On vehicles with LED headlights*, the headlights are suitable for driving on either side of the road.

I was in France with my S3 in early July. I understand breathalysers are no longer required.

S3 comes with LED headlights as standard. Manual states no need for any modifications. Xenons yes, LEDs no.

Have fun over there!
AC

Last time I checked, it was only adaptive Xenons which needed adjustment (which can be done via the MMI). Standard Xenons don't.

I've had two 8Vs, both with standard Xenons and they don't require any adjustment because the beam doesn't "kick up" on the nearside (left) like they used to so it won't dazzle oncoming traffic when driving on the right.

As above, breathalysers are no longer needed. Keep your safety jackets within reach and not in the boot, dads been fined for this. Bulb kit is the law too but not sure how you would go about this in a car with Zenons! Defo change your speed on the MMI to KPH and don't forget that all speeding fines are now sent back to your UK address! this started in may this year!

As above, breathalysers are no longer needed. Keep your safety jackets within reach and not in the boot, dads been fined for this. Bulb kit is the law too but not sure how you would go about this in a car with Zenons! Defo change your speed on the MMI to KPH and don't forget that all speeding fines are now sent back to your UK address! this started in may this year!
Be careful as French speed cameras are pretty much set at the limit and S3's have an uncanny ability to go past 130kph !! Might all change back again if we ever sort Brexit...

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Ormesome
With modern cars with LEDs/Xenons, bulb kits are pretty much a waste of time. I have an ancient one I bought from Audi which I'd take with me to produce if needed, but it's utterly useless :)

FL Xenons have the setting in MMI to switch between RHD and LHD mode for lights.

Are you sure as it used to be only adaptive xenons on the pre-FL.

The old 8P's Xenons could be switched but only by a dealer (at a cost) or via VCDS. All that did was dip them a bit more, it didn't change the light pattern from RHD to LHD.

Reactions: Rideen
Are you sure as it used to be only adaptive xenons on the pre-FL.

The old 8P's Xenons could be switched but only by a dealer (at a cost) or via VCDS. All that did was dip them a bit more, it didn't change the light pattern from RHD to LHD.

FL only has one type of xenons unlike preFL. :)

Thanks all for the info, very helpful! I learnt elsewhere that everyone in the car needs a hi-vis jacket so bought one of those for my daughter (there are two adult ones under the middle backseat already)